News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Pretty sure that's where Ford's mind was at: "we have vaccines going out to members of the general public now, we can just start reopening."

Doug Ford, the only man capable of repeatedly stepping on his own testicles.

I am guessing - but my view is that his MO has always been hoping the vaccines would tide him over reopening and spread of COVID, until herd immunity kicks in. Except his genius math is off.

Testicles? He has them?

AoD

I am guessing - but my view is that his MO has always been hoping the vaccines would tide him over reopening and spread of COVID, until herd immunity kicks in. Except his genius math is off.

A grasp of exponential and logarithmic equations is probably non-existent in at least half of Ontarians these days. And let's face it, I doubt a single Ford family member has ever taken a high school math class beyond what's mandatory (let alone passed it the first time around).

Testicles? He has them?

He fathered human beings that look like him, so presumably has at least one.

Soo....

The Auditor General's Office released a report this week on LTCs and Covid in Ontario.

Its frankly, unsurprisingly, damning in so many ways.

While the management response, particularly early on, was bungled by the current government.........

The report does correctly point out that the Liberals let a lot of problems fester over 15 years; including building next to no new long term care capacity; and failing to see proper standards around quality of life and infection control implemented in a timely way (notably capping residents to 2 per room; which has been the approved Ministry Standard since 1999) .

The standard is not an arbitrary one, as LTCs that had no more than 2 residents in any room had far fewer outbreaks and deaths during Covid.

The AG previously reported on the need for this and the slow pace of change in 2009. Not much was done.

At any rate, before I get into more detail; the report link:

So we'll kick off the charts and quotes by looking further into the above 2-person per room maximum standard.

"The Ministry released its new resi-dency standards in 1999 in its Long-Term Care Design Manual. However, home operators were not required to renovate an existing home until its licence expired. As such, Ontario currently has many long-term-care homes that are operating under older design standards."

"The Ministry could not tell us how many of these beds will need to be renovated to meet the new design standards that limit room occupancy to two residents"

Excuse me? That is something that the Ministry is not entitled to be ignorant of!

It gets better:

"The Ministry and the LHINs, who are responsible for placing residents in long-term-care homes, did not know how many residents were actually housed in three- or four-bed wards when the pandemic hit the long-term-care sector in March 2020"

"We also noted in our analysis that 15 of the 16 homes where over half of the home’s residents contracted COVID-19 in the period we reviewed (March 19 to August 31, 2020) were for-profit homes that had primarily older bedroom designs. "

"For-profit homes housed 53% of the beds in the province (Figure 3), but accounted for 70% of the resident deaths from March 19 to August 31, 2020. More than half of for-profit long-term-care homes in Ontario have primarily older bedroom designs. In comparison, about 15% of non-profit and muni-cipal homes have primarily older bedroom designs."

That's one hell of a correlation!

Get a load of this comparison between Ontario and BC:

"According to a September 2020 article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, 63% of Ontario long-term-care home residents were in a shared room with one to three other residents prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. In comparison, only 24% of long-term-care home residents in British Columbia were in a shared room before COVID-19. The article indicated that, as of September 10, 2020, British Columbia had a resident infection rate of 1.7% compared with Ontario’s rate of 7.6%."

Also

"A study published in the Journal of the Amer-ican Medical Association in November 2020 found that residents in Ontario long-term-care homes that were “highly crowded,” where the majority of residents are housed in shared bedrooms and wash-rooms were more than twice as likely to develop infection and die from COVID-19 than residents in homes with mainly single-occupancy rooms. The study was conducted on 618 homes where a total of 5,218 residents developed COVID-19 infections and 1,452 died of COVID-19 from March 29 to May 20, 2020."

Another reason BC did better:

1619705148902.png

This is big............The Liberals get credit for passing the legislation below, but they chose not to proclaim it either.......so they and the current government wear the result.

In 2018, the province passed amendments to the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 and Regulation 79/10 to allow fines and penalties. However, at the time of our 2020 continuous follow-up, the amendments had not yet been proclaimed. The Ministry told us during our 2020 continuous follow-up work that it had decided to not implement any fines or penalties; instead, it will be taking a “supportive” rather than a punitive approach to overseeing homes. We have significant concerns about this decision: • The Ministry could not explain what its supportive approach entailed or how it intends to implement it.

Of note here is that non-compliance with standards is a big issue in the LTC sector.

Now lets talk about how the lack of full-time staff created a good deal of the risk experienced during the pandemic.

Part-time staff often work full-time hours in 2 or more facilities, as opposed to working full-time hours in 1 facility which reduces the risk of contagion.

For those working part-time hours it also typically means lower levels of training and experience.

1619705659924.png

Some part-time staff will always be part of any employment model, but I would like to see us at or above 80% FT in this sector.

I'll leave it at that for now, but I encourage anyone w/interest in fixing these issues to follow the link and read the entire report.

Its a litany of issues that the Ontario government and the Ministry of Long Term Care knew about long before Covid, and under successive parties made far too little effort, if any, to resolve.

Fair warning, not to dissuade, but only to help you prepare:

The "side effects" (ie; your body's immune reaction) can be pretty damn strong. You've more than double the chance of getting them on your first shot with AstraZeneca (33.7%) vs Pfizer (13.5%). I suspect Moderna is on par with Pfizer. We got our shots at 11:15am on Monday.

I woke up at 1am Tuesday with chills so bad I could barely stop shaking. I had to get fully dressed before crawling back into bed. Fatigue, joint aches and a temperature (unmeasured) had already set in then as well. I had quite a hard time sleeping.

By morning, the chills were gone, but I still had a temperature (<37.5°C) that lasted until noon. Most of the fatigue and aching was gone by 3pm, but a little bit lingered. All told, I was back to 98% by Wednesday morning. My shoulder still feels like I fell off a horse (memories of my youth).

My wife’s reaction was more delayed. It wasn’t until first thing yesterday that headache, fatigue and temperature kicked in. But hers were subtler and more manageable. She was able to work through it all and it was almost entirely gone by the end of yesterday.

Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen in concert (if you can); it’ll definitely take the edge off.

You may or may not get these side effects—most apparently, don’t—according to the study results linked to above.

Just remember a strong reaction is a good thing. It means a healthy immune system that’s reacting strong and fast. The sense of relief they comes with vaccination helped tamp some of that down for me.

Also; sign up for this;

It’s a study of Covid vaccine reactions. They take a report 8 days after your first and second vaccination, as well as a midpoint and at 6 months.

Thanks for the heads up. I booked at a hospital, so I'll be getting Pfizer or Moderna (thankfully!) My mom, who is in her 80's, got her first shot on March 25th (Pfizer), and had no side effects whatsoever, so I'm hopeful that I won't either!

I had no side effects at all with AZ. I only know one person who did. My cousin had a very nasty reaction to Pfizer, but he has a significant underlying condition.

Fair warning, not to dissuade, but only to help you prepare:

The "side effects" (ie; your body's immune reaction) can be pretty damn strong. You've more than double the chance of getting them on your first shot with AstraZeneca (33.7%) vs Pfizer (13.5%). I suspect Moderna is on par with Pfizer. We got our shots at 11:15am on Monday.

I woke up at 1am Tuesday with chills so bad I could barely stop shaking. I had to get fully dressed before crawling back into bed. Fatigue, joint aches and a temperature (unmeasured) had already set in then as well. I had quite a hard time sleeping.

By morning, the chills were gone, but I still had a temperature (<37.5°C) that lasted until noon. Most of the fatigue and aching was gone by 3pm, but a little bit lingered. All told, I was back to 98% by Wednesday morning. My shoulder still feels like I fell off a horse (memories of my youth).

My wife’s reaction was more delayed. It wasn’t until first thing yesterday that headache, fatigue and temperature kicked in. But hers were subtler and more manageable. She was able to work through it all and it was almost entirely gone by the end of yesterday.

Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen in concert (if you can); it’ll definitely take the edge off.

You may or may not get these side effects—most apparently, don’t—according to the study results linked to above.

Just remember a strong reaction is a good thing. It means a healthy immune system that’s reacting strong and fast. The sense of relief they comes with vaccination helped tamp some of that down for me.

Also; sign up for this;

It’s a study of Covid vaccine reactions. They take a report 8 days after your first and second vaccination, as well as a midpoint and at 6 months.

Think of it like a "bee sting" or a "mosquito bite".

mad-truths-about-bee-stings.jpg
668-Mosquito_Bites-642x361-slide1.jpg

From link and link..

Last edited:
The vaccine hurt far less than a bee sting. I barely felt anything.
It actually stung quite a bit going in. I've never had a vaccine of any sort sting like this one. I suspect it was close to a nerve though, as my wife's was like yours.

I have a feeling that as an immune reaction, the number of those with side effects will grow as the average age of those getting the shots drops. The average age of those in the study I linked to was mid-60s; and you've gotta imagine that at top end of that group, the immune system is almost non-existent. Most of my peers (I'm 46) seem to be having heavy immune reactions. I know few who've had absolutely nothing, even amongst those who've received mRNAs.

We already had SARS and didn't seem to learn much, if anything from it.
I don’t think we suffered enough for it to make a meaningful impact. Other countries who really suffered through the SARS pandemic were better prepared. It got bad here, but it looks like it wasn’t bad enough to change the status quo.

Back