News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

This sounds like promising news:

It should be noted too that the UK have stretched their’s out to three months.
Honestly, I kinda hope the vaccine shopping idiots keep that idiocy up and AZ remains plentiful. That way those who "took the chance" can get a timely booster (ie; as close to manufacturer schedule as possible). We still have 20m AZ shots on deck from the US plant, and the US is flush with Pfizer.

This sounds like promising news:

It should be noted too that the UK have stretched their’s out to three months.
Yeah it was definitely more than 3-4 weeks between my family there getting both doses (probably about a bit over 2 months for them). One thing I've been trying to keep in mind is that the 3 week timeline is essentially the minimum spacing between doses because obviously we were trying to develop vaccines as fast as possible, which means doing the trials in the shortest timeframes possible. It's entirely possible the optimum spacing is somewhat further apart, but obviously they didn't have time to do extensive tests of a wide variety of timelines. Ideally we can speed those second doses up as much as possible, but I don't think it's the apocalyptic disaster people on Twitter make it out to be.

I really hope the upcoming flood of vaccines will eliminate the ridiculous 4 month gap between the first and second shot. They should be a month apart, tops.
I'm not that annoyed with this wait. We’re lucky any vaccines exist at all. We have no vaccines for HIV (32 million dead, including up to 970k in 2019). IMO we‘re taking this miracle of science for granted.

I'm not that annoyed with this wait. We’re lucky any vaccines exist at all. We have no vaccines for HIV (32 million dead, including up to 970k in 2019). IMO we‘re taking this miracle of science for granted.

I'm pretty sure if HIV were an economy-shuttering virus, a vaccine or effective treatment would have become a top spending priority for governments worldwide. Money, or its reduction, is the great motivator in life.

I'm pretty sure if HIV were an economy-shuttering virus, a vaccine or effective treatment would have become a top spending priority for governments worldwide. Money, or its reduction, is the great motivator in life.
That may be so, but it’s no justification for people whining about having to wait up to sixteen weeks for their second dose.

AIUI, no one has died or even been hospitalized due to Covid after their first shot. Considering this outbreak is only a little more than a year on, that’s a breakthrough of science.

It also doesn’t help that life expectancy (at least in the developed world) of those with treated HIV/AIDS has been statistically on par of those without. Especially given that HIV as a virus is a tough nut to crack.

That all said, mRNA brings a new vigour to the creation of an HIV vaccine and a lot of other scientific wonders. It’s one of Covid’s only redeeming values.

AIUI, no one has died or even been hospitalized due to Covid after their first shot. Considering this outbreak is only a little more than a year on, that’s a breakthrough of science.

Yes they have. it takes two shots for the vaccine to work.

HIV is a much tougher nut to crack, given that it attacks the immune system itself and can lie dormant in tissues for a long time. If HIV were as infectious as COVID, we would be absolutely doomed as a species.

That may be so, but it’s no justification for people whining about having to wait up to sixteen weeks for their second dose.

A local doctor has warned that they are seeing people with 1 vaccination admitted to ICU, so not to treat partial vaccination as license to let your guard down.

A local doctor has warned that they are seeing people with 1 vaccination admitted to ICU, so not to treat partial vaccination as license to let your guard down.
Agreed. But to my central point, what say you to people whining about having to wait 16 weeks. I’m fine to keep my guard up for another few months, what difference does it make after a year plus of wfh and isolation.

We literally started with a disease we knew absolutely nothing about a year ago - and now we have multiple vaccines in the 90% effectiveness range and vaccinating at a rate of 100M+ per month. That's unprecedented in history. Nothwithstanding the uneven access, it is still an absolutely remarkable achievement.

AoD

We literally started with a disease we knew absolutely nothing about a year ago - and now we have multiple vaccines in the 90% effectiveness range and vaccinating at a rate of 100M+ per month. That's unprecedented in history.

AoD
This is indeed a stroke of great luck. By no means was this a foregone conclusion, especially given our failure to develop vaccines for SARS and MERS.

This is indeed a stroke of great luck. By no means was this a foregone conclusion, especially given our failure to develop vaccines for SARS and MERS.

If SARS and MERS went on and became global, I am fairly certainly we would have been a lot more successful at developing a vaccine for them. No one is really interested in creating vaccines for diseases that popped up only once or twice.

AoD

Back