News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Complaining is a hobby for most people. I personally think it is the correct call. Shame we didn't do what we could to mitigate this third wave when we knew the vaccine was on the horizon.

It is - some protection for most is better than great protection for only a few - especially when vaccine availability is on an increasing curve.

AoD

We literally started with a disease we knew absolutely nothing about a year ago - and now we have multiple vaccines in the 90% effectiveness range and vaccinating at a rate of 100M+ per month. That's unprecedented in history. Nothwithstanding the uneven access, it is still an absolutely remarkable achievement.

AoD
Someone deserves a Noble Prize in science for this. My vote is for these two https://www.univision.com/univision...-scientist-who-paved-way-for-covid-19-vaccine

I'm pretty sure if HIV were an economy-shuttering virus, a vaccine or effective treatment would have become a top spending priority for governments worldwide. Money, or its reduction, is the great motivator in life.
Plus, HIV was predominantly killing gay men, who many politicians at the time either hated (Thatcher) or at best, did not care about (Reagan). Homophobia is a huge part of why we didn't treat HIV the way we treated Covid. And then when the disease moved primarily to Africa, racism became the reason we continued to ignore it. The way the world mobilized around Covid is impressive, but it makes the way they handled HIV over the last 30ish years even more repulsive. Hell, they wouldn't even call it a pandemic despite it fitting every definition of the term.

The only good thing to come out of this pandemic is that maybe we can use the same mRNA tech to create an HIV vaccine.

We literally started with a disease we knew absolutely nothing about a year ago - and now we have multiple vaccines in the 90% effectiveness range and vaccinating at a rate of 100M+ per month. That's unprecedented in history. Nothwithstanding the uneven access, it is still an absolutely remarkable achievement.

AoD
The impressive thing is that the mRNA vaccines were whipped up shortly (within weeks) after the virus genetic sequence was shared last year, and all the subsequent time was just testing and scaling production.

The impressive thing is that the mRNA vaccines were whipped up shortly (within weeks) after the virus genetic sequence was shared last year, and all the subsequent time was just testing and scaling production.
mRNA vaccines are probably the biggest scientific breakthrough in who knows how long. the speed they can be made is amazing, the potential for uses is staggering.

mRNA vaccines are probably the biggest scientific breakthrough in who knows how long. the speed they can be made is amazing, the potential for uses is staggering.
Its developers in Europe were working on using mRNA to fight cancer when they switched to Covid19. Likely too late for my Gen-X self but my kids may live well past 100.

Long Read, and I haven't finished it yet.

But the LTC Commission has reported; and it has a wee bit to say.

There's a lot to unpack here, and I won't be thorough tonight..........

But here's one highlight/lowlight to catch my attention:

"However, the Commission also heard that some Medical Directors did not have training in geriatric medicine, palliative care, treating dementia, or IPAC. They did not have the requisite leadership training or training in crisis management."

This, however, is damning:

1619837460562.png

I will likely offer more thoughts tomorrow or Sunday, but would encourage anyone with the interest and time to read the report for themselves!

Head's up; all-in.........its 321 pages

Plus, HIV was predominantly killing gay men, who many politicians at the time either hated (Thatcher) or at best, did not care about (Reagan). Homophobia is a huge part of why we didn't treat HIV the way we treated Covid. And then when the disease moved primarily to Africa, racism became the reason we continued to ignore it. The way the world mobilized around Covid is impressive, but it makes the way they handled HIV over the last 30ish years even more repulsive. Hell, they wouldn't even call it a pandemic despite it fitting every definition of the term.

The only good thing to come out of this pandemic is that maybe we can use the same mRNA tech to create an HIV vaccine.
We’re making progress since those HIV days. Covid19 kills mainly POC and old people, not exactly society’s priority demographics and we‘re throwing everything we can at it.

Of course HIV was easily avoidable, espeically in the West. Once blood transfusions were sorted, as long as you eschew unprotected sex or intravenous drugs you’re pretty much guaranteed to be safe.

Tragic story and a reminder not to bring anyone into your home who’s not confirmed negative

“Sarah developed mild symptoms shortly after her 20 y/o older sister — who later tested positive for COVID-19 — visited from Lethbridge, one of Alberta's current hot spots for the virus.”

As a Dad myself, if my adult daughter wanted to visit my otherwise social-distancing home I’d tell them to first get a Covid test a week before they came, and another test a day before if in a hotspot or if they worked or lived in close proximity to others. Now this woman lives with the fact that she seemingly brought a fatal contagion into her family’s home.

Tragic story and a reminder not to bring anyone into your home who’s not confirmed negative

“Sarah developed mild symptoms shortly after her 20 y/o older sister — who later tested positive for COVID-19 — visited from Lethbridge, one of Alberta's current hot spots for the virus.”

As a Dad myself, if my adult daughter wanted to visit my otherwise social-distancing home I’d tell them to first get a Covid test a week before they came, and another test a day before if in a hotspot or if they worked or lived in close proximity to others. Now this woman lives with the fact that she seemingly brought a fatal contagion into her family’s home.
Two tests came back negative? And a death under age 50 in an otherwise active, healthy person? The odds of that being Covid-19 are pretty low. I'm not trying to discount the story, just adding a dose of perspective.

As someone who's maternal family carries a dominant blood clotting gene mutation (I'm one of the few without), this also sounds like the stories I've heard of the clots that have taken distant cousins, a great uncle, etc. I have distantly related family units in Manitoba who've lost the majority to clots.

My mother's first lung clot hit her at age 16, but was assumed to be some kind of fluke—her blood clotting disorder wasn't diagnosed until her 50's, years after two major clotting episodes had put her in the hospital. My brother's refused to get tested for the gene (idiot, as he's also a heavy smoker), but my nephew had a blood clot while in the hospital for a scoliosis surgery about a year and a half ago. Thankfully, being in hospital meant a quick identification and treatment, and all turned out okay. He too was 17 at the time.

When a disease is affecting so many, so fast, it's easy to jump to conclusions. I hope the family get their answers. The longer they're sure it's covid without proof, the more resentment and anger in the parents will build up, and the more guilt and depression in the sister.

This story really comes across as a blustering and bellicose man crying over the government not giving him what he sees as his entitlement. There's a lot of untested assertions, including the classic "our vaccine is better than any of the others," and "we've never asked for a handout," but at the end of the day, he's throwing a childish temper tantrum over not getting his handout, and I suspect that's really because he doesn't have anything worth a handout. His case rests on "if onlys" about "what could have happened" that can't be proved or disproved.
I see that he points out Moderna was small and unknown before COVID too, but that's a misdirection. Moderna has been listed on the stock exchange since 2018, and has therefore published required quarterly disclosures of executive ownership and transactions, financial status, and management analysis of its current projects. His company is apparently owned by only him, or at least almost all by him. He says he can't attract private investment which is kind of a joke in an era where captial for private investment from institutions is at record highs to a point that some is thrown away on long shot investments. He doesn't want private capital because he doesn't want to give up control of all of the future profits.

This is one we should let go.

Last edited:
Consider yourself fortunate and privileged to be able to work from home. My daughter (fully vaccinated) tested positive today. My next-door neighbour's entire family had it a few weeks ago, including one who passed. They were all just going to work / school and following restrictions.

Back