News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Body aches, fever, chills, headache and tiredness. Not so bad as actual COVID, but just seemed to go on and on. Ever day around 3 pm, my fever would start to rise and I'd be under 4 blankets.

Thanks! Glad to hear you're feeling better - and partially protected! I am getting my shot in less than 2 weeks (and of course I have no idea what I am getting - not that choosy).

AoD

This graphic is really telling in regards to how we got this third wave:

View attachment 317238
This was largely avoidable. Had we just done in Feb what we're doing now for 6 weeks, we probably could have eased restrictions around now, with vaccinations taking off. Instead, we have been in lockdown since March and will go until June.

Leave it to you to goad me into looking............ 😉

I found the actual court filing, its on the site of Constitutional Rights Centre.....

Their claim as to the false Covid Cases is as follows (in part):

View attachment 317234

View attachment 317235

This informs their issue w/masks etc.

View attachment 317236

This appears to be their claim to standing: (last sentence)

View attachment 317237

Their key ask, as I see it:

View attachment 317239

Note that I am not a lawyer and that my take is that of lay person reading the documents.

I have needless to say omitted a great deal as the application is 24 pages long.

Well, now you've gone and made me look. Actually, I thought a couple of the pages were out of order/repeated/missing but I didn't bother trying to sort it out. There are actual about 9 pages of asks. I won't bother parsing it because it would be just my lay opinion anyway, but it strikes me that many of the grounds for their action seem pretty thin and some strike me as specious (I haven't heard anything about compulsory vaccinations for police officers). It's a bit of a 'shotgun' approach. Just about everything it argues hinges on Charter Section 1 ('reasonable limitations').

The application seems written as much for public consumption as it is for legal filing; use of bold text, use of the term "solitary confinement", etc. Vexing the bench is never a good idea but Galati has never met a windmill he didn't like.

Other than the fact that they are all police members, it strikes me as a fairly disparate group. A social media chat group comes to mind. Some of them are identified as "Doe" - now there's courage of conviction.

This was largely avoidable. Had we just done in Feb what we're doing now for 6 weeks, we probably could have eased restrictions around now, with vaccinations taking off. Instead, we have been in lockdown since March and will go until June.

And it wasn't like the government blundered into it blindly, without any guidance - they were warned this will be the exact result of their gamble - and yet they went ahead and did it anyways. There is culpability in choosing that course of action.

AoD

And it wasn't like the government blundered into it blindly, without any guidance - they were warned this will be the exact result of their gamble - and yet they went ahead and did it anyways. There is culpability in choosing that course of action.

AoD
One would like to think they learned from this but, based on their record and their personalities and friends, I expect them to lift the lockdown (rather than tightening it). We shall see.

I wonder how long it will be in downtown Toronto before some significant 'vaccinated but still locked-down fatigue' sets in, regardless of any science-based reasons for restrictions. I suspect that with many 30+ year-olds now getting their first shot in significant quantities, and 20+ year-olds accessing them already in priority areas, there will be more pressure to "let us do something" starting in about two weekends (Victoria Day), and then ramping up very quickly after that, especially after the population as a whole vaccinated will approach 50% by then. The only thing holding back people right now I think is the weather being unusually cool. The Trinity-Bellwoods debacle was May 23rd last year.

It will be one major challenge to balance out needs and demands of a population half vaccinated and half not.

Last edited:
  1. - I'm starting to look like Grizzly Adams.
  2. - I can't get motorcycle parts (back-order in NA)
  3. - This morning, our fridge pooped out. I
  4. - The missus is having her 2nd Covid birthday and well and truly bummed.
1. Give the wife the clippers to give her something to laugh about re. #4
2. Snow City Cycle. I ordered some parts and they arrived a little later, but within reason.
3. Call Jason at the Appliance Doctor, he's saved my bacon many a time. https://www.appliance-doctor.ca/
4. I just had my 50th b'day, second Covid b'day. Sucked, so I bought myself a boat https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos8815rtr-df65-r-c-sailboat-kit-ready-to-run/ to build and joined the Toronto club https://metromarine.org/ for insight and chatter until the pond's open.

I wonder how long it will be in downtown Toronto before some significant 'vaccinated but still locked-down fatigue' sets in, regardless of any science-based reasons for restrictions. I suspect that with many 30+ year-olds now getting their first shot in significant quantities, and 20+ year-olds accessing them too in priority areas, there will be more pressure to "let us do something" starting in about two weekends (Victoria Day), and then ramping up very quickly after that, especially after the population as a whole vaccinated will approach 50% by then. The only thing holding back people right now I think is the weather being unusually cool. The Trinity-Bellwoods debacle was May 23rd last year.

I agree albeit cautiously. Mass gatherings like concerts and the CNE should not be permitted until there is a large percentage of people with a second shot however things like museums, movie theatres etc should be allowed to open.

Major tourist locations like Niagara Falls should be closed during the summer due to the high traffic volumes they would see prior to Covid-19 but smaller towns like Thunder Bay, Haliburton and London should be allowed to reopen fully.

The GTA is a special case with the consistently high case numbers and while capacity numbers should increase, indoor dining and small tourist attractions should be allowed to reopen. They should still prohibit things like conferences, the CNE, Concerts and Sporting Events until our numbers drop back into the double digits for at least two weeks.

Just my two cents.

1. Give the wife the clippers to give her something to laugh about re. #4
2. Snow City Cycle. I ordered some parts and they arrived a little later, but within reason.
3. Call Jason at the Appliance Doctor, he's saved my bacon many a time. https://www.appliance-doctor.ca/
4. I just had my 50th b'day, second Covid b'day. Sucked, so I bought myself a boat https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos8815rtr-df65-r-c-sailboat-kit-ready-to-run/ to build and joined the Toronto club https://metromarine.org/ for insight and chatter until the pond's open.

1. I'm not that brave - I've seen what she does to the dogs (I'm no better).
2. Even the dealers can't get the particular parts.
3. I doubt he would come this far (north Simcoe). Besides, it's 27years old and has had 'issues' over the past several years. It's time has come, just wish it wasn't now.
4. Happy new boat. A buddy in Scarborough was a small boat GTA sailor for several years and really enjoyed it.

1. I'm not that brave - I've seen what she does to the dogs (I'm no better).
2. Even the dealers can't get the particular parts.
3. I doubt he would come this far (north Simcoe). Besides, it's 27years old and has had 'issues' over the past several years. It's time has come, just wish it wasn't now.
4. Happy new boat. A buddy in Scarborough was a small boat GTA sailor for several years and really enjoyed it.

Last spring, in those long-forgotten early days of the pandemic, my son and I gave each other purposely bad haircuts. We had a really fun time with that. It's only hair, and it (usually :) ) grows back. We kept our "bad" haircuts for a while before tidying up again.

I usually cut my own hair anyway, keeping it short. So the pandemic hasn't actually had an impact on that. Except now I've decided to grow it out for the hell of it. Will probably end up chopping it all off again someday.

Back