8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

531 new cases today

2.0% positivity

Still no new ICU data!

My daughters’ universities are running a contest of free tuition for a year, applicable to any students who prove their double vaxed by Sept 7th. The kids haven’t been dumbed down as you suggest, but instead are now more aware, plus a little excited about the prospects of free school.

I know some live with a tendency to call out the negative consequences of good intent, but I’m good with this contest. A bit of end of summer fun.

Dumbing down is only one of the two (closely related) negative by-products of incentivization IMHO. It sends a poor message for the next bad thing - just wait till government offers you do something instead of doing the right thing.

Booster shots? Let's wait for them to open up a new lottery/give out gift cards, etc. before we go get booster shots. It's just a bad precedent as I've said before.

Dumbing down is only one of the two (closely related) negative by-products of incentivization IMHO. It sends a poor message for the next bad thing - just wait till government offers you do something instead of doing the right thing.

Booster shots? Let's wait for them to open up a new lottery/give out gift cards, etc. before we go get booster shots. It's just a bad precedent as I've said before.
Or we make incentives retroactive?

Interesting news from Europe. Austria and Croatia have become the first countries to set "expiration dates" for vaccination status. They picked 270 days, or just under 9 months after the second shot. Beyond that date they don't consider you to be vaccinated.
Expect this to be something adopted around the world with varying durations.

Interesting news from Europe. Austria and Croatia have become the first countries to set "expiration dates" for vaccination status. They picked 270 days, or just under 9 months after the second shot. Beyond that date they don't consider you to be vaccinated.
Expect this to be something adopted around the world with varying durations.

I am sincerely hoping there is one global policy in the future to avoid this from becoming from big disaster. If there are different rules for every country it will be near impossible for people to travel.

You cannot have on country saying one thing while the country you came from does another. This is the mRna vaccine mixing debate all over again

This isn’t new. Wherever you travel, you need to check entry requirements. This just adds another layer.

Not saying it is but if one country has different rules than the other... it causes problems. A coordinated approach is needed not 196 different ones.

Not saying it is but if one country has different rules than the other... it causes problems. A coordinated approach is needed not 196 different ones.
Ya it can be a problem if you are planning a multi-country trip. Especially if some of these countries want you to have vaccinated status for your whole stay; so you need to be within the day limit on your departure, not your arrival, and have all the documentation that proves you are leaving within that time ready at customs.

Ya it can be a problem if you are planning a multi-country trip. Especially if some of these countries want you to have vaccinated status for your whole stay; so you need to be within the day limit on your departure, not your arrival, and have all the documentation that proves you are leaving within that time ready at customs.

I fully expect that once the pandemic is over, there will be a long hard look at unification of requirements.

Right now countries are managing things in a very reactionary manner in order to do what is best for their citizens. Once things calm down, Covid is in the past and people can do a post-mortem people will likely have a better sense of what the future holds.

I definitely think that this will all play out like air travel did after 9/11 with wholesale changes being made. Enhanced passports will be the new plastic forks and knives so to speak.

This isn’t new. Wherever you travel, you need to check entry requirements. This just adds another layer.
Yup. Same as different rules for passport expiry, visa requirements, vaccination requirements, etc. Commonality of all would be great but I don't know how realistic.

All three provinces are seeing some big jumps today. All three ended the mask mandates early last month allowing Delta to spread freely.

COVID-19 hospitalizations rise as Alberta confirms 817 new cases Thursday​

https://globalnews.ca/news/8126670/covid-19-alberta-august-19-2021/

According to an interesting article in the New York Times, plastic/plexiglas shields and barriers are useless. This should be painfully obvious to everyone who remembers smoking sections in restaurants. Which is why being anywhere inside without a mask is ill-advised.
When I was with a relative in the Emergency Dept, I saw 2 police officers and 2 staff trying to deal with a beligerent drunk on a gurney, every time he spit at them they had to change their shields and he took the opportunity to try to get at them again. The spit shields give a sense of protection which can't be understated.

Back