News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You can find these tests being sold on kijiji and marketplace for up to $100! I saw one person say it’s a good way to make a few dollars if you are willing to stand in a line.

Oh sickening. People treating these test kits like they are limited edition Nike sneakers or the latest Sony Playstation.

Every high-risk person or people 60 and over should have gotten them first.

They couldn't even deal with people who refuse to wear masks in public spaces. Ontario government "enforcement" is an oxymoron.

AoD
Not to mention enforcing capacity limits in stores (assuming they can be useful with a virus that is so contagious). My grocery store used to do it in the early stages of the pandemic, but not anymore.

Except that we don't know for sure that Omicron originated in Africa. It was first identified there, but did it actually start there? https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/12/03/omicron-origins
Well, we can reasonably assume it didn’t start here. So, again like original Covid19 and Delta it’s travellers bringing it in. We should have outlawed all international travel, no exceptions including returning Canadian citizens and PRs (until they have PCR negative and then two week’s quarantine at CFB Trenton) from the get go. I‘m in international business with family overseas, but I’ve gone no where since March 2020.

Well, we can reasonably assume it didn’t start here. So, again like original Covid19 and Delta it’s travellers bringing it in. We should have outlawed all international travel, no exceptions including returning Canadian citizens and PRs (until they have PCR negative and then two week’s quarantine at CFB Trenton) from the get go. I‘m in international business with family overseas, but I’ve gone no where since March 2020.

I highly doubt we can be nearly as effective as some of the East Asian countries - even if politics allowed it. Plus we have a rather unavoidably porous border with the US of A. If we couldn't do it in Spring 2020 - we definitely couldn't do it now when COVID is much more of a known quantity.

AoD

I highly doubt we can be nearly as effective as some of the East Asian countries - even if politics allowed it. Plus we have a rather unavoidably porous border with the US of A. If we couldn't do it in Spring 2020 - we definitely couldn't do it now when COVID is much more of a known quantity.

AoD
And many, if not most, of our early cases were traced to the US.

The ones that made the news early on were from other countries, but that's because we were specifically looking for them.

Does all international travel include commerce? Every last import we have would have to come to a halt. No trucks crossing the border. No ships in the ports. Because they aren't automated. Shipments still need to be signed for in person, and those are points of contact. And then there are those in humanitarian aid and international healthcare who need to travel. And diplomats, politicians... Oh, and any person tasked with stopping others at the lesser border crossings, etc.

International travellers can spread it, sure. But there are still testing and quarantine restrictions when crossing the border that have been in place for the entirety of this pandemic. All it takes is one case to cascade into thousands, and it's damn near impossible to stop a single case, regardless of how draconian movement and travel restrictions are. North Korea would be the safest place on the planet as far as Covid-19 goes, were that the case.

Closing borders is security theatre. The only time it's ever going to be useful is when a virus isn't here to begin with; and Omicron was in at least 30 countries long before it was identified.

Addressing the unvaccinated/idiot-resistance and *properly* enforcing the rules we've already set in place would do far more than pretending stopping someone at the border is the holy grail of protecting us.

Back