News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Addressing the unvaccinated/idiot-resistance and *properly* enforcing the rules we've already set in place would do far more than pretending stopping someone at the border is the holy grail of protecting us.
Closing borders seems popular because it doesn't effect a lot of people personally. Well, until it does, then some of the loudest voices calling for border controls cry for the border to reopen.

Does all international travel include commerce? Every last import we have would have to come to a halt. No trucks crossing the border. No ships in the ports. Because they aren't automated. Shipments still need to be signed for in person, and those are points of contact. And then there are those in humanitarian aid and international healthcare who need to travel. And diplomats, politicians... Oh, and any person tasked with stopping others at the lesser border crossings, etc.

International travellers can spread it, sure. But there are still testing and quarantine restrictions when crossing the border that have been in place for the entirety of this pandemic. All it takes is one case to cascade into thousands, and it's damn near impossible to stop a single case, regardless of how draconian movement and travel restrictions are. North Korea would be the safest place on the planet as far as Covid-19 goes, were that the case.

Closing borders is security theatre. The only time it's ever going to be useful is when a virus isn't here to begin with; and Omicron was in at least 30 countries long before it was identified.

Addressing the unvaccinated/idiot-resistance and *properly* enforcing the rules we've already set in place would do far more than pretending stopping someone at the border is the holy grail of protecting us.

Closing borders to *everyone* coupled with a 21 day quarantine probably works - but it's a non-starter pretty much anywhere. By the time one gets around to closing borders as a reaction, it's already too late for fast movers like Omicron.

AoD

Closing borders doesn't work. It didn't work against the original COVID-19, it didn't work with Delta and it didn't work Omicron.

And it's looking like the world is on the path to more Covid mutations in 2022- 2023. I don't know what more we can do... 🤷‍♂️

Closing borders doesn't work. It didn't work against the original COVID-19, it didn't work with Delta and it didn't work Omicron.

And it's looking like the world is on the path to more Covid mutations in 2023. I don't know what more we can do... 🤷‍♂️

Serious, continuous, preventative closure works relatively well - closure as practised here doesn't - but these measures will eventually fail. Anyways, it might be too early to say for certain, but the mutations seems to be trending towards higher infectivity and perhaps lower severity, which might not be such a bad endpoint in the long run once we get past this initial wave.

AoD

Newfoundland moving into Alert 3

The move to Alert Level 3 means public health restrictions are tightening up.

The restrictions close bars, cinemas, bingo halls and performance spaces across the province a day before Tibb's Eve, which tends to draw large crowds to drinking establishments across Newfoundland and Labrador.

They also reduce restaurant capacity and reinforce the "steady 20" rule, which limits household contacts to a maximum of 20 people outside the household.

I see zero chance of the Olympics being postponed. There's too much money involved at too many levels. I can see the Chinese government controlling spectator attendance, which they are eminently capable of doing.
The Olympics should be boycotted. Supporting a genocidal autocratic dictatorship makes no sense today anymore than it did in 1936 or 2008. And, considering China’s ill-management, subterfuge and procrastination led to a global pandemic that killed millions…. maybe it’s time to send a message.

The Olympics should be boycotted. Supporting a genocidal autocratic dictatorship makes no sense today anymore than it did in 1936 or 2008. And, considering China’s ill-management, subterfuge and procrastination led to a global pandemic that killed millions…. maybe it’s time to send a message.
I actually favour the concept of a permanent site for each game. It would save the billions spent on the quadrennial 'one upmanship national ego trip. Of course, nothing is guaranteed; any nation selected could become an unacceptable host for any number of reasons. Maybe Antarctica for the Winter Games. 😁

Jan 3rd for me, Feb 18th for the under 50 wife. I'll suggest she try the local pharmacy, but do they have Moderna?
As I mentioned last week in the Woodbine Centre thread, I got an appointment there for today. Someone replied that I shouldn't have even bothered and just shown up as a 'walk-in' like he did. I don't know when he went, but that was certainly not the situation there tonight. I got there 80 minutes before I was scheduled, and finally got the shot 17 minutes later than scheduled ( 1 hour 37 min after I got there), and it's appointments only, no walk-ins allowed. You line-up at the second floor mall entrance to The Bay, but it stretched well back past the middle part of the mall, and continued inside The Bay through two more long back and forth sections before you get to the check-in. The line-up seemed to not be moving at all for the first 15 minutes, but did seem to move better as I got closer to the front. The woman giving me the shot had a mask and face shield, so I don't know how she expected me to hear anything she said with another clear barrier between us when I first sat down in front of her. They ask if you want Pfizer or Moderna. I've now collected the set of all three after the first dose was AstraZeneca. The email to get the new QR code was already waiting for me when I sat down for the (now reduced to) 5 minute wait before you leave. I got an "unable to add to wallet" response at first when I attempted that at home, but it goes into the Health App and there you can click-on "add to wallet", which works.
For all the comments about how abandoned Woodbine Mall has been, this might have been as full as it's been in many years.

Last edited:
I actually favour the concept of a permanent site for each game. It would save the billions spent on the quadrennial 'one upmanship national ego trip. Of course, nothing is guaranteed; any nation selected could become an unacceptable host for any number of reasons. Maybe Antarctica for the Winter Games. 😁

Naturally Olympia in Greece.

AoD

does anyone know what kind of pizza ? 😅🤣😂
FB_IMG_1640217911374.jpg

Last edited:

Back