News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

At this point I really wonder what it would take to spur any level of government into action instead of the empty words we've been hearing. Right now, nobody looks good at all in this - not Trudeau, not Ford, not the Ottawa police. A grand total of zero leadership has been displayed.

Somehow this farce seems exceedingly Canadian.

The problem is nobody wants to "own" this issue and be the first - especially when resolving the issue will likely require - and leading to violence.

There is no need to invoke the Emergencies Act.

A host of measures are available under every day laws.

Ticketing, Towing, Injunctions and enforcement thereof.

Tow trucks companies have already said that they won't be involved.

AoD

There is no need to invoke the Emergencies Act.

A host of measures are available under every day laws.

Ticketing, Towing, Injunctions and enforcement thereof.

True but none of the usual methods are working. Send in the military and watch how fast the convoy disbands.

They know the police won't do anything but putting troops in the street changes things. It goes from pacifism to meaning business in an instant.

I don't quite think the convoy is expecting Trudeau to call in the military and as a result I doubt they are capable of dealing with it.

A major escalation by the feds will kill this protest in an instant. I doubt they are willing to go up against the Canadian Armed Forces.

True but none of the usual methods are working. Send in the military and watch how fast the convoy disbands.

They know the police won't do anything but putting troops in the street changes things. It goes from pacifism to meaning business in an instant.

I don't quite think the convoy is expecting Trudeau to call in the military and as a result I doubt they are capable to dealing with it.

A major escalation by the feds will kill this protest in an instant. I doubt they are willing to go up against the Canadian Armed Forces.

It would, though invoking the Emergencies Act will require it being dragged through Parliament and tested by the courts. It might not be a fast process (and dicey in a minority). Also, deploying the CAF also comes with image issues (though at this point it's bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation) - just think how our adversaries will be able to take advantage and say "see, these so called "western democracies" have to deploy the army against their people" the next time we criticize their behaviour.

AoD

From the Globe:

I think it is time to mobilize the forces and deal with the border first - and make it clear and in no uncertain terms that overwhelming force will be used if necessary, and that any injury to person or property is solely the responsibility of the party involved in illegal blockades.

AoD

From the Globe:

I think it is time to mobilize the forces and deal with the border first - and make it clear and in no uncertain terms that overwhelming force will be used if necessary, and that any injury to person or property is solely the responsibility of the party involved in illegal blockades.

AoD

You know it is bad when both the left and the right (to a certain extent) come together to condemn an incident.

This is a blatant National Security issue. The supply chain has been cut off, the nations capital is occupied and there is talk of occupying the financial heart of this country.

This is not a protest, this is an occupation by people who have put alot of thought and organization into things. These are not people who are shouting with signs in their hand, these are people who know what they are doing and are hellbent on causing harm.

I am not one for violence but I say bring in the Military and fire warning shots at their trucks. Watch how quickly they stop what they are doing.

This is not a protest,

Yes, it is; but its also something more.

this is an occupation by people who have put alot of thought and organization into things. These are not people who are shouting with signs in their hand, these are people who know what they are doing and are hellbent on causing harm.

Definitely true in respect of some of the organizing forces.

I am not one for violence but I say bring in the Military and fire warning shots at their trucks. Watch how quickly they stop what they are doing.

Again, simply not necessary. This can be shut down w/o use of the military, its entirely a political choice.

Notwithstanding that politicians are not supposed to give 'operational' orders to police on such things, its very clear that in such matters political leadership will be consulted. If the will to clear the blockades etc is there, it can be done.

Reactions: DSC
Alright, time to call in the military, clear them out of the damn bridge and have them arrested, throw them in jail and ask them how do you like your freedom now? Thousands of people are being financially impacted. Business are going to lose millions of dollars.

The US called in national guard when the BLM losers rioted and burned down buildings, it's time we do the same.

Aren’t these auto workers (and others) the very people they are supposed to be helping? Great tactic to get people on your side … put them out of work!

It was never about those people in the first place - everyone knows that logistic challenges notwithstanding, it never ever came to a grinding halt. These actions undertaken right now (blocking borders, etc) are always about creating chaos.

AoD

It was never about those people in the first place - everyone knows that logistic challenges notwithstanding, it never ever came to a grinding halt. These actions undertaken right now (blocking borders, etc) are always about creating chaos.

AoD
True, but saying it was about the average person garnered them a lot of support …. Because people didn’t “do their own research” to see who was behind all of this and what they really wanted, including their manifesto. It’s not like you had to dig deep or that it was a secret. It’s sad how many people thought they would get their gas money refunded or that this was simply about needing a vaccine to cross the border. I hope they enjoyed their moment standing on an overpass, waving a flag.

It would, though invoking the Emergencies Act will require it being dragged through Parliament and tested by the courts. It might not be a fast process (and dicey in a minority). Also, deploying the CAF also comes with image issues (though at this point it's bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation) - just think how our adversaries will be able to take advantage and say "see, these so called "western democracies" have to deploy the army against their people" the next time we criticize their behaviour.

AoD
Cabinet can make the declaration. You are correct that there are significant implications for using the military against the citizenry, but they would still be in 'aid of the civil power' as covered under that National Defence Act.

Scrolled through the last few pages. Don't think anyone posted any recognition for this young hero.

Outsmarted and outwitted several levels of government, bureaucracy, and police force in defense of her fellow citizens. Deserves all the plaudits.

Also, this is largely a Toronto forum, so I thought this post was insightful about the reality of the protest for the residents of Centretown:

This: "The trench warfare against human reason," should be written down for all eternity whenever discussing this. And plastered on every politician, pundit and internet apologist's forehead who thinks there's both sides to this, regardless of their stripes, IMO.

...and hear, hear!

Back