News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Anyways what I mean is I don't really agree with Trump's actions but it really is a huge shock to everyone about how serious this is.

It's really hitting home to.my friends I see.

It's the US and their braindead leadership that took this whole thing so lightly and now have to go extra hard because they fucked up big time. This is why you don't vote in a frigging idiot to lead the most powerful country in the world. At least we know he'll be a one and done. No way he's getting a 2nd term and that might actually save the world.

On the Trump action.........

Obviously an excessive, unwarranted and not particularly useful action.

But if it had any merit whatever, at the margins, its completely undermined by exempting the UK from the travel ban, as it is home to a large cluster of Covid cases.

On the whole AOD-Jasmine thing.............can I take AOD's side 3/4 of the time, but give 1/4 to Jasmine? LOL

AOD is entirely correct in describing what appropriate and sensible reactions should be.............

But Jasmine is not entirely wrong that some folks who aren't as informed/educated may be more prone to panic.

While I don't think the sky will fall; and I neither believe nor wish our government to be as intemperate as the one to the south; I do believe there will be pressure to appear more pro-active.

If only from the south, where people may wonder if those from Europe or Asia are using Canada as a conduit to travel to the U.S.

It shouldn't be an issue, it isn't yet an issue, but it may yet become an issue.

See tonight's events.

It's the US and their braindead leadership that took this whole thing so lightly and now have to go extra hard because they fucked up big time. This is why you don't vote in a frigging idiot to lead the most powerful country in the world. At least we know he'll be a one and done. No way he's getting a 2nd term and that might actually save the world.

100%, I figured Trump will go from zero to 100 as that is Trump's style...

I would say you would be right if he faced off against Barrack Obama type in November but he is up against Joe Biden so I think you should be more skeptical...

Noting the impact on markets........I've nominally lost a wee bit of money.............

On the upside.......I was cash-heavy.........

On the downside, tomorrow will be another down day.

On the upside.....unless global bankruptcy is going to ensue.........late tomorrow/early Friday should be a buying day.

Noting the impact on markets........I've nominally lost a wee bit of money.............

On the upside.......I was cash-heavy.........

On the downside, tomorrow will be another down day.

On the upside.....unless global bankruptcy is going to ensue.........late tomorrow/early Friday should be a buying day.

I am confused how bonds are doing... some days my bond position does well another it goes down a bit...

I am confused how bonds are doing... some days my bond position does well another it goes down a bit...

Two contradictory inputs.

Low interest rates, are producing negative yields on many bonds and virtually no yields as high as inflation. That makes it very difficult to earn any return on bonds.

A further decline in rates, means its virtually impossible for any existing bonds to rise in value given conventional metrics.

There are ways to shift things within a bond fund, looking at forex plays (moves between currencies) and other moves; but they aren't particularly helpful in this environment, on a large scale.

That said, good quality bonds, Canada, U.S. etc. are often considered a flight to safety when markets are troubled; and low-interest rates make high levels of debt and deficit more manageable in the near-term.

Very difficult to read where there is going, but I don't expect huge upswing here, many people are either going to cash or gold in large volumes.

*** no advice, just observation***

So, I decided that the TTC is off limits until further notice. The problem is that is how I get to work and can't afford Uber twice a day. I did manage to get a ride to work tomorrow from my dad though and will see how work deals with this issue.

I don't understand Trump's move to exempt the UK from his travel ban. Not only does UK have a serious amount of cases themselves, but does Trump not know that mainland Europeans can take public transport to the UK and fly to America without having their passport stamped? Probably not tbh.

It also completely blindsided the various European ambassadors. None of them knew this was coming, it didn't proceed through normal diplomatic channels.

In any case it is probably (minus the bewildering UK exemption) the right move at this point. I agree with Jasmine's comment, this is the "0 to 100" moment or the "oh snap this is serious" moment here in North America. That simultaneous travel ban and NBA suspension announcement is going to make this feel real very quick to many people. NHL is likely to make their announcement tomorrow morning.

I don't understand Trump's move to exempt the UK from his travel ban. Not only does UK have a serious amount of cases themselves, but does Trump not know that mainland Europeans can take public transport to the UK and fly to America without having their passport stamped? Probably not tbh.

It also completely blindsided the various European ambassadors. None of them knew this was coming, it didn't proceed through normal diplomatic channels.

In any case it is probably (minus the bewildering UK exemption) the right move at this point. I agree with Jasmine's comment, this is the "0 to 100" moment or the "oh snap this is serious" moment here in North America. That simultaneous travel ban and NBA suspension announcement is going to make this feel real very quick to many people. NHL is likely to make their announcement tomorrow morning.

I think Trump's response is fairly consistent. He's always been a Euro-skeptic (beating on the EU, NATO, etc.) and warmer to, in relative Trump terms, the UK. He seems to like Boris and his move to extract the UK from the EU since Trump views just about any kind of alliance as a sign of weakness. Whether it impacts their upcoming election remains to be seen. I don't follow events all that closely but the Democratic field seems a bit of a yawn and Trump's core base is probably unmoved. Their sentiment seems to range from it was a deliberate or accident result of Chinese biological warfare, made up by the mainstream media or 'buy more guns and toilet paper - we don't need the stinking world, they need us'.

For those that are freaking out, if you get your information from the news that Google et al feeds you or from Facebook, etc., I'm not surprised. If you listen to the public health professionals you will be in a stronger position. This thing is evolving rapidly and the cancellation/avoiding of large gatherings is probably prudent. The coining of 'social isolation' I think is prudent as well, but there is a difference between social isolation and self-quarantine.

My question is we have seen world government especially on the federal level take some rather crazy borderline Draconian steps to crack down on this virus.

Now the issue is if the situation arises in Canada to take such steps who.has spricfic Power to do what?

Because based on the history of this country the federal and provincial governments dont have much experience in doing such policies... and frankly this is we're going to require coordinator response across the confederation.

Some rather mean or harsh policies will have to be enacted and be brutally honest we don't have a history of being that way...

Last edited:
I went to the Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday and purchased 14 packet

Some rather mean or harsh policies will have to be enacted and be brutally honest we don't have a history of being that way...
Maybe this is a good time to wake up? Time to wake up and change a few policies. Maybe this is the time when a new "leader" will emerge?

I went to the Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday and purchased 14 packet

Maybe this is a good time to wake up? Time to wake up and change a few policies. Maybe this is the time when a new "leader" will emerge?
Yes I am so happy we have Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau in charge of our country
..?

My question is we have seen world government especially on the federal level take some rather crazy borderline Draconian steps to crack down on this virus.

Now the issue is if the situation arises in Canada to take such steps who.has spricfic Power to do what?

Because based on the history of this country the federal and provincial governments dont have much experience in doing such policies... and frankly this is we're going to require coordinator response across the confederation.

Ok, there's a bit to disentangle here.

Lets separate out what may or should happen from what is possible.

The Federal government of Canada has control of Canada's airspace, international ports and border controls.

The Federal government of Canada also has powers during times of national emergency.

These are set out in the Emergencies Act, which replaced the War Measures Act famously used by Trudeau Senior during the FLQ crisis in Quebec. (for the younger set, this was about a group of pro-separation terrorists who planted bombs and kidnapped a Quebec cabinet minister). The armed forces were deployed and mass arrests carried out at that time.

From Wikipedia:

The Emergencies Act (French: Loi sur les mesures d’urgence) (the Act) is an Act of the Parliament of Canada to authorize the taking of special temporary measures to ensure safety and security during national emergencies and to amend other Acts in consequence thereof.
It received royal assent on July 21, 1988, replacing the War Measures Act.
The Emergencies Act differs from the War Measures Act in two important ways:

1. A declaration of an emergency by the Cabinet must be reviewed by Parliament
  2. Any temporary laws made under the Act are subject to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Thus any attempt by the government to suspend the civil rights of Canadians, even in an emergency, will be subject to the "reasonable and justified" test under section 1 of the Charter.

From the text of the Emergencies Act itself:

3 For the purposes of this Act, a national emergency is an urgent and critical situation of a temporary nature that
  • (a) seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it, or
  • (b) seriously threatens the ability of the Government of Canada to preserve the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of Canada
and that cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.

public welfare emergency means an emergency that is caused by a real or imminent
  • (a) fire, flood, drought, storm, earthquake or other natural phenomenon,
  • (b) disease in human beings, animals or plants, or
  • (c) accident or pollution

• 8 (1) While a declaration of a public welfare emergency is in effect, the Governor in Council may make such orders or regulations with respect to the following matters as the Governor in Council believes, on reasonable grounds, are necessary for dealing with the emergency:
    • (a) the regulation or prohibition of travel to, from or within any specified area, where necessary for the protection of the health or safety of individuals;
    • (b) the evacuation of persons and the removal of personal property from any specified area and the making of arrangements for the adequate care and protection of the persons and property;
    • (c) the requisition, use or disposition of property;
    • (d) the authorization of or direction to any person, or any person of a class of persons, to render essential services of a type that that person, or a person of that class, is competent to provide and the provision of reasonable compensation in respect of services so rendered;
    • (e) the regulation of the distribution and availability of essential goods, services and resources;
    • (f) the authorization and making of emergency payments;
    • (g) the establishment of emergency shelters and hospitals;
    • (h) the assessment of damage to any works or undertakings and the repair, replacement or restoration thereof;
    • (i) the assessment of damage to the environment and the elimination or alleviation of the damage; and
    • (j) the imposition
      • (i) on summary conviction, of a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or imprisonment not exceeding six months or both that fine and imprisonment, or
      • (ii) on indictment, of a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding five years or both that fine and imprisonment,
    • for contravention of any order or regulation made under this section.

Full text of the bill is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/e-4.5/page-1.html

Post-break due to length:

Apart from the emergencies powers above, and the ability to deploy the military, control borders and airspace, public health is a co-managed area of responsibility between the federal government and the provinces.

Every large level of government has Emergency powers and plans.

Toronto has just activated its Emergency Operations Centre.

There are in fact plans to deal with a pandemic already in place.

So take a breath..............government has dealt with SARS before and invoked emergency powers before, and life goes on.

As to whether such drastic actions are needed; the clear answer is, not yet.

But should that change, its very do-able.

Back