News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

JMFC, the province announces that everyone 18 and up in hotspots can get a vaccine, so I go on https://vaccineto.ca/ to book for my two >18 kids, wait in line for 20 mins and then click on each of the three locations, and then have to click on two weeks of dates for each of the three locations. So now I've clicked on over 40 possibilities, and each says 'no appointment available". This is just a ridiculous system!

In what IT person's head does the below make any sense from an end users' experience? You ask me to choose from the highlighted dates, but your database already knows that none of these dates have available appointments. But you make me click on each one in the hope that maybe there is one. And don't ask me to choose a location if your database already knows the location has no appointments!

View attachment 316921 View attachment 316919

Is there anyone here on database and website design that can explain to me why it would be so difficult for the system to instead ONLY show me the available locations and dates and let me choose from them. That's how the airlines book their tickets online, they don't show you all the possible flights and then have you click on each one to see if there are any seats available. No, they already know if there are seats available and tell you at the front end, not when you're already deep into the process.

It's possible they force you to click on each day to ensure you get the most up-to-date information; in the off-chance that someone may have canceled their appointment(s) when you click on that day. Obviously, it can be programmed to be more advanced and real-time, but more complexity just means more chances of breaking, more QA required, etc. I know it's a frustrating experience, but I don't envy the dev's that had to get this done.

There seems to be far more options in the suburbs. So if you are willing to travel you could get vaccinated a few weeks sooner than you'd be at MTCC.

Australia does travel and immigration so much better than Canada.

Not sure about Australia but Canadians have RIGHT to return home so it would be illegal to stop them. Everyone CAN be forced to quarantine when they arrive but you can't stop Canadians coming home.

I just booked my COVID-19 vaccine appointment (I live in a hotspot). I will have my appointment at the end of this month.

Can we actually force quarantine though?. I am reading / hearing so many stories of people paying the fine or just walking out of the airport.

We can - we chose not to enact and enforce policies that would deter such behaviour. Honour system is a joke - and this falls entirely on the federal government (my guess is they're worried about pissing off the snowbirds - particularly in QC).

AoD

I wish they would increase the fines, because they obviously aren't a deterrent at this point. I'd also be happier with stricter quarantine rules and enforcement.

Reactions: DSC
I wish they would increase the fines, because they obviously aren't a deterrent at this point. I'd also be happier with stricter quarantine rules and enforcement.

Said it before - throw a few violators in jail, make sure the experience is as sh*tty as possible and ensure the word gets out that if you violate the quarantine you will get the bars. Compliance will follow.

AoD

There are so many loopholes and exceptions at this point that the program would have next to no value if it were enforced.

Meanwhile, the Rogers and Bitove families are in Florida, partying it up with Trump at Mar-A-Lago sans masks and posting about it on social media.

Ensuring a forceful backlash against any attempt to enforce, which would appear to only be a way to harass those of lesser (albeit it rather middle/upper-middle income means)

I think a useful version of this policy would have been quite welcome at one point...........but its a lost cause.

I just booked my COVID-19 vaccine appointment (I live in a hotspot). I will have my appointment at the end of this month.
Success! Me too, booked both kids at the Metro Convention Centre, one for late May, the other early June, with both follow-ups in mid-Sept. If we keep this up we'll have over 3/4 of adult Ontarians with a first shot by first week of June.

Minister of Long-Term Care walks out of news conference on damning commission report

From link.

An evasive minister of long-term care walked out of a news conference where she was speaking to the damning report by the province’s Long Term Care COVID-19 Commission.

The commission found the province was not prepared for the pandemic because of years of neglecting the sector including chronic underfunding and staffing shortages.

A Canadian Forces member told the commission in one home residents were not only dying of COVID-19 but also neglect, saying 26 died of dehydration, needing only “water and wipe.”

When asked when she learned people were dying of neglect, Merrilee Fullerton said “we have to move forward.”

“I came to politics because of long-term care, the neglect of this sector, and I came to fix it,” said Fullerton. “Our the government is fixing it. And we will move forward, understanding the insights and recommendations from the commission and I’m very very grateful to the commission for this work.”

The report was critical the government’s “lack of urgency” early in the pandemic, saying as outbreaks first started in homes the government still had not formalized its response structure.

Fullerton was asked what she would have done differently.

“The government measures and processes, we were trying to move fast for government and COVID-19 was moving faster,” she responded.

She was then asked if her government would apologize.

“You know I think collectively as a society we need to do some soul-searching and understand why, you know, it took a pandemic to address the capacity issues in long-term care,” she answered. “It’s very very clear in the commission’s report and the auditor general’s report that these were long standing issues.”

Fullerton frequently laid the blame on previous governments and answered questions by touting the government’s investments since the first wave of the pandemic including “20,000 new and over 15,000 upgraded spaces in development.” The province aims to create more than 30,00 new spaces over the next decade. Fullerton says they are also investing $9.6 billion new dollars in response to the pandemic.

Back