News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You're right, but it would essentially set up a voluntary system of Health Card or other identification to access publicly-funded healthcare. If asked if I had a Health Card, I would get to say no just to be contrary (I can be like that); I could give them a library card. If the undocumented numbers are low enough to not skew the data, are they also low enough to not skew our herd immunity targets? At what point does the 'we should give it to anybody and everybody' morph into 'we must give to anybody and everybody'? Dunno. The bottom line for me is, if you should be here, you shouldn't be here, but I see points of the argument that if they are here, we should probably try to get them vaccinated.

I think in this instance it is less about whether the system tracks these individuals, and more about getting them vaccinated - encourage them protect to themselves, and by doing so us citizens as well. Definitely a pandemic issue and not a benefits/responsibilities of citizenship one. Also, keep in mind that unregistered vaccination (so no QR code) is actually a handicap for the rest of us (given access requirements) - we'd be a bit crazy to do what you've suggested just for the heck of it.

In any event, I think our herd immunity target wouldn't be systematically skewed downwards by bored citizens using their library cards to get vaccinated -it'd be by those who hold out against getting vaccinated anyways.

AoD

Last edited:
If you want to fix your boat from leaking, you don't patch only 87% of the hole.
That’s exactly what you do, and what mankind has done since he took to water. Some seepage is always going to happen, so you have a means to bail out any collected water. Every ship has a bilge pump.

That’s exactly what you do, and what mankind has done since he took to water. Some seepage is always going to happen, so you have a means to bail out any collected water. Every ship has a bilge pump.
And bilge pumps aren't designed to completely counteract a hole in the hull; at best they'll give you enough time to get to dry dock for repair.

Pedantry aside, you're ignoring the point. Our goal should be to vaccinate as many people as possible, and there will always be those you need to meet where they are, rather than demand they come to you.

And bilge pumps aren't designed to completely counteract a hole in the hull; at best they'll give you enough time to get to dry dock for repair.

Pedantry aside, you're ignoring the point. Our goal should be to vaccinate as many people as possible, and there will always be those you need to meet where they are, rather than demand they come to you.

Good news, that's exactly what is happening.

Sounds like that hospitalization wave is here - the question is how high it will go.

AoD

235 new hospitalizations or ~ 50% of previous day hospitalizations. Let's see how long the lag is from hospitalization to ICU.

235 new hospitalizations or ~ 50% of previous day hospitalizations. Let's see how long the lag is from hospitalization to ICU.

There is some discussion that hospitalizations from Omicron tend to be shorter - though it is unclear whether the rate of proceeding to ICU is the same. Too many unknowns.

AoD

Isolation rule changes for Ontario in line with the US:

Fully vaccinated people now required to isolate for only five days (down from 10) if their symptoms have improved for at least 24 hours and all public health and safety measures are followed.

what-if-i-5c3df2.jpg
From link.

Also major changes to COVID testing announced today.

Meanwhile, starting Friday, publicly funded PCR testing will be available only for those at-risk of COVID-19, and workers, residents in high-risk settings like hospitals, LTCs, retirement homes, and congregate living.

Rapid antigen tests are also being preserved and prioritized for high-risk settings, Moore said. Moore said the province is hitting the 100,000 testing capacity, and given the high positivity rates, he says the virus is widespread in the community.

"We cannot at present test everyone who wants one, I'm sorry we don't have that capacity, we never actually did, nor does any country," Moore said. "We must preserve these resources for those who need them the most," Moore said, saying the move is meant to ensure those at highest risk of severe outcomes have timely access to test results.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ec-30-2021-testing-guidelines-cases-1.6300425

Also major changes to COVID testing announced today.

Meanwhile, starting Friday, publicly funded PCR testing will be available only for those at-risk of COVID-19, and workers, residents in high-risk settings like hospitals, LTCs, retirement homes, and congregate living.

Rapid antigen tests are also being preserved and prioritized for high-risk settings, Moore said. Moore said the province is hitting the 100,000 testing capacity, and given the high positivity rates, he says the virus is widespread in the community.

"We cannot at present test everyone who wants one, I'm sorry we don't have that capacity, we never actually did, nor does any country," Moore said. "We must preserve these resources for those who need them the most," Moore said, saying the move is meant to ensure those at highest risk of severe outcomes have timely access to test results.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ec-30-2021-testing-guidelines-cases-1.6300425
That was expected. Too many new cases. And getting rapid antigen tests is a crapshoot - we got two boxes we share with a couple of friends and that came to $900. What about those who can't pay for them or get them for free?

And also: why are we still allowing restaurants, concert halls and theatres to open when this is obviously one of the most perilous times for the health care system? Many establishments have closed voluntarily but Ford shouldn't be MIA.

Back