News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They wanted to acknowledge Ontario's English heritage without giving it one-quarter of the flag.

But Ontario's UK-based heritage is more than just English; it has a significant association with Scotland. Reducing it to the St George's cross seems simplistic.

It sure looks similar to that of Thai Airways International's logo shapewise.
552px-Thai_Airways_Logo.svg.png

That's also a stylized flower, I believe.

But Ontario's UK-based heritage is more than just English; it has a significant association with Scotland. Reducing it to the St George's cross seems simplistic.

It's apparently based on Ontario's coat-of-arms, where the St. George's cross refers to the Loyalist aspect of Ontario's heritage. Important, yes - but kind of exclusionary as well, and definitely don't think it is something to bring forward in and on its' own in a new flag.

AoD

It's apparently based on Ontario's coat-of-arms, where the St. George's cross refers to the Loyalist aspect of Ontario's heritage. Important, yes - but kind of exclusionary as well, and definitely don't think it is something to bring forward in and on its' own in a new flag.

AoD

Right. I think leaving that sort of thing behind is partly the point of a new flag.

Here are a couple of others to consider.

View attachment 42074
This looks nice, and I really like that version of the trillium (much better than the three men in a hot tub version). The symbolism of the bars would be lost though; Ontario isn't bordered by two oceans after all. Our identity is much more tied to the Great Lakes, and to a lesser extent the waterways that connect them. They loom large in the consciousness of both southern and northern Ontario, are equally relevant now as they were 200 years ago, and we're the only province to have that connection. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate that idea into a flag. It could be the same sentiment as the Canadian flag's two bars, but in a way that's more relevant to Ontario.

AoD
The thing is, any attempt to represent the province in a flag is exclusionary to some extent. Even my idea above would exclude the people of, say, Timmins. And a flag incorporating the trillium excludes everywhere the trillium doesn't grow. I don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing our history as a British, or more specifically English, colony.

There - modified based on FNTS' design:

View attachment 42147

AoD
My only issue with this flag is that it looks very current from a graphic design perspective. There's a good chance it will look dated in 20 years.

This looks nice, and I really like that version of the trillium (much better than the three men in a hot tub version). The symbolism of the bars would be lost though; Ontario isn't bordered by two oceans after all. Our identity is much more tied to the Great Lakes, and to a lesser extent the waterways that connect them. They loom large in the consciousness of both southern and northern Ontario, are equally relevant now as they were 200 years ago, and we're the only province to have that connection. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate that idea into a flag. It could be the same sentiment as the Canadian flag's two bars, but in a way that's more relevant to Ontario.

Is this better?

Ont2B.png

My other idea was to copy the Order of Ontario insignia onto a 2x3 flag with a red background. The insignia is the Ontario shield, topped with a crown, inside a trillium, which seems to cover all bases. Unfortunately, (a) I wasn't able to find a decent version of the insignia, and (b) my graphic design software is MSPaint.

Can anyone recommend some free software that still works on Windows XP?

images.jpg

Attachments

• Ont2B.png
    Ont2B.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 898
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 827
Can anyone recommend some free software that still works on Windows XP?
There is Paint.NET and GIMP. Those are the two best free software, but you should find an old version of either, because Windows XP is being phased out.

Back