News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I just came across this clipping from my old files. As I recall, I didn't agree with the sentiments at the time, but as the years have past, I've grown increasingly to agree with some of what's being said here. In any case, this was a letter to The Star that they printed waaayyyy back on Sept. 19, 1987...

Ontario's flag isn't representative

The patriation of the Constitution in 1982 made Canada, at long last, legally and technically independent from Britain.

Unfortunately, Canada is still colonially and symbolically subordinate in carrying Britain’s symbols.

Ontario’s so-called provincial flag, for one, is nothing more than an 18th century British naval squadron-rank flag — the red ensign version with three sickly maple leaves dominated and crowned by England’s cross of St. George.

The total Canadian content of this flag is less than 10 per cent,, Isn’t it time for Ontario to finally have a flag representing its plural reality with total Canadian symbolism?

ROBERT HANULAK Etobicoke
A very interesting topic, IMO. I fully admit that I am challenged how in a country that is mature and self-confident in every respect, some still do not see our provincial flag as Canadian.

This can be contrasted, for example, by how other formerly imperial symbols are considered 'Canadian' and some 'colonial'. For example, a uniform that is 90% based on a British Army cavalry regiment (RCMP uniform) or the Imperial ensign of the French empire (Quebec fleurs de lis) have explicit imperial ties. Yet try campaigning against them....

My own theories are that:

i. We are chained to the 1960s national flag debate - it has now been decided that Red Ensign = colonial, consequently our discourse on the Union Jack can never move beyond that limit.
ii. Alternatively, a case of North American throw away culture. Like so much of our urban built heritage, our other heritage is equally disposable.

Sorry, not being deliberately argumentative, just probing where this leads! ;)

I wonder if the people of the State of Hawaii stay up at night wondering if their flag directly speaks to everyone, offends no one and is rooted in the past thus impairing their maturity as a people.

Union-Jack-islands-kingdom-stripes-ship-Hawaii-1843.jpg

I wonder if the people of the State of Hawaii stay up at night wondering if their flag directly speaks to everyone, offends no one and is rooted in the past thus impairing their maturity as a people.

Probably less than a provincial legislature that pointedly chose to adopt one as a reaction against the national government choosing one that was, in said provincial legislature's opinion - divorced from tradition. I guess we found out which flag really speak to whom 60 years afterwards.

AoD

Last edited:

General Knowledge explained why the Hawaiian flag has a Union Jack:

More than anything else, I would like to have simple and elegant designs for all provincial flags, including Ontario's. Most of the people can't even recount what all symbols are present in Ontario's flag. It's a mess.

Compare that with Canadian flag. 2 red stripes with a red maple in the centre - clean, elegant, easy to remember and express, and has a very distinct identity.

GettyImages-1215993197%20copy.jpg
From link.

Shouldn't Quebec change it's own flag to move away from the French (the country, not the language)?

260px-Fleur_de_lys_%28or%29.svg.png
From link.

The fleur-de-lis has been used in the heraldry of numerous European nations, but is particularly associated with France, notably during its monarchical period. The fleur-de-lis became "at one and the same time, religious, political, dynastic, artistic, emblematic, and symbolic," especially in French heraldry. The fleur-de-lis has been used by French royalty and throughout history to represent Catholic saints of France. In particular, the Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph are often depicted with a lily.

Last edited:
At this point, I think the fleur-de-lis is a very Quebec symbol, almost more than it is post-revolutionary French. So I don't see harm in them continuing to use it. Ontario continuing to use the UK flag is a different story. Nevermind that the flag is an ugly, muddled mess.

At this point, I think the fleur-de-lis is a very Quebec symbol, almost more than it is post-revolutionary French. So I don't see harm in them continuing to use it. Ontario continuing to use the UK flag is a different story. Nevermind that the flag is an ugly, muddled mess.
No its not, the fleurs de lis is a very distinct French symbol associated with France. Everyone knows that.
And the Ontario flag seems to have a quiet dignity to it. Just as any provincial flag (or any flag in the world for that matter) can be described as a muddled mess if you don't happen to like it.

Last edited:
No its not, the fleurs de lis is a very distinct French symbol associated with France. Everyone knows that.
And the Ontario flag seems to have a quiet dignity to it. Just as any provincial flag (or any flag in the world for that matter) can be described as a muddled mess if you don't happen to like it.

No it's not. It features prominently in French history but it has been used for centuries all over Europe. It's even in the UK coat of arms.

No it's not. It features prominently in French history but it has been used for centuries all over Europe. It's even in the UK coat of arms.

I am not so sure about that.

However, little known fact that the UK coat of arms has not one, but two mottos - in French. Zut alors!

Honi soit qui mal y pense and Dieu et mon droit . Both I take it both are derived from the Norman connection.

However, little known fact that the UK coat of arms has not one, but two mottos - in French. Zut alors!

Honi soit qui mal y pense and Dieu et mon droit . Both I take it both are derived from the Norman connection.
Ancient India (1st century)

1644087709073.jpeg

Kingdom of Albania: (13th/14th century)
276px-The_Coat_of_Arms_of_The_House_of_Anjou_%28Ancient%29.svg.png

Republic of Florence (12th-15th century)

png-transparent-red-flower-florentiner-lilie-fleurdelis-coat-of-arms-republic-of-florence-flag-of-montreal-hotel-symbol.png

Look at the ridership numbers first if to see if service can be reduce. From my experience of riding the 97, it is pitiful for service as well ridership to the point I been the only one on it and never seen more than 10 on it. Ridership maybe higher with better service, but these days lack of funds is stopping it..

One only has to look at Sheppard headway for the subway section to see Eglinton is going to get better headway than it.

I am expecting to see 15-20 minute headway for Hurontario bus service once the LRT is in service. No need to see the bus south of the Queensway as ridership is non existing and will be a waste of money.

Queen Elizabeth II is the “Duke of Normandy.” From link.

In the Channel Islands – the last remaining part of the former Duchy of Normandy to remain under the rule of a British monarch – off the French coast of Normandy, the British monarch is known as the “Duke of Normandy.” The title stays as “Duke” even if the monarch is a woman, as in the case of the current monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.

During a visit to Normandy in May 1967, French locals began greeting Her Majesty and shouted “Vive la Duchesse!” to which The Queen reportedly replied, “Well, I am the Duke of Normandy!” The title is used by the islanders, during their loyal toast when they say, “The Duke of Normandy, our Queen”, or “The Queen, our Duke” or, in French “La Reine, notre Duc“, rather than simply “The Queen.”

754px-Normandie-es.svg.png
From link.

The Duchy of Normandy has its origin in the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte , agreed in 911 between King Charles III of France (Charles III the Simple) and the Viking chief Rollón . In exchange for swearing allegiance to the King of France , protecting the lands from the invasions of other Viking peoples, converting to the Catholic faith and marrying Giselle, illegitimate daughter of the king, Rollon and his "Men of the North" (the Normans , from Latin Northmannorum ) receive the County of Rouen , the Pays de Caux and the Pays de Talou ( Dieppe region), lands conquered by the Normans . They constitute Upper Normandy , that is, the oldest Normandy , as opposed to the territories later incorporated into the duchy, which form Lower Normandy .

Anglo-Norman Normandy​

In the decade of the 1150s, and after the union of Normandy with Anjou and Aquitaine , as well as the access of the Plantegenêt to the throne of England, the Normans came to control half of France and all of England , thus reducing the power from France. However, technically, the Normans were still vassals of the French king.

After the Norman Conquest , political relations between the Anglo-Normans and France became complicated, as the former continued to retain their possessions in Normandy as vassals who had sworn allegiance to the King of France, but at the same time maintained an equal relationship when dealing with the kings of England.

Some experts consider that the Norman Conquest meant the cultural and economic stagnation of England for almost the next 150 years, since the kings of England preferred to rule from cities like Rouen, and concentrated all their interest in their continental possessions that were more lucrative to them.

However, others believe that the Norman Duke-Kings neglected their territories on the continent, where in theory they should continue to serve the kings of France, in order to focus in this way on the consolidation of their sovereignty over England. The economic and human effort used in the construction of cathedrals and castles, and the administration of the new territories, supposed a certain neglect of the needs of Normandy, earning the antipathy of the local nobility and weakening the Norman control of the borders of the territory. while the kings of France continued to increase their power at the same time.

The duchy was ruled as one more part of the Anglo-Norman kingdom until 1204 , when Philip II of France conquered the mainland of it. This caused a division in the Normans of the continent, between the supporters of the French monarchy and those of the Anglo-Norman monarchy.

During the Hundred Years War , the kings of England tried to regain their possessions in France.

By virtue of the Treaty of Paris , in 1259 , most of the territory happened to belong to France, but the Anglo-Norman Islands , located in the English Channel, continued to belong to the English crown (with the exception of the island of Chausey ).

In 1789 the French Revolution marked the end of the Duchy's historical rights and privileges, and the following year, the territory of Normandy was divided into five departments.

The Dukes of Normandy​

While his predecessors received the title of Jarl of the Normans or Count of Rouen, it was Richard II of Normandy who, succeeding Richard I, first received the title of Duke of Normandy.

In 1204 , the duchy was annexed to the crown by the King of France Philip Augustus . The different English kings continued to claim the territories of the duchy until the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1259 . However, the English crown continued to rule the Anglo-Norman Islands as a part of the duchy.

The duchy was given on various occasions to a member of the French royal family: thus Philip IV of France gave it to his first-born, the heir to the throne; Juan II of France , to his son the future Carlos V of France , also known by his title as a dolphin . This he later gave to his brother Louis XI , better known by his title of Duke of Berry . The dolphin Luis Carlos, second son of Louis XVI , received the recognition of Duke of Normandy before the death of his first-born brother in 1789.

The Duke of Normandy was one of the six primitive lay peers.

Back