News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I'd suggest something along these lines.

While I suspect it might be possible to build a connection where the rail corridor crosses Queen, there's definitely advantages to be had from this, in terms of routing options and better integrating RER and surface transit.

While I suspect it might be possible to build a connection where the rail corridor crosses Queen, there's definitely advantages to be had from this, in terms of routing options and better integrating RER and surface transit.
Seems reasonable as any suggestions. Not sure I'd go from Sunnyside to Dundas West - but it's hard to know what to do after Sunnyside; if I did I'd add a station somewhere in the middle. I'd also add a station at Bathurst.

I'd suggest something more like this:

Stations at Spadina, Bathurst, and Shaw/Ossington, a transfer station in the Brockton/Parkdale area, and then continuing into the Barrie line. Barrie tracks are already to the north of the corridor, and either way those trains get a stop that connects to PATH.

It is traditionally not a good thing to force commuters to go west in order to travel east.
A small double-back or S-bend is hardly a bit deal in a rapid transit line. There's examples of such things in the real world. The Green line from Atwater to Lionel-Groulx in Montreal for example.

The one proposed above is quite a big larger detour than the Montreal example though!

There is a way to measure this in travel time. Compare the travel time from Dundas West to Dufferin&Queen under the alignments proposed on post #167 vs post #170.

The one proposed above is quite a big larger detour than the Montreal example though!
Is it? You head up Parkside, and then double back, to just east of Bloor station. That's about 900 metres. In Montreal the Green line get's west to about in line Redfern and the Ville Marie/tracks after, passing under Westmount High School, before heading back east again before heading south again, curving and running underneath Charlevoix. Redfern is about 850 metres west of Atwater along St. Catharines (or De Maisonneuve). And Charlevoix is over 200 metres east of Atwater at Notre Dame.

With the geometry in Montreal it's tougher to measure .... but it's similar, if not slightly further.

In principle I definitely agree the double back is less than ideal, but on the level of analysis we've got going here I've a very hard time believing there's more loss than gained by creating the connection to Lakeshore West and the Waterfront LRT. To be honest I'd be more inclined to tunnel up Keele (with a worse connection to the rest of GO, the surface network and more tunnelling to get it) to somehwere in the Junction or end at Roncesvalles entirely (given the cost involved I suspect the double back option would actually be a fairly tough sell on any cost/benefit basis IF through running via Queen/Dufferin is feasible) follow the post #170 option that cuts the RL off from the west entirely.

In principle I definitely agree the double back is less than ideal, but on the level of analysis we've got going here I've a very hard time believing there's more loss than gained by creating the connection to Lakeshore West and the Waterfront LRT. To be honest I'd be more inclined to tunnel up Keele (with a worse connection to the rest of GO, the surface network and more tunnelling to get it) to somehwere in the Junction or end at Roncesvalles entirely (given the cost involved I suspect the double back option would actually be a fairly tough sell on any cost/benefit basis IF through running via Queen/Dufferin is feasible) follow the post #170 option that cuts the RL off from the west entirely.

The Parkdale-Parkside alignment is still the best bang for our buck because... well...

And just five minutes west away from Roncy:

You neglect all this via a more easterly diversion of the alignment up Dufferin or the Kitchener or Barrie GO rail corridors.

Meanwhile, this is Brockton:

How do the two alignment options even stack up fairly? Seriously guys, c'mon.

Isn't the whole point of a relief line that we don't have absolutely every line touching the lakeshore? If absolutely necessary, you can get off at Queen-Yonge and take the PATH down to Union, or maybe even transfer at East Harbour instead. That's going to be a much higher capacity area than Roncesvalles anyways.

Connecting in Parkdale would not only be a lot cheaper (you know what's easier than cut and cover under Parkside? Not having to tunnel west of Dufferin at all), but it's more practical to serve the Roncesvalles area directly with LRT/streetcars than mainline rail. If we're trying to ease congestion at Union, why shouldn't we do something that actually diverts people away from Union?

Let's not put serving one neighbourhood ahead of serving entire GO corridors lest steveintoronto take to calling it the Roncesvalles Entitlement.

Isn't the whole point of a relief line that we don't have absolutely every line touching the lakeshore? If absolutely necessary, you can get off at Queen-Yonge and take the PATH down to Union, or maybe even transfer at East Harbour instead. That's going to be a much higher capacity area than Roncesvalles anyways.

Connecting in Parkdale would not only be a lot cheaper (you know what's easier than cut and cover under Parkside? Not having to tunnel west of Dufferin at all), but it's more practical to serve the Roncesvalles area directly with LRT/streetcars than mainline rail. If we're trying to ease congestion at Union, why shouldn't we do something that actually diverts people away from Union?

Let's not put serving one neighbourhood ahead of serving entire GO corridors lest steveintoronto take to calling it the Roncesvalles Entitlement.
lol...and it would be an entitlement, because it would cost a bundle to be the fiefdom of a chosen few. I live right at the top of Roncy, btw,

What would make sense is to tie the Roncy streetcar into a station at either end, which it would automatically as is with Bloor (improved passenger connections are imminent in the next few years to the south of there and the west to Dundas West) and there would be another streetcar intersect on the east side of Parkdale, on the Georgetown Corridor via the Queen, King or both streetcar routes.

One of the only proposed divergence from the cross-core routings (either under Queen or King, Queen being much preferable since King will ostensibly be made a Transitway all the way to the Humber Loop) that I've seen in this string is the brilliant one by a poster of using the Barrie Corridor which is bog obvious, but I'd overlooked in my simple and fast connection as RER and/or Metro up the Georgetown Corridor to Bramalea. A split in the route in northern Parkdale would see alternate service from downtown in tunnel emerge onto the mainline to go every other train up each leg. The prime purpose of the Relief Line is...ta da: "Relief" and that means the present subway and Union Station, and secondarily, diverting the catchment areas north of the City completely away from the subway! Passengers then get a one-seat ride from the hinterlands to the core, and vice versa, or even through the core to get to the other side, without have to use any TTC vehicle save for maybe the last mile.

A split (and on the eastern end too) would mean 15 min intervals of RER on the legs, and 7.5 min interval through the core.

This isn't rocket science, this is being done and done well in a number of "world cities". And it means that it can be built without interrupting the present subway service save for passenger interconnections at stations where the lines intersect. And that interruption would just be using alternate stairways or the like. Again, exactly as has been done in London, Paris, German and EU cities etc, etc, cities where they have vastly superior transit to what we have.

Example:

Not mentioned in that article is this:
Vienna S-Bahn - Wikipedia
and
Vienna U-Bahn - Wikipedia

Trying to wind a "relief line" like a piece of spaghetti to as many places as possible completely defeats what the concept is all about. Serve those areas by all means...as feeders to the 'Relief Trunk' with buses, streetcars, soap-box derbies, whatever.

This thing is going to cost a fortune, but it can make sound business sense and financed by Enterprise along with government subsidy as long as it makes sense and does the bare minimum in terms of routing and tunnelling. Get it through the core in tunnel, and to the upper Don Valley, perhaps a leg up to Unionville too, make it do what RER is purported to be doing, and combine them, but don't try and make it 'local service'. Deep tunnel is expensive enough as it is. The fewer the stations, the better. And the fewer the diversions, the better. Serve the locals with local transit.

As a footnote Parkside Dr hosts a major sewer under it, and the area around Bloor has a powerful aquifer that feeds the pond on 'Spring Road' (the name give it away). The aquifer has an astounding pressure to it, some fifty feet of head or so.

If anyone thinks Parkside Drive, think surface route, not tunnel. And the load (including by-passing Roncy) is not enough to warrant subway. The way to do Parkside (and area) is with a bus express from the present streetcar station on the Parkside Bridge, up to Keele Station. Cheap, affordable, very quick to institute, and it should be running now! It's my view that the Queen car should be going up Roncy, and the King should be on the Queensway to the Humber Loop as the western extension of the King Transitway.

But that's described in another string.

Last edited:

Back