News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Maybe adding a GO station at Queen and Roncey would get you most of the way there! I think part of the reason why we won't and don't see as much interest in subway extensions to the west end is that the GO network has a lot of potential to provide most of that value as GO Expansion comes online. Where would such an extension go that is not just duplicating GO service? Most say up Dufferin or Jane, not further along Queen.
Well as far as I am aware there isn't a proposed GO station at Queen and Roncy so a subway station would not be duplicating GO services. GO transit is also much more expensive to use and even more expensive when transferring to the subway network. If the subway goes up Dufferin it would not be very accessible to a good portion of residents to the west because of the railway tracks. Roncesvalles/Parkdale is changing as a neighbourhood and lots of young couples/families are moving in which is all leading to higher transit demand.

Well as far as I am aware there isn't a proposed GO station at Queen and Roncy so a subway station would not be duplicating GO services. GO transit is also much more expensive to use and even more expensive when transferring to the subway network. If the subway goes up Dufferin it would not be very accessible to a good portion of residents to the west because of the railway tracks. Roncesvalles/Parkdale is changing as a neighbourhood and lots of young couples/families are moving in which is all leading to higher transit demand.
Over the last 5 years alone, the population in the census tracts around Roncy/the GO station you are proposing have decreased by 0.1%, 3%, 6%, 6%, 8%, and 9%..

1683149867799.png

Last edited:
Over the last 5 years alone, the population in the census tracts around Roncy/the GO station you are proposing have decreased by 0.1%, 3%, 6%, 6%, 8%, and 9%..

Oddly, I find this to be the strongest argument in favour of a new station IFF combined with much higher density zoning within 1.5km of the station so that part of the neighbourhood can be razed and rebuilt.

There is currently excess street, sewer, electrical, etc. capacity in that region. If a small investment can attract people who will utilize that excess infrastructure, then it might be worth while.

Despite the declining population, the area remains quite dense by Toronto standards. Eventually, the balance between shrinking household sizes vs. increasing housing units should cross back into growth. Certainly, I would imagine that a station could be justified to serve the density at Jameson, and St. Joe's would likely be one of the largest trip generators on the OL West were it to be extended to Roncesvalles.

Despite the declining population, the area remains quite dense by Toronto standards. Eventually, the balance between shrinking household sizes vs. increasing housing units should cross back into growth. Certainly, I would imagine that a station could be justified to serve the density at Jameson, and St. Joe's would likely be one of the largest trip generators on the OL West were it to be extended to Roncesvalles.
If they are considering developing high density over the Davisville Yard (see link), the city could also develop over the Roncesvalles Yard (and Russell Yard). All use electrically driven rail vehicles, so don't have the fumes that we would experience with diesel buses.

I think you're thinking about this incorrectly. Asking for a $5B subway instead of a $100M GO station and fare integration is why we have such an underdeveloped transit system. We can't build subways to everywhere, and there is literally going to be an electrified heavy rail line running right past that intersection headed downtown. Lack of fare integration is a bad reason to spend billions on subways.

I think you're thinking about this incorrectly. Asking for a $5B subway instead of a $100M GO station and fare integration is why we have such an underdeveloped transit system. We can't build subways to everywhere, and there is literally going to be an electrified heavy rail line running right past that intersection headed downtown. Lack of fare integration is a bad reason to spend billions on subways.
I'm not sure where you got your numbers from but it doesn't seem like they are accurate. The GO station is a 25 minute walk away. Then there is the issue of fare integration and transferring multiple times. Is the GO system offering stations all around downtown or would I have to transfer at Union station again? That would make it three transfers as opposed to driving to the core which would take 20 minutes.

honestly the go cannot come sooner to park lawn/lakeshore... i know its still in planning and is part of phase 1.. but at this rate it wont be open till 2030.

Interesting to see that the official plan has the Ontario Line curving north to Roncesvalle, terminating at Dundas West station. One would assume with stations at Sorauren/Queen and Roncesvalles/Dundas/Howard Park. Had someone mentioned that being in the OP before?

View attachment 397896
Are any of these stations still part of the plan to be built eventually?

Are any of these stations still part of the plan to be built eventually?
Not that we know. The latest regional plan from the province has an "eastern" extension up Don Mills Road, turning west to Pearson, then South to Kipling. Presumably there's a western extension, but no indication on the route - and I assume it's still under debate - or at least procrastination.

honestly the go cannot come sooner to park lawn/lakeshore... i know its still in planning and is part of phase 1.. but at this rate it wont be open till 2030.
This area needs local rapid transit, otherwise people will just take that Go to work, and drive for everything else which is what they are doing now. I can't think of another area in the western world with densities as high as Park Lawn and Lakeshore (already, but especially after Christie) with no local rapid transit in sight or planned.

This area needs local rapid transit, otherwise people will just take that Go to work, and drive for everything else which is what they are doing now. I can't think of another area in the western world with densities as high as Park Lawn and Lakeshore (already, but especially after Christie) with no local rapid transit in sight or planned.
Wait till the food terminal moves. Don’t worry. One go train station will suffice.

Back