News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I told myself I wasn't going to parse the proposal, but here are just a few points:

There has been a relatively small lobby to upgrade the Sultan Rd. for years, mostly by truckers who decry the grades and weather-related closures between Wawa and SSM. It is always firmly opposed by SSM for obvious reasons. It would also require a Wawa bypass since 101 goes through town. I used the Sultan Rd. a few times and it does save time, but current 101 and 144 are not built and maintained to the same standards as 17. I don't have the traffic data to back it up, but my sense is that a lot of commercial traffic shifts to Hwy 11 from 17 during the winter. It is flatter and thus easier on fuel and less prone to weather-related closures. One downside is it goes directly through more communities (and is really boring).

I'm not aware that many, if any, commercial traffic coming from the west enroute to southern Ontario or points east goes through the US. The only ones that would is if their destination is Sarnia/Windsor or perhaps London. I've done it both ways (in a car, not a CMV) and to the GTA it's pretty much a wash, and that's back when the border was faster.

The original plan for the SSM East bypass did entail a direct connection with Hwy 17 North (either via 2nd or 3rd line, I can't remember). Negotiations didn't go as planned.

There is much discussion about faster routes between hither and yon, but I'm not convinced that traffic patterns necessarily always support it. Having a faster, more direct route between Timmins and SSM, for example, is of limited benefit if hardly anybody does that.

I can't remember if I actually read it, or just think I did and came up with the conclusion myself, but folks may notice that the areas of 17 and 11 that are slowly getting twinned in the n/w are those where there is no other alternative route; 17 from MB border to Kenora (actually Longbow Corner) and 11/17 from TBay to Nipigon. They might be adjacent to each other but they will be two roadways (carriageways as they say in the UK) with separate bridges. I see it as a strategic transportation move rather than responding to traffic volumes.

I'm not convinced the far n/w into the Lowlands will have much tourism potential beyond perhaps some fly-in hunting and fishing. Even if some roads are pushed through, 'off-the-beaten-path' travel is very difficult. Even with the RofF development road being negotiated, I haven't heard much lately on whether the FNTs are keen on having them as public access roads and opening up their traditional lands to tourists. Beyond mineral exploration, the area has very little if any other resource potential. Rest assured anything happening up there will require the cooperation of FNTs, and that will take a very long time.

Last edited:
Your comment on commercial truck traffic from Ontario headed west (or vice versa) through the US is interesting. I have no figures and speak only anecdotally, but having spent quite a bit of time in the State of Wisconsin the amount of truck traffic on I90/94 wearing Ontario and Quebec plates is interesting. I would believe that a certain % of those routes would access the Interstate System and cheaper diesel from Buffalo or points east to access the crossing at Emerson/Pembina.

Cutting a new highway through virgin forests far from the populated areas of Northern ON would not be palatable these days. However, here are some thoughts I have on the rest.

1) 417 should be extended to the SSM international Bridge along 17/550.

2) 11 needs to be 4 lanes from North Bay to Thunder Bay. While this may not be the shortest route, at only 100km longer, it is the flatter route.

3) 17 Needs to be 4 lanes from Thunder Bay to MB.

4) 101 divided from 144 to 11.

5) Finish 4 laning 69.

6) pave Sultan Industrial Rd and sign it as a 5xx or 6xx highway.

7) Build a 4 lane highway from 17 to Sudbury Airport.

8) 4 lane 144 between Lively and Chelmsford.

9) Build "route 6" through North Bay

10) realign MR55/Big Nickel Mine Rd/ Maley Dr and have it 4-6 lanes throughout.

Now for Rail.....

1) Northlander between Timmins - North Bay - Toronto.

2) "Northland" Between Hearst -Cochrane - Timmins. Timetables for 1 and 2 should line up to be able to transfer in Timmins from 1 and 2. This line should also connect with the PBX for a smooth transfer.

3) Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury - SSM - Thunder Bay - Winnipeg. the sections between North Bay and SSM have some of the largest populations in NEO.

4) Toronto - North Bay - Sudbury - Toronto This U would be useful for cottage traffic south, and for regular traffic between Sudbury and North Bay.

5) relay the tracks in the Ottawa Valley and connect a route Ottawa - North Bay and beyond.

Air Travel

There is a missing link. The North Bay - Timmins does not exist. Add 1 a day each way.

This is my dream for transportation in Northern Ontario.

I was reading through the business case for the Northlander, and while there was a lot of good info in there, there is one part which got me concerned.

That part is the BCR, specifically that it was well below one. To me, that puts a lot of doubt in my mind whether it is worthwhile to restore the Northlander. Over on the VIA thread, there was a lot of criticism related to proposals of restoring intercity corridors of similarly low population.

What I worry about is that the resources used to restore the Northlander would be better spent on improving busses which would have a greater impact.

In general, I feel like the Northlander has limited value since it can't serve major destinations like Barrie and Orrillia (does anybody know what that was moved 4 years before abandonment in 1992?).

Is there much of a justification from a pure transport/mobility perspective, or is this move mostly political, as in buying votes?

Your comment on commercial truck traffic from Ontario headed west (or vice versa) through the US is interesting. I have no figures and speak only anecdotally, but having spent quite a bit of time in the State of Wisconsin the amount of truck traffic on I90/94 wearing Ontario and Quebec plates is interesting. I would believe that a certain % of those routes would access the Interstate System and cheaper diesel from Buffalo or points east to access the crossing at Emerson/Pembina.
My comment was anecdotal as well. The attached 'infographic' shows some traffic through Manitoba and other western border points but, just going by the thickness of lines, it doesn't seem to be huge (I didn't dig into actual numbers behind it). In terms of Canadian trucks entering the US then re-entering Canada simply as a route alternative (and, I suppose, US-registered trucks as well), I could find no data; any search I tried was cluttered with vaccines and convoys.

I was reading through the business case for the Northlander, and while there was a lot of good info in there, there is one part which got me concerned.

That part is the BCR, specifically that it was well below one. To me, that puts a lot of doubt in my mind whether it is worthwhile to restore the Northlander. Over on the VIA thread, there was a lot of criticism related to proposals of restoring intercity corridors of similarly low population.

What I worry about is that the resources used to restore the Northlander would be better spent on improving busses which would have a greater impact.

In general, I feel like the Northlander has limited value since it can't serve major destinations like Barrie and Orrillia (does anybody know what that was moved 4 years before abandonment in 1992?).

Is there much of a justification from a pure transport/mobility perspective, or is this move mostly political, as in buying votes?

Close the 401 for 12 hours every month in winter. What would happen? That is a reality of highway 11. Highway 11 does close often enough due to weather and accidents.

Buses tend not to have any meal services.
Buses tend not to stop long enough for a meal in a restaurant.
Buses tend not to have microwaves and potable water on board.

It might be ok for the ~4 hours between Toronto and North Bay, but Toronto to Timmins is 8 hours.

GO Transit is also subsidized.
This is an extreme case, but it still shows that the government does subsidize other transportation systems.

All the highways in the province are subsidized. You, the user of that highway does not directly pay a cent for it.

Along the line, there isn't many ridings. Most of them won't change whether this opens or not.

So, if you support GO train service, because it is "pure transport/mobility" then You should support the Northlander for the very same reasons.

Close the 401 for 12 hours every month in winter. What would happen? That is a reality of highway 11. Highway 11 does close often enough due to weather and accidents.

It might be ok for the ~4 hours between Toronto and North Bay, but Toronto to Timmins is 8 hours.

This is an extreme case, but it still shows that the government does subsidize other transportation systems.

All the highways in the province are subsidized. You, the user of that highway does not directly pay a cent for it.

Along the line, there isn't many ridings. Most of them won't change whether this opens or not.

So, if you support GO train service, because it is "pure transport/mobility" then You should support the Northlander for the very same reasons.
This isn't related to cost recovery, but benefit to cost ratio. Most major transit projects have benefit to cost ratios greater than one. GO electrification is an example. The problem is that the Northlander is something like 0.2-0.3 iirc.

This isn't related to cost recovery, but benefit to cost ratio. Most major transit projects have benefit to cost ratios greater than one. GO electrification is an example. The problem is that the Northlander is something like 0.2-0.3 iirc.

The problem is that comparing a bus to a train is not a good thing to begin with.
So, what are the metrics to compare the cost benefits?

You admit that you're just advocating for rail without caring about the benefit or cost?
No.

I am however stating that the 2 modes are not the same for long distance travel. In fact, I laid that out a few posts above.

I will put it below.

Would there be any sense in bringing the Polar Bear Express south to Timmins instead of figuring out a way to still get Ontario Northland trains to Cochrane with Timmins having being announced as the new terminus?

Would there be any sense in bringing the Polar Bear Express south to Timmins instead of figuring out a way to still get Ontario Northland trains to Cochrane with Timmins having being announced as the new terminus?
The PBX is a mixed train, and there are no facilities to handle freight at Timmins (well, there are no facilities to handle anything at all right now).

Does anyone know the reason why the Northlander was moved to the Bala Sub in 1992? It seems like it was done for no reason at all. The line wasn't abandoned for another 4 years, and moving to the Bala Sub cut the train off from major sources of ridership.

It is possible, but for a variety of reasons, it doesn't make sense.

1) The train consists of rail cars that carry vehicles. Those loading ramps and sidings would be needed.

2) The train consists of boxcars that would need to be loaded and attached to the train.

3) It is run the same day, both directions with the same crew. Adding that distance will mean the potential for needing 2 crews to do it.

Yes it could be extended, but whether it wiuld be the best idea, I don't know.

Back