News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Does anyone know the reason why the Northlander was moved to the Bala Sub in 1992? It seems like it was done for no reason at all. The line wasn't abandoned for another 4 years, and moving to the Bala Sub cut the train off from major sources of ridership.
Just speculating, but it might just have part of CN implementing their 3-year plan that had to be filed with TC. The loss of ridership was going to happen anyway.

Article from Thursday, April 14th.
In the Updated Initial Business Case (the kinda-sorta final plan), South River and Kirkland Lake were added as "sensitivity stations". I didn't really get into how they defined 'sensitivity' - I just assumed it had something to do with the upcoming election. 😁

From the above:

1650912913073.png

I believe this is a quote attributed to Lucille Frith: She is the co-chair of both the Northeastern Ontario Rail Network and the Committee Promoting Muskoka Rail Travel.

Without insider knowledge (which I don't have), she is making the assumption that ONTC is going to buy new trainsets, which I'm not sure has been established. They have announced the purchase of more power, but they could just as easily refurbish some more of their former GO fleet. The former would likely take less time but more money; the latter the opposite.

Buildings in Gravenhurst and Huntsville still exist. Huntsville is in private hands while G'Hurst is owned by the town. No doubt both would support a return to a 'train station', but leases need negotiating, tenants possibly relocated (apparently part of G'Hurst houses a vet clinic). Bracebridge was never more that a kiosk and I haven't noticed if it is still there.

I can understand the anticipation, but such things don't turn on a dime, and we have to remember that much of this is pre-election promises. I'm not sure how much money has actually changed hands.

I'm not sure I agree with her assertion that the Northlander was dropped because it interfered with freight operations. North of Washago, I believe there are two freight trains/day, and south of Washago, it didn't necessarily interfere as much as CN really didn't see it as a priority, a situation that will still exist. I foresee more interference with enhanced GO service on the Bala sub. in the GTA.

Advocacy is great, but when they start fussing over scheduling that works for multiple needs, and how people get from home to the train station (which, if anything, is a municipal issue), they really need to take a small pill.

It was shut down to save costs.

Right now, the old PBX cars are sitting, waiting to be refurbished. There is no reason that they couldn't do that right now.

I don't think we know which corporate direction ONTC will take regarding rolling stock. Whichever direction is decided and approved will require funding to be released. Even if they decide to refurbish, the fabrication shops have contract commitments that have to be satisfied, and we don't know how much spare capacity they have.

I don't think we know which corporate direction ONTC will take regarding rolling stock. Whichever direction is decided and approved will require funding to be released. Even if they decide to refurbish, the fabrication shops have contract commitments that have to be satisfied, and we don't know how much spare capacity they have.
1) This could be an easy way to stall the opening to the point that it can be cancelled.

2) The shops in North Bay have the physical capacity to do it. Whether they have the manpower is the real question.

1) This could be an easy way to stall the opening to the point that it can be cancelled.

2) The shops in North Bay have the physical capacity to do it. Whether they have the manpower is the real question.

2) I'll have to take your word for it.

Hiring staff for what would essentially be in-house work would require funding.

That is true. The Ford government hasn't shown us the money. That is why I feel 1) is more likely.
Didn't they commit 75m to new rolling stock? Or was that for the whole project?

They could just tack into the VIA Siemens order and convert one car to sleepers.

Back