News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If this closes down, Huron Central is done. It won't be able to recover from this loss of traffic. It seems like the announced investment was for nothing unfortunately.
"To satisfy the merger guidelines, Domtar agreed to sell its Dryden pulp mill and Thunder Bay pulp and paper mill in northwestern Ontario once it purchases Resolute."

I doubt it will close. However, if it does close, this will most likely cause the line to shut down.

Video referenced is here:

1675108776478.png

Last edited:

Video referenced is here:

View attachment 453309
In terms of winter railroading, that's some pretty tame images. If that went viral, social media is more boring than I thought.
I realize it won't accomodate everyone who uses 400/11 but for some trips it'll be nice to have an alternative.

At least in that location, there are alternative routes, provided you can bail before getting caught in the backup.

South of North Bay, it is easy to bypass an accident on Highway 11.
Between north of South River and Sundridge there is Hwy 124 (old Hwy 11). Beyond that it's a collection of assorted back roads that your GPS might be a able to stitch together - for a while. That or head over to Hwy 69. South of Huntsville the option get better.

Between north of South River and Sundridge there is Hwy 124 (old Hwy 11). Beyond that it's a collection of assorted back roads that your GPS might be a able to stitch together - for a while. That or head over to Hwy 69.
Look up the 500 and 600 series highways in the area between South River and North Bay. Not hard to figure a route regardless of time of year.

The section between Marten River and Cobalt is where it gets tough.

Look up the 500 and 600 series highways in the area between South River and North Bay. Not hard to figure a route regardless of time of year.

The section between Marten River and Cobalt is where it gets tough.
Ya got me. I've driven them in the summer. Hard to imagine how much fun they'd be in the winter, especially for large vehicles. Typically, closures on 69 or 11 that offer 511-posted detours usually shoot traffic right across to the other route via 124 or 522. I don't know if the OPP/MTO use certain parameters of highway condition or alignment. Sometime they will post dotour routes for "light vehicles only".

Ya got me. I've driven them in the summer. Hard to imagine how much fun they'd be in the winter, especially for large vehicles. Typically, closures on 69 or 11 that offer 511-posted detours usually shoot traffic right across to the other route via 124 or 522. I don't know if the OPP/MTO use certain parameters of highway condition or alignment. Sometime they will post dotour routes for "light vehicles only".
69 north of Parry Sound is bad for detours. 11 is not so bad. Those secondary highways can take trucks if needed.

69 north of Parry Sound is bad for detours. 11 is not so bad. Those secondary highways can take trucks if needed.
We seem to be having an off-topic discussion that probably nobody cares about. The bottom half of 654 is pretty dodgy. Factors such as curves, shoulders (or lack of), sightlines and grade transitions aren't great (but fun on a motorcycle). Of course, a transport could travel these secondary highways; in any kind of volume and during the winter might be another thing. Another factor might be the quality of rig drivers these days, some of whom seem to have trouble on primary highways.

Similarly, anybody who tries to take their rig across 518 should have their Class A revoked on the spot (but, again, fun on a motorcycle)

Last summer, I got caught in an unofficial detour off Hwy 11 south of Gravenhurst that used municipal roads. All was fine until a float carrying an excavator took and intersection wrong and dropped the trailer wheels into the ditch (no shoulders). We were on bikes, so quite easy to turn around and back track, but the larger vehicle and anybody with a trailer were stranded. They might still be there.

I lived in the north for a lot of years and have driven Hwy 11 often in the winter. Choices are limited the further north you go, particularly in lousy weather -- which of course is generally when the highway is closed! If something happens north of Marten River, depending on your final destination, you're going via Quebec or Sturgeon Falls and then cutting back over through Verner/Field. When the bridge was out at Latchford for months, a 2 1/2 hr drive to Sudbury doubled (or even the 1 1/2 hrs to North Bay)

I lived in the north for a lot of years and have driven Hwy 11 often in the winter. Choices are limited the further north you go, particularly in lousy weather -- which of course is generally when the highway is closed! If something happens north of Marten River, depending on your final destination, you're going via Quebec or Sturgeon Falls and then cutting back over through Verner/Field. When the bridge was out at Latchford for months, a 2 1/2 hr drive to Sudbury doubled (or even the 1 1/2 hrs to North Bay)
Yup. The north can be dodgey for alternatives. Weather can be a big factor but a lot of collisions can do the same. Both 17 and 11 have been closed due to weather several times this winter, as well as a lot of the cross-linking routes such as 101 through Chapleau and 631 through Hornpayne.

Back