News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If these proposed vehicles are busses, why not just do a similar route on the road?

The idea is that during rush hour you can avoid traffic on roads by using the rails.

I think, that if you are going to go through all that effort, just rip up the rails and replace with asphalt and create a BRT route. Paving is relatively cheap.

That way you can have bi-directionality. by paving two lanes the entire way and not have some untested overly complicated railbus technology thing.

They did a similar thing in Gatineau (but beside the rails as they are still active)

Perhaps could be done beside the rails as well, but its kinda tight in places.

Anyways, I dont really think this route really warrants a BRT service. It doesnt really go anywhere of notable density. The only thing it would be good for is a connection between the Milton Line and Kitchener Line, but that already will eventually happen with the Hurontario LRT.

Last edited:
If they want to make it work and not ask for any government subsidy, then just let them try. Doesn't matter why they choose the method they choose, they are in the driver's seat.

If they end up asking for a subsidy, that's another matter. Then one should ask whether the subsidy will achieve more if given to the existing transit system.

If they want to make it work and not ask for any government subsidy, then just let them try. Doesn't matter why they choose the method they choose, they are in the driver's seat.

If they end up asking for a subsidy, that's another matter. Then one should ask whether the subsidy will achieve more if given to the existing transit system.

Almost every medium to large sized company these days gets government subsidy/tax break etc in some form or another. When I worked at a medium sized web development firm we had an entire accounting employee dedicated to government grants/subsidies etc and how we could possibly access them (what the company had to do to be eligible etc) and then plan the work necessary to get them and apply etc.

It depends exactly what type you mean or how much.

I don't see why people are wanting to save the railway. There really isn't much of a point to it. The southern portion isn't particularly useful for transit and for freight, as we know, trucks are able to do the job better and cheaper.

As for this company, there is no way they are going to get it. Not only is their idea totally bonkers, Orangeville wants to sell the land to redevelop it. This company won't be able to match the amount Orangeville will get by selling the land so it won't be saved because Orangeville won't accept their asking price.

It's not a bad thing either. There isn't much point in losing sleep over a railway that ran twice a week. Buying the OBRY was a big mistake for Orangeville. They never got anything out of it. The industries in Orangeville aren't going anywhere, they didn't need the railway. At least they will get a trail out of it.

I don't see why you in particular have a fascination with ripping out rail lines - from OBRY, to BCRY, to Finch West and even the midtown line. The portion through Caledon will probably be made into a rail trail no matter what, since Hurontario is a more direct route to almost anywhere of note, but rail is easier to maintain as a clear, segregated right-of-way which is always faster and more reliable than mixed traffic lanes. We don't need to expropriate driveways or get rid of traffic lanes to move more people. I can't imagine biking through the Meadowvale and McLaughlin industrial areas being more pleasant than the bus anyways.

In this case, the idea of this company that wants to buy the line doesn't seem to be a good one. They say they want to buy it, but they don't say where they will get the money, if you go to their website, they don't have photos of a finished product, just vague and contradictory details about their convoluted idea. They are scam artists looking for publicity.

My fascination with the OBRY is just why people are interested in saving it. It has been a failure in every sense and it has cost citizens of Orangeville a lot of money since 2000. The tourist operation failed, the freight operation failed. Orangeville were fools to ever buy it. I guess hindsight is 20/20, but they should have known that their industrial base was capable of operating with trucks.

I don't see why people are wanting to save the railway. There really isn't much of a point to it. The southern portion isn't particularly useful for transit and for freight, as we know, trucks are able to do the job better and cheaper.

As for this company, there is no way they are going to get it. Not only is their idea totally bonkers, Orangeville wants to sell the land to redevelop it. This company won't be able to match the amount Orangeville will get by selling the land so it won't be saved because Orangeville won't accept their asking price.

It's not a bad thing either. There isn't much point in losing sleep over a railway that ran twice a week. Buying the OBRY was a big mistake for Orangeville. They never got anything out of it. The industries in Orangeville aren't going anywhere, they didn't need the railway. At least they will get a trail out of it.

I see a purpose for from Brampton GO north in 20 years from now if the population of Orangeville etc warrants a GO train line.

But you could very well convert to a rail trail in the meantime, with the intent to be able to convert back at any time. Unfortunately it becomes a NIMBY issue; people get used to having a bike trail and dont see it want to go.

I agree with the purpose South of Brampton, it doesnt go to any meaningful destinations. I say rail trail it.

Almost every medium to large sized company these days gets government subsidy/tax break etc in some form or another. When I worked at a medium sized web development firm we had an entire accounting employee dedicated to government grants/subsidies etc and how we could possibly access them (what the company had to do to be eligible etc) and then plan the work necessary to get them and apply etc.

It depends exactly what type you mean or how much.

Zero subsidy means zero subsidy.

Seems to me that contiguous ROWs are precious and we should resist letting them go.
It depends. The Orangeville Brampton Railway RoW isn't valuable. There isn't any worthwile use case for rail on the route and most importantly, Orangeville is entitled to recoup the money wasted on the failed venture so should be allowed to redevelop the right of way how they see fit.

Here’s a thought - why not concrete in the rails just north of the diamond, and create an busway, but leaving the option for trains to run over it off hours? The OBRY is a low speed low frequency service.

^ Might get some NIMBYs from people who back onto the track. Also could be difficult for transfers. Also not sure if a diamond/Brampton GO to Snelgrove express has enough ridership? Brampton Transit's current priorities for growth appear to be it's existing and future Zum lines. Cc @Wm Perkins Bull @ShonTron

Last edited:
^ Might get some NIMBYs from people who back onto the track. Also could be difficult for transfers. Also not sure if a diamond/Brampton GO to Snelgrove express has enough ridership? Brampton Transit's current priorities for growth appear to be it's existing and future Zum lines. Cc @Wm Perkins Bull
It would make more sense to simply do a Highway 10 BRT, it would be cheaper and easier. Along Highway 10 is better for redevelopment as it enables redevelopment of the Kingspoint Plaza, further on the plazas around Westervelt Corners at the intersection of Highways 7 & 10 (Bovaird and Hurontario/Main), and the Industrial area between Hurontario and McLaughlin Road. Furthermore, converting OBRY to a Busway would prevent it from being used for freight to the Brampton Airport, or the industrial area around it planned in the long term.

Furthermore, converting OBRY to a Busway would prevent it from being used for freight to the Brampton Airport, or the industrial area around it planned in the long term.
why? there are several examples of rail street running in North America and if Bus access was limited to peak service to/from Brampton GO it leaves say 1100-1500 for daytime freight ops.

Back