News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

From my observations, you seem to be advocating for the ROW to be sold or converted into a trail, but here in Ottawa we're having the exact same debate. If you use the ROW for something else, it's gone forever.
You can put in amendments to any trail that it can be turned into a rail corridor again at a later time if need be. For example, the Leaside Spur, Metrolinx has that very agreement with the city.

Now, dealing with the NIMBY fallout from converting said trail back to rail is a different difficulty.

One can always still squeeze a trail next to the rail tracks, but people who have a nice quiet bike trail in their backyards are not too keen on even electric trains whizzing by.

Its a hard thing to reverse politically.

You can put in amendments to any trail that it can be turned into a rail corridor again at a later time if need be. For example, the Leaside Spur, Metrolinx has that very agreement with the city.

Now, dealing with the NIMBY fallout from converting said trail back to rail is a different difficulty.

One can always still squeeze a trail next to the rail tracks, but people who have a nice quiet bike trail in their backyards are not too keen on even electric trains whizzing by.

Its a hard thing to reverse politically.

The NIMBY effect is indeed huge. From experience in Ottawa, such a ROW will never become rail again. We are burying the LRT for 3 km because they turned the ROW into a trail, which residents resist turning into LRT. Ideally, the trail starts at the point where the rail line diverges onto a straighter path, but we all know that's never going to happen.

The NIMBY effect is indeed huge. From experience in Ottawa, such a ROW will never become rail again. We are burying the LRT for 3 km because they turned the ROW into a trail, which residents resist turning into LRT. Ideally, the trail starts at the point where the rail line diverges onto a straighter path, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Awful. Huge expense to everyone just because some people don't want a quiet LRT "ruining their property value"

Awful. Huge expense to everyone just because some people don't want a quiet LRT "ruining their property value"
It's about service speed (all of those curves!), not about property values. The distance is about 20% shorter on a straight line, not to mention the slower speeds because of the curves. And unlike the Newmarket Sub, there is not much development on the curves. It's just curving around a straight line (some sections can and should be reused.) Of course, that comes after demand is proven.

Exactly. Once the rails are lifted, neighbours become accustomed to the peace and quiet of no trains. It is almost impossible to convert a ROW back to rail. It is better to leave the rails in place even if the track is not actually used. This makes it clear that this is not someone's backyard park.

Exactly. Once the rails are lifted, neighbours become accustomed to the peace and quiet of no trains. It is almost impossible to convert a ROW back to rail. It is better to leave the rails in place even if the track is not actually used. This makes it clear that this is not someone's backyard park.

The town is going to want to extract as much as they can out of the ROW, including the scrap value. I'm not sure, but I believe that if it left intact but embargoed, as opposed to a vacant strip of property, the tax rate is higher.

The town is going to want to extract as much as they can out of the ROW, including the scrap value. I'm not sure, but I believe that if it left intact but embargoed, as opposed to a vacant strip of property, the tax rate is higher.
In the long term, a transit line can be set up using (part of or all of) the corridor, which will bring commuters. Of course, I hope that densification comes first but we have a Ford in Queen's Park. :rolleyes:

Easy. Expropriate every last one of the buggers, build the line, and sell the land to developers at a profit.

it line can be set up using (part of or all of) the corridor, which will bring commuters. Of course, I hope that densification comes first but we have a Ford in Queen
There is lots of Federal money for public transit so I would think that there is something they can do, but there needs to be a will to get it done.

"the Orangeville Railway Development Corporation (ORDC) has put out a Request For Proposal (RFP) to assist in the consultation and sale of some of the land parcels of the rail line."

"the Orangeville Railway Development Corporation (ORDC) has put out a Request For Proposal (RFP) to assist in the consultation and sale of some of the land parcels of the rail line."

S C A M

But seriously. These guys don't even have a prototype, so it really seems like they are jumping the gun here. Also, to all the folks that want to preserve this as a rail line, it seems that this operation would make it incompatible with freight equipment, at least judging by the illustration on their website.

This quote also stands out for me:
That’s been going on for a couple of decades now and that’s the way that’s most efficient and inexpensive way to get product to or from its manufacturing spot. So, these short line rails have closed all over North America and this is just another one of those that’s due for that – just not financially viable
The era of the shortline is basically over. Companies that need rail go to where it is available. Otherwise they transload. No big deal.

I would love to see this line saved, but the economics are against it and judging by the town's actions, they are going to sell it in sections. She's done folks.

S C A M

But seriously. These guys don't even have a prototype, so it really seems like they are jumping the gun here. Also, to all the folks that want to preserve this as a rail line, it seems that this operation would make it incompatible with freight equipment, at least judging by the illustration on their website.

This quote also stands out for me:

The era of the shortline is basically over. Companies that need rail go to where it is available. Otherwise they transload. No big deal.

I would love to see this line saved, but the economics are against it and judging by the town's actions, they are going to sell it in sections. She's done folks.

Yeah, this is about as viable as Moose in Ottawa.

I also think that the OBRY should be a warning to other shortlines in Ontario, specifically municipal ones.

The OBRY should also be a warning to the municipalities and counties trying to save the St. Thomas & Eastern.

I could also see Barrie looking to what Orangeville is doing and consider shuttering the BCRY.

Back