News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For those not wishing to click-through.
1617036793194.png

Interesting. What's the new station on the old CP spur just before Hamilton Central?

Image from the Board of Trade report:
1617036875465.png

I posted the full set in this thread:

There really is no happy ending for the OBRY. Even under the best case scenario, a portion of the OBRY is preserved but all the freight is shifted to road continuing freight rail's decline in Ontario as well as the exodus of manufacturing.
Yup. Ontario continues to act like shortline freight rail is an anachronism when countries like Germany are pushing for new industrial developments to have rail access, and retrofit existing ones with it that don't have it already, under climate goals.

Yup. Ontario continues to act like shortline freight rail is an anachronism when countries like Germany are pushing for new industrial developments to have rail access, and retrofit existing ones with it that don't have it already, under climate goals.
The big problem with Ontario's rail network is that it is nearly incapable of serving industries without transloading or intermodal. This adds cost and complexity to shipping by rail and reduces freight rail's ability to grow. It also locks out regions from economic growth.

A couple of years ago, the manufacturers in Orangeville were saying how the rail line was critical to their operations. Now they are the ones pulling the plug on the rail line. You can tell they have already made their decision. The companies in Orangeville have other plants across North America that can absorb the capacity and I'm sure those plants will be happy for the business.

With the discussion earlier today in the GO service thread, it got me thinking about the OBRY trail.

My question is what should the trail look like? What will deliver the best value?

For example, how much should be lit and paved. Will the large trestle be able to be converted to pedestrian use at a reasonable cost or should it be torn down?

It may be a good idea to create an OBRY trail wish list in case there is opportunity for public input.

With the discussion earlier today in the GO service thread, it got me thinking about the OBRY trail.

My question is what should the trail look like? What will deliver the best value?

For example, how much should be lit and paved. Will the large trestle be able to be converted to pedestrian use at a reasonable cost or should it be torn down?

It may be a good idea to create an OBRY trail wish list in case there is opportunity for public input.

Any trail lighting should be confined to urban areas; and outside of natural park zones.

Lighting in natural areas is both harmful and wasteful.

But the portion near DT Brampton or the bit south of Derry would be fine to light; should those sections become trail.

Any trail lighting should be confined to urban areas; and outside of natural park zones.

Lighting in natural areas is both harmful and wasteful.

But the portion near DT Brampton or the bit south of Derry would be fine to light; should those sections become trail.

The sections between Steeles Avenue and up to Mayfield should be paved and lit, as if it was part of the Brampton recreational trail system - it would connect several elementary and secondary schools, connect existing parks, and provide a great north-south cycling route. I think it should be paved south of Steeles Avenue, but unlit, as it enters a heritage village (Churchville) and a conservation area south of the 407.

Once it passes Mayfield Road to the north, well-maintained crushed stone, with signed (and in certain places, signalized) crossings, similar in quality to the Caledon Trailway that goes east west and would connect at Inglewood. Of course the bridges should be maintained, especially the one over Forks of the Credit, but with sturdy railings.

In a lot of ways, I am actually quite glad to see things headed in the direction they are. This trail is going to be incredible and a major tourist attraction. I know that I will be using it quite a lot. I am glad that council is making this decision. Even though it is an unpopular decision, I think it is best long term. The big question is expense though, given how much the town has spent on it already, they need to start making a return.

I also think the corridor in downtown Brampton at the site of the former station will make an excellent development site. We always need more housing.

While rail trails are quite popular, I have a bit of a hard time seeing them as a "major tourist attraction".

In my opinion the trail should be placed beside the train tracks and the tracks/bed preserved for potential future use. Rail bridges can be used by the trail, it would merge onto the track area at those points, with the rails removed on the bridge.

In the future, if the track is reused for passenger service etc, new trail bridges can be built beside and the rail bridges retracked.

Back