News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They specifically looked at all people who travel from Orangeville to Toronto, and using the TTS, determined this to be 100 across all modes. This is not even the seated capacity of 1 BiLevel. Even if the population of Orangeville doubled, and 10% of the population used it, that is still only 6k people, which at a cost of $400m, is over $60k per rider. If you really wanted improved regional connectivity for Orangeville, what you'd push for is for Brampton to have a Highway 10 BRT, from Steeles to King Street it'd run in dedicated lanes, and from King Street to Orangeville, it'd run in paved shoulders, that might be justifiable.

I can guarantee that way more than 100 people drive from Orangeville to Toronto for work. (pre pandemic)

If you still have lost the plot then you won't understand my previous message nor will you ever.

1. Doesn't matter. Car people don't want to take a bus.

2. Even during rush hour?

1. If you don’t think that people don’t want to take a bus, I suggest you read about the outrage when GO Transit planned to eliminate the peak-direction Hamilton QEW express buses.

2. Yes.

1. If you don’t think that people don’t want to take a bus, I suggest you read about the outrage when GO Transit planned to eliminate the peak-direction Hamilton QEW express buses.

2. Yes.

1. That doesnt mean people want to take a bus. There are many factors, and its been proven time and again that most people who take the bus typically cant afford to own a car, and more people who own a car take the train. The different modes of transportation have different ridership numbers based upon factors that are specific to the very different modes of transportation that they are, from a psychological and marketing perspective. You can't just look at the numbers for one mode and extrapolate it to another.

If you replaced buses on the Lakeshore Line for example and the buses got to their destination as quickly as the trains, cost the same as the trains, and came as frequently as the trains, ridership would drop significantly. "Car people" typically do not like buses. Orangevillians are car people, if you look at the demographics.

As a cyclist, it would be great to have a connecting trail between the Elora-Cataract Trail and the Caledon Trailway, and the ROW between those points would be spectacular.

As a cyclist, it would be great to have a connecting trail between the Elora-Cataract Trail and the Caledon Trailway, and the ROW between those points would be spectacular.

Absolutely. Im not even saying a GO train would be warranted to Orangeville. Knowing the population it most likely wouldnt.

All im saying is you cant take X data and just extrapolate it to Y solution, when there are so many other variables involved.

It sounds ridiculous, but I think it's worth hearing out. Even if it ends up just being a one-off technology that doesn't get picked up anywhere else, it's a neat gimmick that puts the corridor to use to move people. This also might solve the problem of how to connect the line to GO, since if the vehicle was restricted to rail there would probably be a need for a third track from Britannia to Streetsville Station. A bus-train hybrid could leave the track at Derry Road and connect to Meadowvale Station, or at Mississauga Road to make local stops throughout Streetsville, and perhaps even continuing southwards to Dundas Street.

While having the corridor become a GO route or something would be much better, it doesn't look like that's an option right now, and this may be the only way to potentially keep the tracks in place.

You would be better off running DMU'S. You can have a situation like in Ottawa where freight trains don't run at the same time or street cars like in Waterloo.

Why reinvent the wheel? Just put a light weight vehicle that runs on rails and make it easy to transfer. No need for a hybrid rail bus. I will believe it when I see it.

They say their technology can work with the single track, while a standard light rail line will require 2 tracks and maybe the space is just not there.

I agree with the last statement - will believe that when we see it, but on the other hand, why not let them try. It's not like they are overwriting an existing transit plan.

They say their technology can work with the single track, while a standard light rail line will require 2 tracks and maybe the space is just not there.

I agree with the last statement - will believe that when we see it, but on the other hand, why not let them try. It's not like they are overwriting an existing transit plan.
If it's going to be a commuter line most traffic will be north to south in the morning and then the opposite in the afternoon.

Why do you need two tracks ? You could also have the trains meet at the station and build a passing track at the stations which would reduce costs.

If it's going to be a commuter line most traffic will be north to south in the morning and then the opposite in the afternoon.

Why do you need two tracks ? You could also have the trains meet at the station and build a passing track at the stations which would reduce costs.

They only want to run between Mississauga and Brampton, not all the way to Orangeville.

This kind of service needs to be reasonably frequent, in the 5-10 min range at least. Otherwise people will opt for the existing bus routes. If the vehicle needs a siding every 2.5-5 min to bypass another vehicle running the other way, that's a lot of sidings to add. And the desired locations (evenly spaced) may not be always availble in the urban zone.

Using the existing track leading up to Streetsville is probably not an option since the track merges with the existing CP rail before then. Building tracks all the way from the junction to Streetsville would be more expensive than buying these ULRTs. This isn't a maglev, it's a bus with an extra set of metal wheels. We can't keep dismissing potential solutions just because they've never been done in the GTA before.

Back