News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The feds and province didn't just support this phase. They've indicated that they are committed to the entire Ottawa TMP, especially where transit is concerned. This is just half of Phase 1. The other half is the replacement of the O-Train.

And then there's Phase 2. That's when the debate about the Western extension starts.

Phase 1 actually includes an extension all the way to Baseline in the west. (Ref: http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/master_plans/tmp/maps/index_en-06.html)

Great news today for supporters of the DOTT project!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Ontario+approves+environmental+assessment+Ottawa+light+rail+tunnel/3409731/story.html

Ontario approves environmental assessment for Ottawa light-rail tunnel

BY ROBERT SIBLEY, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN AUGUST 17, 2010

OTTAWA — It’s full steam ahead for Ottawa’s LRT, says Mayor Larry O’Brien, following the McGuinty government’s acceptance of the environmental assessment on the multi-billlion dollar transit project.

“Environmental assessment approval is a major milestone for this critical project,†Mayor Larry O’Brien said Tuesday.

In a memo Tuesday afternoon, John Jensen, the city’s director of rail implementation, informed the mayor and council that the provincial environment ministry approved the LRT’s environmental assessment.

The assessment examined the potential impact of a 12-kilometre light-rail transit line from Tunney’s Pasture to Blair Station, including a three-kilometre tunnel through the downtown from LeBreton Flats to the University of Ottawa. The project is estimated to cost $2.1 billion.

Ottawa has secured funding commitments of $1.2 billion from the provincial and federal government. For its part, the city has to raise at least $900 million.

The city submitted its environmental project report to the province in June. The report examined everything from noise and vibration levels to air and water quality. It also considered the preservation of vegetation, wildlife and heritage sites along the route, including the Rideau Canal.

Project proponents were quick to applaud the province’s decision.

“This, combined with $600 million in previously announced provincial funding, and matching support from the federal government, is a strong indication that the city’s light rail vision is on track,†said O’Brien.

The mayor praised city staff and fellow councillors, particularly Counc. Alex Cullen, for their work on fast-tracking the environmental assessment. “He (Cullen) has done a splendid job on the transit.â€

For his part, Cullen, chairman of council’s transit committee, said the province’s endorsement “represents an important step to bringing this project to construction. A rapid rail line through a downtown tunnel is the solution to Ottawa’s transit challenges, and the project’s approval by the province is a significant step forward in making Ottawa’s LRT future a reality.â€

O’Brien, meanwhile, said that with the environmental assessment in hand, along financial commitments from the provincial and federal governments, the city will proceed with obtaining engineering design bids for the rail line, tunnel and stations.

The Tunney’s Pasture-Blair Road project is first phase of a larger, $5.6-billion transit master plan that’s been split into two parts over the next two decades.

The first phase, costing about $3.7 billion, is itself divided into three parts — the $2.1-billion Tunney’s-to-Blair line, which is to be completed by 2018 and operational in 2019; a second phase that includes extending a rail line from Tunney’s Pasture to Baseline Station (assuming there’s money available); and, third, a line from Bayview to South Keys that would replace the existing diesel O-Train with electric rail. These latter two projects are estimated to cost about $1 billion each.

O’Brien expressed confidence the first-phase project will be kept within budget. “I think we’re on pretty solid ground†regarding project costs, he said. “Financing is always an issue but we’ll cut the sui to fit the cloth as we go foward. But as far as I’m concerned this project is a go.â€

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

How's the upcoming mayoral election looking like in Ottawa with this issue in mind?

There seems to be a growing sentiment that the project is 'too costly'. Basically, there's been a smear/fear campaign launched by a few prominent people (editors for the newspapers, some mayoral candidates, etc) that the project will bankrupt the city, and that it's unaffordable (which of course is complete rubbish). It basically breaks down that the city is getting $1.2B from the prov and feds ($600 million each, which if you ask me, considering the amount Toronto is getting from the Province, is a slap in the face), which leaves $900 million to be covered by the city.

What these smear campaigners refuse to see is that while this project may be a hit on the capital budget, it will add an extra $240 million PER YEAR into the city's operating budget ($100 million in operational savings at OC Transpo, $140 million in increased tax revenue as a result of raised land values and intensification around LRT stations). So even if the city has to take out a loan, that $240 million per year would more than make up for the yearly payments on that loan.

But transit is just as much an issue here as it is in Toronto, with the mayor's "Pet Project" being picked apart by opposing candidates. Only difference is, this plan is a planning-motivated plan, not a politically-conceived one. Having said that, I remain hopeful that this project will withstand the election, as the major candidates break down like this:

O'Brien: Current Mayor, strong supporter of the DOTT
Cullen: Current Transit Chair, also a strong supporter of the DOTT
Watson: Former Mayor, Former Prov Cabinet Minister, favours a review of the DOTT, and if it comes in on budget, it's a go. If the final estimates are over what is currently projected, it could be modified or scrapped. To be honest, he worries me, as he has flip-flopped on the issue a little bit. At first he said the tunnel would be too expensive, but seeing public support for the project a few months ago, changed his tune a little bit. I'm worried he's just paying lip service to the DOTT, and will try to modify or rip it apart if he gets elected. He has lost my vote on that point alone.
Doucet: Current Councillor, heavily favoured the old LRT plan (was one of the primary supporters of it), thinks the DOTT is too expensive. He's pretty much the grouchy old man who hates everything council does. He even argues with himself, just to start an argument (he favoured a public design competition for Lansdowne Park, and then when the process was almost over, ridiculed the design competition because it was a waste of taxpayer money). Needless to say, no one expects him to win.

So in short, 2.5/4 ain't bad.

$140 million in increased tax revenue as a result of raised land values and intensification around LRT stations).
Projects do not create development, only shape and displace it. Since Ottawa is a uni-city on the Ontario side, only development that otherwise would have happened in Quebec that instead happens in Ottawa should really be counted as a + on the balance sheet.

$140 million in that case seems rather high.

Projects do not create development, only shape and displace it. Since Ottawa is a uni-city on the Ontario side, only development that otherwise would have happened in Quebec that instead happens in Ottawa should really be counted as a + on the balance sheet.

There is also development that you can win which would not have occurred at all. Business expansion can be directly related to congestion levels.

I do agree that the LRT will not spur $28B in residential growth or $14B in business growth anytime soon. Residential base rate is 0.569744%, commercial base rate is roughly 1.1% through categories.

I'm just quoting the number, haha. And when you factor in the policy of directing higher density growth to areas along the LRT corridor, coupled with the redevelopment (and intensification) of Tunney's Pasture from being just a government centre to including high density residential and non-government commercial offices, that number seems quite feasible.

I needed to post this here because I am getting extremely frustrated with the stupidity of some of these responses: http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/default.aspx

If you think that the subway vs LRT debates here are getting pointless, at least they're actually somewhat intelligent debates. Check out a few of the threads on here, and see what the city is up against (I'm J. Andrew on here btw). Please feel free to chip in as well and give an enlightened opinion. There's increased talk of scrapping the tunnel in favour of an at-grade option that was scrapped 3 years ago because it was considered a bad idea. Yeesh!

Isn't the federal government chipping in a large portion here, why do they care in that case?

Well, quite frankly, I find people who make blanket statements about cost in these circumstances i.e. complain, would care less if it's not directly coming from their pocket books i.e. federal money ... clearly federal money is from your pocket book but in a more diluted sense compared to the provincial level and even more so for the municipal level.

Well, quite frankly, I find people who make blanket statements about cost in these circumstances i.e. complain, would care less if it's not directly coming from their pocket books i.e. federal money ... clearly federal money is from your pocket book but in a more diluted sense compared to the provincial level and even more so for the municipal level.

I guess that's true. What people are complaining about in Ottawa is the remaining $900+ million that will need to be covered by the city. The + is for any cost overruns. The feds and prov have already said that they won't give a dollar over what they've already given. Kind of hypocritical I find that Toronto gets just under $8B of provincial funds for TC, when Ottawa only gets $600 million. Seems like a bit of a double standard if you ask me.

Back