News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

All of which are valid points. Though, I'm sure that Bombardier would be happy to up-sell.

I think I saw someone run an estimate on KW based on a prototype schedule, and it would need 20ish trainsets.

Ottawa taking TO's leftover stock would really be up to the province to impose such a decision. There is no way Ottawa's city council will agree to take on sub-spec vehicles to do Toronto a solid.

I would see it happening one of two ways:
1) Politically: Queens Park brokers a deal with Bombardier and Ottawa to increase the order to cover the Crosstown & Ottawa, where Toronto doesn't get hit with cancellation fees, and Ottawa benefits from a bulk-purchase rate.
2) Capitalistically: Toronto (and/or Queens Park) pays an order-reduction fee. Then, Bombardier takes that cash and uses it to make a very attractive offer to Ottawa. (Ottawa has taken goods of questionable quality for discount before. They replaced their maintenance-hell articulated bus fleet with a newer one from the same company when an order cancellation happened)

Anyhow, I'm not saying this will happen, I'm just giving ideas of how it could happen.

Though, I think it could be pretty cool if Ottawa, Toronto, KW, Mississauga, and Hamilton all got matching LRT vehicles.

You know if Ottawa can't take those LRVs due to the speed issue, maybe Mississauga could use them. I can't remember off-hand how many LRVs the Hurontario LRT required, though I wrote about it somewhere.

You know if Ottawa can't take those LRVs due to the speed issue, maybe Mississauga could use them. I can't remember off-hand how many LRVs the Hurontario LRT required, though I wrote about it somewhere.
No one's provided any funding to build an LRT in Mississauga. Could be 2020s or later by the time it's there. LRVs from this order are supposed to start arriving in 18 months or so.

No one's provided any funding to build an LRT in Mississauga. Could be 2020s or later by the time it's there. LRVs from this order are supposed to start arriving in 18 months or so.

I think that's pessimistic. Just hand over the money and we can start building to have those LRVs in use in 2018 :D

I think that's pessimistic. Just hand over the money and we can start building to have those LRVs in use in 2018 :D
Spend a $billion+ to deal with about 20 LRT cars worth $100 million total? Why would Government of Ontario do that ... why not simple get the contract adjusted, and pay the $10 million penalty. City of Toronto will have to pay 100% of the penalty, so incentive for province to find use for them elsewhere.

Spend a $billion+ to deal with about 20 LRT cars worth $100 million total? Why would Government of Ontario do that ... why not simple get the contract adjusted, and pay the $10 million penalty. City of Toronto will have to pay 100% of the penalty, so incentive for province to find use for them elsewhere.

What you don't approve of the Hurontario LRT?

It's a great idea ... but it won't be operational in 2013 when the LRTs start arriving. It's unlikely to be delivered until the 2020s ... or 2030s if it proceeds at the same rate that the Mississauga transitway was delivered.

The Mississauga Transitway was and is a bad or at least mediocre idea. The Hurontario LRT is vastly more important. I would hope as the highest priority for Mississauga and Brampton it could be completed faster, especially with the available LRVs.

Given the fact the EA for Hurontario LRT has yet to start, has no consultant hired yet, 2.5 year time frame and no funding for the project, what good having LRT's sitting in a field somewhere rusting??

You may see funding approved by 2015, but it will be 2020-25 before the full length of the line is built.

Metrolinx has yet to produce a mockup of the Eglinton LRT cars, as their accessibility will not meet until January 2012 for input and feed back on various designs.

As for the Mississauga Transitway, I said in 2004 it was a mistake going BRT in place of LRT, based on the numbers being used for the EA study. Based on the real numbers after the EA was approved, BRT is the way to go.

As it stands now, the mockup car that was in New Orleans will not becoming to Toronto to be put on display and to get feed back on that layout. Big mistake.

This is getting off-topic, but it might be just enough LRVs for GRT. They're moving ahead, they just purchased land for a storage/maintenance yard in northern Waterloo.

I live smack in one of those 3 areas (Cyrville...at least till I get posted back to the GTA in a year or so), and I have repeatedly complained to my city councillor about the city's approval of lower density housing. My faith in their ability to execute is less than 100%. Cyrville has tremendous potential for TOD. Yet, they actually cancelled mid-rise apartments, then a high-rise condo, and are now building a lower density multiplex ("executive townhomes") right beside the station. When the city approves developments like that, what hope can you hold for real TOD?

Last edited:

Back