News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Your proposal is interesting in a sort of let's see what's possible way, but do we really want to be building expressways through green and pleasant lands in 2012? Did the last 45 years just un-happen? I could go for a couple of strategic traffic tunnels in the core, but not this thanks.

I admit that it does seem pretty strange at first, but let's face it, most of the pleasant land (along the Ottawa River) already has a pseudo-expressway on it already. And if this is combined with an LRT project (which is already facing significant opposition), it'll be more likely that both get built.

The lands that it's running through are pretty dead in terms of any kind of park and pedestrian use. There's a couple bike paths through it, but that's about it. It's far from being prime parkland.

And when compared to widening the 417, which would require the expropriation of countless properties, and cost likely in the billions of dollars, running a new road through underused open space doesn't really seem that bad.

Plus, the main entrance way for tourists by car into Ottawa is via the 416. How nice would it be to have them end at the 417, take that for an exit or two, and then get off directly onto the ORP, so that one of their 1st experiences of Ottawa is a great view of the river, as opposed to a utilitarian expressway? That's one of the things that I love about the DVP: you come around the corner at Spanbridge, and BAM, there's the city. Although using the ORP would be far more calming, haha.

CTV is reporting they will go with some or other model of the Alstom Citadis. The specs for the project were for 100 km/h, so it could be a souped-up tram model or the "Dualis" which is more of a heavy hauler designed for tram-train operation.

Maybe it means it will be coupled vehicles, since they are saying that it will fit 600 people. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow.

The contract is for 2 vehicles? That can't be right.

Maybe 2 vehicles for testing purposes? IIRC they were planning on building the Maintenance and Storage Facility a little bit earlier in the process, so they may want to run some testing there to iron out any kinks with the system.

But yes, tomorrow will be an interesting day for sure. I'm looking forward to going downtown to see the displays and stuff that will be set up for the next couple of weeks. Should provide a lot of insight.

Maybe it means it will be coupled vehicles, since they are saying that it will fit 600 people. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow.

I spent some time digging around on Alstom last evening. They offer (but never seem to have built) vehicles at up to 60 meters, or about 200 feet, which would hold 300 people. A pair of these would hold the 600 persons and fit the 400 foot initial platforms to be built.

About time the Citadis is coming to North America. One of the better LRV's I rode in Europe. The wya I read the article is, Alstom will provide two vehicles as demostrator vehicles for OC Transpo to show off to the public before the line opens.

Last edited:
I admit that it does seem pretty strange at first, but let's face it, most of the pleasant land (along the Ottawa River) already has a pseudo-expressway on it already. And if this is combined with an LRT project (which is already facing significant opposition), it'll be more likely that both get built.

The ORP is nowhere close to being an expressway. Where do you get the idea that lands the ORP runs through is dead? The bike paths are well used, with lots of cyclists, and runners, and I even remember the ORP would close on Sundays, and it being heavily used by pedestrians, and cyclists.
That ORP is actually one great feature of Ottawa that I really miss about living in the city. Taking away space from recreational use just to make drivers commute a little quicker is 1960's thinking.

How do you propose connecting the 417 to the ORP? Using the Transitway?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ORP is nowhere close to being an expressway. Where do you get the idea that lands the ORP runs through is dead? The bike paths are well used, with lots of cyclists, and runners, and I even remember the ORP would close on Sundays, and it being heavily used by pedestrians, and cyclists.
That ORP is actually one great feature of Ottawa that I really miss about living in the city. Taking away space from recreational use just to make drivers commute a little quicker is 1960's thinking.

How do you propose connecting the 417 to the ORP? Using the Transitway?

I don't believe I ever said it was dead. And when you look at the physical characteristics of the ORP, it's very similar to Hunt Club, which is a pretty expressway-like arterial.

And there's no reason why it still can't be shut down on Sundays, in fact I would love that it would still be, along with the Rockliffe and Aviation Parkways.

The area I'm talking about specifically is the area between Carling and the Queensway, which has been left vacant as a ROW, and only has the Transitway cutting through it.

What I'm proposing is that the western LRT extension run in the median of the ORP extension from Carling to the Queensway (there won't be any crossings on that stretch, so in-median isn't an issue when it comes to restricting frequency). This would greatly enhance connectivity to the Parkway for the rest of the west end, and wouldn't have it abruptly end at Carling.

I know the idea of building new roads is frowned upon, but when you build it a) in conjunction with a transit line, which lowers the overall cost for both projects, and b) instead of a massive widening of the Queensway, it certainly becomes a more palatable idea. I'm not talking about widening the existing ORP into a DVP type of thing, I'm just saying extend to roadway to a natural terminus in order to increase its usefulness. The widening of the Queensway would run into the billions, and that's money that could be spent on transit instead. Instead of spending billions, spend a couple hundred million and get the same net increase in road capacity (plus a new transit line at the same time), by more efficiently using existing road infrastructure.

Alstom of France will provide the new Ottawa system with two of its "Citadis" models which will offer a carrying capacity of 600 passengers to start.
Alstom is the same company that will provide trains for the O-train expansion set for next year.
Ah, OC Transpo already have trains coming from Alstrom, so there's advantages to staying with them.

About time the Citadis is coming to North America. One of the better LRV's I rode in Europe. The wya I read the article is, Alstom will provide two vehicles as demostrator vehicles for OC Transpo to show off to the public before the line opens.

TTC would have had 2 cars in Toronto in 2007 for testing as an off the shelf model, meeting most of TTC requirement at no cost. The chairman of TTC would not have it due to the fact they were not from Thunder Bay.

Another reason why Alstom didn't bid on the current fleet.

Back