News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

http://www.ottawalightrail.ca/en/newsroom/2012/report-on-olrt-design-improvement-update

A few new design changes have been introduced to improve service and lower costs. The Bayview station will now be built right over the O-Train, shortening walking distances while apparently still protecting for extension of the O-Train to downtown. The Train station will be built closer to the VIA station. The biggest change is at Rideau, where the station will be shifted from under the canal to under Rideau street between the Rideau Centre and Freiman Mall. There are some downsides to this change, particularly the loss of the station west of the canal near the NAC. The advantages are at least as significant, with much closer proximity to the Byward Market and the eastern part of Rideau Street. They argued that there is much more population concentrated in that area than around Confederation Square, which is quite reasonable. They also want to use the underground passageways of the subway station to eliminate the elevated walkways over Rideau Street. The new location would allow for a shallower station.

Some people have complained about the loss of the station near Elgin Street, and it's not an unreasonable complaint. A fourth station in the downtown core wouldn't be crazy, though the distances still aren't exactly unmanageable. Elgin would be barely two blocks from the Downtown East station. Then again, shifting that stop right to Bank and adding a stop at Elgin could be beneficial. The mayor said that the $40 million cost of an additional station is not affordable. (If only Toronto could build stations in an empty field--let alone in the middle of an urban area under a canal--for less than $100 million!)

While automated light metro would obviously make far more sense and would be cheaper than light rail vehicles, on the whole Ottawa's LRT plan is fantastic. I can't wait for it to be built. On that score, they're receiving design-build proposals from three consortia in July and the final decision will be made in December. The consortia will be offered a lot of leeway to design and build the line as economically as possible. The design stage, in particular, has been where TTC costs have spiraled out of control. The LRT project will be combined with a 417 widening, which will replace the Transitway during construction and should further solidify funding.

Last edited:
Some people have complained about the loss of the station near Elgin Street, and it's not an unreasonable complaint. A fourth station in the downtown core wouldn't be crazy, though the distances still aren't exactly unmanageable. Elgin would be barely two blocks from the Downtown East station. Then again, shifting that stop right to Bank and adding a stop at Elgin could be beneficial. The mayor said that the $40 million cost of an additional station is not affordable. (If only Toronto could build stations in an empty field--let alone in the middle of an urban area under a canal--for less than $100 million!)

While automated light metro would obviously make far more sense and would be cheaper than light rail vehicles, on the whole Ottawa's LRT plan is fantastic. I can't wait for it to be built. On that score, they're receiving design-build proposals from three consortia in July and the final decision will be made in December. The consortia will be offered a lot of leeway to design and build the line as economically as possible. The design stage, in particular, has been where TTC costs have spiraled out of control. The LRT project will be combined with a 417 widening, which will replace the Transitway during construction and should further solidify funding.

I think that they don't need more stations, they just need more entrances to the stations. Particularly, exits extending beyond the ends of the stations.

And I too think that light metro would have been a better choice, but LRT is very much 'in vogue', so I think that's why they went with it. Also, we don't yet know what design elements they will have on the more suburban parts of the line. They could very well be built at-grade, in which LRT would be much more advantageous.

And I too think that light metro would have been a better choice, but LRT is very much 'in vogue', so I think that's why they went with it. Also, we don't yet know what design elements they will have on the more suburban parts of the line. They could very well be built at-grade, in which LRT would be much more advantageous.

they are using the existing transitway, which is entirely grade separated.

they are using the existing transitway, which is entirely grade separated.

But many of the suburban sections of the Transitway (beyond the Greenbelt), don't even really exist. They either run in mixed traffic, or in shoulder lanes on highways. The ROWs are there for a full Transitway, but they haven't been built yet.

The only area outside of the Greenbelt that actually has a full Transitway out to it is Barrhaven.

And even areas of the existing Transitway aren't grade-separated (Iris, LeBreton, the ORP).

But many of the suburban sections of the Transitway (beyond the Greenbelt), don't even really exist. They either run in mixed traffic, or in shoulder lanes on highways. The ROWs are there for a full Transitway, but they haven't been built yet.

The only area outside of the Greenbelt that actually has a full Transitway out to it is Barrhaven.

And even areas of the existing Transitway aren't grade-separated (Iris, LeBreton, the ORP).

this phase is only tunney's to blair though, just saying

this phase is only tunney's to blair though, just saying

I know, but what I'm saying is that they went with LRT because they knew that some of the eventual suburban extensions would be at-grade, and thus would require LRT and not something like ICTS.

In places like Riverside South for example, where an entire part of the community was planned around the original N-S LRT plan being at-grade through the middle of the community. Switching to ICTS would have drastically altered the planned layout of that area.

I used to think that they were planning at-grade sections in the suburbs, but they don't seem to be going with that approach. The western extension currently being planned is going to great lengths to maintain grade separation. It seems like they will build out as far as they can sustain grade separation and then use feeder buses, sort of like Toronto.

Queens Quay station :)

The Sheppard stations too! I mean today.

I used to think that they were planning at-grade sections in the suburbs, but they don't seem to be going with that approach. The western extension currently being planned is going to great lengths to maintain grade separation. It seems like they will build out as far as they can sustain grade separation and then use feeder buses, sort of like Toronto.

I think the approach that they're using is that the trunk of the system (where multiple routes overlap) is going to be completely grade-separated, but the areas further out don't have to be, because of lower frequencies and lower ridership.

But I don't think that the LRT will go beyond the Greenbelt until around 2031. Until then, they are going to upgrade the Transitway sections feeding into the trunk LRT line. I've been following the steps they're taking on the West Transitway, which is probably the Transitway segment that is most segmented (flipping back and forth between using the Queensway and using it's own dedicated roadway). They did the section between Pinecrest and Bayshore a couple years ago, and they're looking at doing Bayshore to Moodie and Lincoln Fields to Pinecrest soon too (not immediately, but in the relatively near future).

But I agree that it looks like they're taking a lot of steps to preserve the grade-separation of the trunk of the network (Lincoln Fields to Blair), because that is where multiple routes will begin to overlap.

On a side note, I use Baseline station every day, and it seems that the underground station is done, but that the connections to it are really slow in coming. Does anyone know what's going on with that, and when the underground station should be open? It won't be as big of a deal in the summer, but that surface station is pretty awful in the winter. They were doing some work just north of Baseline a month or so ago, but it seems to have stopped. Any update would be greatly appreciated.

I really don't like what they did with the Rideau station. They should have used the old train station for the historic value and access to the NAC. They moved the station to save money and are trying to sell it as better access. BS.

Station spacing as planned is huge in the core. It's going to make for longer dwell times at the stations. That has the potential to create congestion and crowding down the road. And then there's gaps. Access to City Hall is terrible. And the thousands of civil servants and military personnel who work at NDHQ will now have long walks from either Campus or Rideau. Ditto for any U of O students taking classes along Laurier (which is where they really could have used a stop...by moving Campus closer to Lees).

City Hall is a 650m walk to Campus station, the corner of Laurier and King Edward is 500m from Campus Stn., DND is 520m from Rideau. The stop spacings are 860m (campus-rideau), 860m (rideau-dt east), 410m (dt e-dt w), 1100m (dt w-lebreton). Thats hardly 'huge'.

By moving Rideau they provide slightly better service to the market neighbourhood, and slightly worse service to a canal. It would have been nice to use the old station, but the govt has not shown any signs that they'd be willing to give up the building.

I really don't like what they did with the Rideau station. They should have used the old train station for the historic value and access to the NAC. They moved the station to save money and are trying to sell it as better access. BS.

Station spacing as planned is huge in the core. It's going to make for longer dwell times at the stations. That has the potential to create congestion and crowding down the road. And then there's gaps. Access to City Hall is terrible. And the thousands of civil servants and military personnel who work at NDHQ will now have long walks from either Campus or Rideau. Ditto for any U of O students taking classes along Laurier (which is where they really could have used a stop...by moving Campus closer to Lees).

There's talk of adding a 4th station downtown, in between Downtown East and Rideau. I'd definitely be in favour of this, although it would require moving the locations of the current stations. If they were to add a 4th station, I'd like to see it redistributed this way:

Lyon Station: Centred at Queen and Lyon.
Bank Station: Centred at Queen and Bank
Metcalfe Station: Centred between Metcalfe and Elgin
Rideau Station: Centred underneath the pedestrian bridge over Rideau St.

The only question is how to pay for it. The number floating around has been $40 million. In fact, just today the owner of the Elgin Hotel offered up $2 million over 10 years to help pay for it: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottawa/6366204/story.html Maybe they can get some private investment from some of the office towers downtown.

So this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but there's been a lot of talk about the Western LRT Extension lately. They released the interim EA last week (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/ci...2012-PAI-PGM-0132 Western LRT Corridor EA.pdf), which recommends further study of 4 routes: 3 using the Richmond-Byron Corridor, and one using the Ottawa River Parkway. No options were Carling Ave made the short list (thankfully). Definitely worth a read.

The exclusion of Carling has definitely got the ire of a few people, and the NIMBYs are starting to come out against Richmond-Byron. It should definitely make for an interesting summer.

I've also personally done some work thinking about how the Western LRT Extension can be incorporated into an extension of the Ottawa River Parkway to the Queensway or Baseline Road, as a less expensive way of increasing downtown-bound road capacity without breaking the bank by widening the Queensway.

I've put together a short report if you would like to have a look. I'm planning on sending it to the City at some point. I realize that the NCC may not like this very much, but given the penny pinching that will happen/needs to happen, this may become a good option.

http://www2.andrew.thejohnsonclan.ca/OttawaRiverParkwayExtension.pdf

Your proposal is interesting in a sort of let's see what's possible way, but do we really want to be building expressways through green and pleasant lands in 2012? Did the last 45 years just un-happen? I could go for a couple of strategic traffic tunnels in the core, but not this thanks.

Back