News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ottawa got it right with this plan. When construction starts on the transit tunnel it is going to be very exciting to see. A proper transit system (not that the Transitway was bad, but it has just become terrible inadequate for the city) will really allow Ottawa to develop in a way that will bring out the urban character of the city. There is already a lot of positive urban development in the city and LRT should only increase this trend.

Just as interesting, to me at least, have been all the developments that have/are/will be taking place on the Transitway network in the past few years. A lot of these (such as a new Baseline station, Transitway into Bayshore, incomplete sections between the Queensway station and into Kanata) will all help make extensions much faster when the time comes. They are all being built with LRT conversion in mind and by the time the first major phase is done many of the lines extensions into Kanata and Barrhaven will almost be as simple as replacing roadway with rail lines. Smart planning on their part.

The only hitch in the plan is the section from Westboro to Lincoln Fields now that the NCC has nixed the idea of using the parkway from LRT lines. Better in the long run because it will bring the line through an urban neighbourhood (probably via Richmond road most of the way) instead of along the edge. Short run it does mean added cost but probably nothing that will slow the project too terribly, especially once momentum gets underway during construction.

Last edited:
If it starts. With the election this year, the tradition is for the incoming council to cancel everything, and start planning something else instead.

If it starts. With the election this year, the tradition is for the incoming council to cancel everything, and start planning something else instead.

I would be really surprised if it didn't. If you compare public response to this plan versus others in the past its night and day. Before you had half a dozen competing visions and an official plan that was really inadequate, which is why it was killed. Though there are always some people who have something negative to say, most people agree its a good plan and want to see it go forward.

The biggest reason it will go ahead is because, as anyone who has used the Transitway downtown during rush hour knows, is that the system can't expand and delays are getting longer during rush hour through the downtown area. Its something everyone can clearly see (literally...the line up of buses...especially when there are accidents or bad weather....is incredible).

Last edited:
What has always bothered me about this plan is that it ignores the high density residential areas of centretown. It will feed the suburban workers to the offices which is good, but it leaves the best areas for future high density development out. It's a good short term solution but without a north south route the city may suffer in the future from even more sprawl. Not to to mention these are the people most likely not to own cars.

Would something like the transitway work in Toronto? I mean if you don't have to worry about traffic lights, it seems like you could get from one end of the city to the other in no time.

What has always bothered me about this plan is that it ignores the high density residential areas of centretown. It will feed the suburban workers to the offices which is good, but it leaves the best areas for future high density development out. It's a good short term solution but without a north south route the city may suffer in the future from even more sprawl. Not to to mention these are the people most likely not to own cars.
A Bank Street subway (or underground LRT) makes a lot of sense, going through Centretown, the Glebe, and Old Ottawa South. I can see why they're upgrading the Transitway first, but I'd definitely include Bank Street in the plan.

A Bank Street subway (or underground LRT) makes a lot of sense, going through Centretown, the Glebe, and Old Ottawa South. I can see why they're upgrading the Transitway first, but I'd definitely include Bank Street in the plan.

Somehow I suspect Glebites and Ottawa Southians would be up in arms over such an idea. I am not sure if that is the first place I would consider for a subway though. My own guess is that the first subway in Ottawa (which I think is probably 20 years off) will be a loop between Ottawa and Hull connecting the federal zones.

Outside of LRT I think the next transit plan Ottawa should focus on is commuter rail and better connections with Gatineau. There are a couple of proposals from communities in the east (Casselman and Alexandria) as well as in the west (Arnprior/Shawville/Pembroke as well as Smiths Falls). Once they start doing the EA for the existing O-Train line upgrade these proposals will be more seriously considered since that line could potentially be important in future plans for a commuter rail network.

I agree because the bridges to gatineau have been a congested mess for some time now. It would have been great to get the otrain extension across the river that was originally planned.

I agree because the bridges to gatineau have been a congested mess for some time now. It would have been great to get the otrain extension across the river that was originally planned.

I totally agree. Connections with Gatineau are a total mess. That being said, I'm kind of glad they didn't expand the line into Hull because that would only make it harder to shut down the line for upgrades when that time comes.

It will be interesting what happens to that line when the time comes to upgrade it. On one hand Ottawa could interline it with the downtown line at Bayview and make it an LRT line. On the other hand, they could keep it as a heavy rail line and skip interlining, simply sending trains over the bridge. The second option is not that far fetched since Gatineau's plans for the rail line on the Quebec side involve it becoming a commuter line with Talents as opposed to an LRT line (though these plans could easily change admittingly).

Both have their advantages. I know my preference is to keep it for heavy rail use but we will see what happens.

Ottawa, closer than ever to replacing Bus Rapid Transit with Light Rail

Ottawa, Closer than Ever to Replacing Bus Rapid Transit with Light Rail
by Yonah Freemark
May 17th, 2010

Njhj4.jpg

» Could the Ottawa model of instituting bus rapid transit, then converting to light rail, inspire other cities?

There was a time, a few years back, when talk of building bus rapid transit as a cheap precursor to train service was common. The theory was that cities could invest in new rights-of-way for rapid transit and design guideways specifically for future light rail implementation, but only fork up enough dough to pay for the buses.

After its voters agreed in 2003 to fund a series of new rail lines, Houston’s elected officials realized by 2007 that they wouldn’t be able to do so without a federal commitment — but they weren’t able to get help because of obstacles put in the way by Congressional Republicans representing the city’s suburbs. And so the city turned to buses, deciding to install BRT along its most promising corridors.

Though it was a second-choice solution, Houston — like many other American cities — may have looked to Ottawa as a model for BRT implementation. Canada’s capital has become a gold standard for bus advocates, who point to the region’s 240,000 daily bus riders and 23% transit share as proof that buses can work just as well as rail in encouraging people to choose public transportation to get to and from work. Ottawa’s several busways transport passengers quickly and relatively comfortably. Unlike most “BRT†lines in North America, this city’s are mostly grade-separated, producing actually high-speed buses.

But now Ottawa is planning to give up its primary transitway. Houston eventually got its act together on the federal level and has turned back to light rail, forgetting the bus plans entirely. Is the Ottawa model — raise ridership with buses, and then think about more expensive rail options — falling flat? What went wrong?

The quick answer is that Ottawa was too successful, encouraging the city’s citizens to take an average of 125 trips by public transportation a year, more than any equivalently-sized North American city. The transitway has so many riders that it puts 2,600 daily buses onto two downtown streets, and by 2018, the system will have literally no more capacity. By 2030, Ottawa would have to get a bus downtown every eighteen seconds to accommodate all of its riders — an impossible feat.

Thus for several years, the city has been considering light rail as a replacement; a 2006 plan fell apart because it would have done nothing to increase capacity and decrease commute times as it would have relied on street-running downtown. So Mayor Larry O’Brien and his staff have concocted what is now a C$2.1 billion project to run light rail in a three-kilometer tunnel under downtown. The remainder of the 12.5-kilometer corridor would run from Tunney’s Pasture to Blair Station along the existing transitway, completely displacing the bus service that’s currently there. The 13-station system will be designed for very high capacity, up to 25,000 riders per direction during the peak hour (up from 10,000 today), thanks to platforms long enough to handle six-car trains and even platform screen doors in the underground stations.

The general plan for a downtown tunnel was approved last May by the city’s council, and light rail was signed off as the technology in November. It has received a C$600 million promise from Ontario province and is likely to receive a similar guarantee from the federal government later this year. The project could begin construction in 2013 and open by 2018 — as long as opponents of the rail line don’t take the mayoral seat in this fall’s election.

Though the existing bus transitway is already in place, light rail construction will be expensive, notably because of the tunnel, which will cost C$735 million by itself. Even if bus service had been chosen as the preferred technology, this expense would have been required. But the C$540 million cost to convert the remaining ten kilometers of right-of-way is more surprising; much of that will go towards the big new stations along the line, with the rest to pay for tracks and electrification. Vehicles and a new maintenance facility will cost C$515 million.

With expenses like that — practically equivalent to building a new rail line from scratch — one wonders whether there was ever any fiscal advantage to using buses first along the rapidway. Did the city lose out by not choosing rail when the transitway first opened in 1983?

In terms of operations costs, it almost certainly did. Even with a nine percent increase in ridership in the first year alone, light rail is expected to allow the city to save up to C$100 million annually on bus drivers’ salaries, gas consumption, and right-of-way maintenance. By dramatically increasing the average number of passengers per vehicle thanks to long trains and by switching to clean and cheap electricity from diesel fuel, the city will find notable economies in rail. It will also produce far fewer greenhouse gases — saving 38,000 tons by 2031.

For passengers, though, the conversion to light rail means mixed outcomes. The downtown tunnel will decrease trip times by fifteen minutes, principally by avoiding the congestion currently resulting from bus bunching. But the direct service now offered to many parts of the city will be lost, as many passengers coming from areas not immediately adjacent to the rail stations will be shuttled via bus to the stops, where they will have to transfer to get downtown. This will result in roughly 40% of Ottawa’s transit trips using the rail line.

During rail line construction, bus service will be seriously affected.

Had buses been retained on the transitway and been sent through the tunnel, it would have required a far more extensive tunnel because of ventilation concerns — or it would have necessitated the electrification of the bus fleet, not necessarily a cheap choice either. So Ottawa had basically no choice but to switch to rail.

If the city gets its way, and finds the money, direct service will be extended; light rail will replace the 10,000 daily-rider DMU O-Train as well as a number of the other current transitway routes. A light rail loop across the river into Gatineau, Québec is also being discussed. With the downtown tunnel built, capacity won’t be a problem.

But the underlying question about whether the city should have invested in BRT in the first place twenty-seven years ago returns. Though Ottawa was much smaller then, it was larger than Edmonton, which had installed a modern light rail line in 1978 — including a downtown tunnel. If Ottawa’s politicians had known then that they would have to spend billions converting to rail just to keep up with capacity needs, would they have selected bus service?

For other cities considering investing in reserved-bus corridors before light rail, Ottawa’s may be a cautionary tale. Savings in the short term may ultimately result in far greater expenses — especially when factoring in the high cost of bus operations.

"For other cities considering investing in reserved-bus corridors before light rail, Ottawa’s may be a cautionary tale. Savings in the short term may ultimately result in far greater expenses — especially when factoring in the high cost of bus operations."

I can only imagine the system Ottawa would have had, if the city built LRT instead.

Overall, I'm very much in favour of this plan. Outside of the downtown, the BRT system works very well. It is only on the central portion where multiple routes overlap that capacity is an issue. Assuming that the BRT-LRT transfer points are engineering and timed properly at Blair and Tunney's Pasture, this plan should be a significant improvement. I have no quams with this sort of LRT whatsoever.

And I don't consider the BRT model in Ottawa to be a failure. The system worked exactly as it was supposed to, in fact, better than it was supposed to. Having high ridership and needing to upgrade is not a reason to consider it a failure. The goal is usually to increase transit ridership, and Ottawa accomplished that in spades, which is why it now needs more capacity.

Everyone knows that once you secure a ROW for BRT it is a lot easier to convert it to LRT in the future as demand for the service grows. Without BRT there in place first, public transit use in Ottawa wouldn't have become so popular and is exemplar of what first-class BRT can look like. The chicken comes before the egg, remember that.

Somehow I suspect Glebites and Ottawa Southians would be up in arms over such an idea. I am not sure if that is the first place I would consider for a subway though. My own guess is that the first subway in Ottawa (which I think is probably 20 years off) will be a loop between Ottawa and Hull connecting the federal zones.
I know how NIMBY Glebe residents can be. But that doesn't make a Bank St LRT any less viable, it's the main north-south spine through the city. Another corridor that could use a line at some point in the future is Rideau St/Montreal Road, and yes an Ottawa-Gatineau loop for sure. It's too bad there wasn't a cost effective way to build the transitway through the dense neighbourhoods instead of around them when it was first built.

Everyone knows that once you secure a ROW for BRT it is a lot easier to convert it to LRT in the future as demand for the service grows. Without BRT there in place first, public transit use in Ottawa wouldn't have become so popular and is exemplar of what first-class BRT can look like. The chicken comes before the egg, remember that.

And because the system was built as grade-separated from Day 1 (well, the vast majority of the system), the upgrade to LRT results in an LRT system that is closer to the subway end of the LRT spectrum than the streetcar end (as Transit City is).

However, I don't see why they're rebuilding the stations, given that they're already a pretty decent size, and have platforms that are long enough for LRT already. I'm sure there's a reason though, I just don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Back