News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Confederation Line tunnel is extremely shallow. Where this incident happened, the roof of the tunnel is only five metres below the street. Normally, tunnels that shallow (like the original Yonge subway) are dug cut and cover. Ottawa is able to dig a shallow bored tunnel only because of its unusual geology (bedrock right below the surface) and even then it creates problem as this incident demonstrates.

A DRL would almost certainly be much deeper, as a bored tunnel in Toronto's geology would have to be deep. Ergo, it would avoid this problem of bumping into parking garages.

The Confederation Line tunnel is extremely shallow. Where this incident happened, the roof of the tunnel is only five metres below the street. Normally, tunnels that shallow (like the original Yonge subway) are dug cut and cover. Ottawa is able to dig a shallow bored tunnel only because of its unusual geology (bedrock right below the surface) and even then it creates problem as this incident demonstrates.

A DRL would almost certainly be much deeper, as a bored tunnel in Toronto's geology would have to be deep. Ergo, it would avoid this problem of bumping into parking garages.

That's true. But the DRL station boxes would likely have to deal with something like this. In addition, the multiple underground connections in Downtown Toronto (PATH, etc) would need to be carefully navigated.

But yes, suffice to say digging in a highly urban environment is much more challenging than the average Joe makes it out to be.

Hurdman Station construction begins later this month. That was not supposed to start until February.

http://www.confederationline.ca/en/construction/notice-of-activity-hurdman-station/

Very interesting! The announcement of 50% of the running tunnel being completed a couple weeks ago was welcome news too. I tweeted Jim Watson a while back in response to a tweet he posted about the LRT:

Me: Based on "Looking Ahead 2014" it seems like the LRT is ahead of the original schedule. Will this change the completion date?

Him: If it does great, but still aiming for early 2018.

It does seem like they're being cautious about moving the completion date up, but every indication seems to point to an early completion date, if this pace keeps up.

The widening of the 417 (Related project where temporary bus lanes will be placed during construction) has continued. Saturday's picture of the Lees Overpass being replaced over the weekend.

The overpass is planned to be opened next week and the 417 is open in both directions as of sunday morning.

Got a lucky nice view!
IMG_0183.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 481
Looks like the "O-Train" moniker will take over the whole LRT system.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o-train-proposed-as-name-for-entire-ottawa-lrt-system-1.2762984

O-Train proposed as name for entire Ottawa LRT system

Ottawa's transit commission will consider next week whether to rename the city's entire light rail system — and not just the north-south track — as "The O-Train."

Under the proposed name change, the current O-Train line from Bayview to Greenboro would become the "Trillium Line."

"O Train" title for Ottawa LRT system? Yes-good idea!

M and Everyone: I think that this is a good idea-naming Ottawa's rail transit routes the "O Train" system and naming each
route - the Trillium Line sounds interesting...

What I find interesting about this proposal is that a unique name such as the Confederation Line will be used and not color
names...I have no problem with color coding a route on maps and signs but when you change a name of a established route
as what was done in Chicago by the CTA that is where I have a problem with it...Toronto's addition of numbers to the TTC
Subway routes is a better move then re-naming the Yonge-University-Spadina Line the Yellow Line...

LI MIKE

I like the new naming scheme, although I on the maps I have been making I've always used names that have been locally significant or reflect words associated with national government. Having words that are bilingual help too. Some examples:

Confederation Line (I like that one, and I'm glad they picked it), Bytown Line (historic name for Ottawa), Rideau Line (main N-S river, always what I've called the N-S line), Portage Line, Dominion Line, Voyageur Line.

I do have to say though, the Trillium line works too, especially if Ottawa adopts a lettering system similar to NYC, because then the T will also be geographically accurate,with the line coming to a T at Bayview and all.

Lees Ave Rapid Bridge Replacement Timelapse

[video=youtube;913W-vkgp8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=913W-vkgp8E[/video]

Mayor Jim Watson was just re-elected with a massive majority--winning a whopping 74% of the vote beating the second place challenger Mike Maguire 4-to-1. Maguire campaigned on scrapping Phase 2 of the Confederation Line, and Watson made rapid transit expansion the centerpiece of his platform.

This is the second proof, after Hudak's flip-flop fiasco on Ottawa transit funding, that Ottawa voters are determined to get rapid transit and will be very harsh on anyone who doesn't support it. This bodes very well for extracting federal funding out of Harper for Phase 2.

Mayor Jim Watson was just re-elected with a massive majority--winning a whopping 74% of the vote beating the second place challenger Mike Maguire 4-to-1. Maguire campaigned on scrapping Phase 2 of the Confederation Line, and Watson made rapid transit expansion the centerpiece of his platform.

This is the second proof, after Hudak's flip-flop fiasco on Ottawa transit funding, that Ottawa voters are determined to get rapid transit and will be very harsh on anyone who doesn't support it. This bodes very well for extracting federal funding out of Harper for Phase 2.

Agreed! Looks like Phase 2 has a pretty strong mandate. And to make things even better, by the time the 2018 election rolls around Phase 1 of the Confederation Line will be up and running, so people will definitely be clamouring for more.

And I'd hope that it would be Trudeau the City asks for funding, not Harper :p. The ask will probably come during the Federal election, with it being formalized after. Asking during the election, like Ottawa did to the Province this year, is a great way to pin a party's nuts to the wall if they dare say no to a project that the majority of the people in that area want. Just look at how it tanked Hudak in Ottawa.

Update: The mining teams from the West Portal and Central Shaft are almost at the punch through point, expected to happen sometime in the coming weeks. They're mining opposite ends of Lyon Station.

http://www.confederationline.ca/en/construction/construction-summary-52/

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this type of work can answer this for me: Why did they have the Central Shaft team start mining west instead of mining east? Seems like the Central team started mining Parliament Station and then stopped, turned around, and started with Lyon Station instead. What's the reason for that? You can see it on the Roadheader page here: http://www.confederationline.ca/en/the-build/downtown-tunnel/roadheaders/

Is the idea that if the West Portal team has access to the Central Shaft's excavation area, that one team can mine the drifts of Parliament Station while the other team continues on eastward to mine the run between Parliament and Rideau? That's the only logical explanation that I can come up with, but my knowledge or Roadheader operation is pretty limited, haha.

Back