40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

urbottawa

Member Bio
Reaction score
image.png
image.png

I'm totally OK with the final result of this project. I find that 1960 Scott brings the whole neighbourhood down, though. It's a real blight on the Westboro landscape. I hope it gets completely lost in the Westboro Skyline over the next few years.

When the sun’s out this one looks quite nice, as the photos higher up show. There’s a bright blue tint to the windows that really pops next to the white panelling.

I can see this from home peeking above the other houses. From the south it's "alright" that north view has way more glass and looks nicer.

From ground level at Scott this does look nice though. Surprisingly the long laying down tower on McRae turned out fine as well.

Podium looks great. Tower looks good. They don't go together though. Overall, happy with how it turned out.

Metropole retains its supremacy.

Podium looks great. Tower looks good. They don't go together though. Overall, happy with how it turned out.

Metropole retains its supremacy.
The only chance of Metropole losing...'pole position' in Westboro... is if the Granite Curling Club lot gets developed as planned, with very little Ottawafication to it's design.

Reasonably handsome tower. I guess the beige brick podium is an effort to make a human scale street level interaction, with the white tower floating up above. I'm alright with that. The black as night low rise component is absolutely horrible though, in my opinion.

DJI_0408-HDR.jpg
DJI_0405-HDR.jpg

Reasonably handsome tower. I guess the beige brick podium is an effort to make a human scale street level interaction, with the white tower floating up above. I'm alright with that. The black as night low rise component is absolutely horrible though, in my opinion.

View attachment 539283View attachment 539282
Man Harley, these are beautiful shots of our city skyline that's growing. Keep it up. I can't wait to see more pics like this once our more ambitious projects start finally going up.

Wish they would have stuck with the buff brick, or red brick, or even the tower's white cladding, for the low-rise side-scrapper.

View attachment 539283View attachment 539282
If you go to the farm boy and look out at the low rise it is fine on its own. But it is really jarring with it being attached to the tower and there being no cohesiveness.

We face this every time we walk up to Richmond and it is really looking good. And it doesn't look Char-white at all.

The wind tunnel effect was really noticeable last week with the bitter cold and the wind from the south-east, making for ice cream headaches while walking up to Richmond.

I know some people don't like the different lower level brick colours but they don't feel as awful when you are on the ground and they differentiate the two parts of the property (town homes vs podium).

What we wait for is whether or not the retail will add life to Scott. The Farmboy, + Bridgehead on McCrae is pretty good (especially the tables outside Farmboy). Natural Food Pantry in 1960 Scott is fine but yet another dentist has taken over the remainder of that retail. So it feels dead as we walk past there (I had hopes for a bakery or something similar with seating outside.)

The Richmond Canyon retail hasn't improved in the 10 years we've been here. I'm hoping Scott Street retail isn't as dead. It is up to the building managements to set cheap rents to create retail amenities for their residents and the locals who will be walking by all the time.

We face this every time we walk up to Richmond and it is really looking good. And it doesn't look Char-white at all.

The wind tunnel effect was really noticeable last week with the bitter cold and the wind from the south-east, making for ice cream headaches while walking up to Richmond.

I know some people don't like the different lower level brick colours but they don't feel as awful when you are on the ground and they differentiate the two parts of the property (town homes vs podium).

What we wait for is whether or not the retail will add life to Scott. The Farmboy, + Bridgehead on McCrae is pretty good (especially the tables outside Farmboy). Natural Food Pantry in 1960 Scott is fine but yet another dentist has taken over the remainder of that retail. So it feels dead as we walk past there (I had hopes for a bakery or something similar with seating outside.)

The Richmond Canyon retail hasn't improved in the 10 years we've been here. I'm hoping Scott Street retail isn't as dead. It is up to the building managements to set cheap rents to create retail amenities for their residents and the locals who will be walking by all the time.
Great anecdotes, as always Sue! Welcome to Skyrise Ottawa!

Back