News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yeah. Among other things, they didn't heat the rails during installation; Metrolinx warms them to 38C for installation. TTC above-ground sections in direct sunlight are short enough it rarely matters. Ottawa LRT is almost entirely in direct sunlight.

Ottawa can probably mitigate the heat issues by simply painting the track sides white which is done in parts of Britain but redoing the track installation with the Metrolinx process would fix it.
This isn't fully applicable in Ottawa. Heating the track as Metrolinx does allows the rails to be operable in a -20 to +40 degree range, but Ottawa still regularly has days below -20 in the winter and needs to stay in the more typical range of -30 to +30 to avoid cracks in the rail. In reality, Ottawa actually has a fairly extreme climate (in terms of temperature swing between seasons).

They did experiment with painting the tracks last summer though.

oh dear. More than the Eglinton Crosstown, they really should have built a light metro instead. Too late now!
Up until the Via Rail/OC Transpo crash, the plan really was to run it as an on-street LRT in the outer suburbs (i.e. the Barrhaven transitway would have just become an LRT right of way with at-grade crossings, including the VIA tracks), which would have made the extensions cheaper and possibly provided more branching options. The crash changed the plans for that, but the contract making it an LRT had already been signed just a few months prior, and as such it stayed as an LRT despite the new plans for full grade separation.

Although I totally agree they should have just planned to build a light metro all along, but politicians love to try and cut costs on transit (because they only use it for photo-ops, and don't care at all about the people who need to use it every day), unfortunately.

This has been the case since opening day. The platform camera systems are not yet working reliably enough.

Extending the existing platform, and adding a second one on the east.
I was there on opening day and don't recall seeing this whistle blowing.

If the camera not working correctly by now, someone needs to look for another job and the company refunding the cost.

I was there on opening day and don't recall seeing this whistle blowing.

If the camera not working correctly by now, someone needs to look for another job and the company refunding the cost.
They've definitely been there since opening day. (See: Reece's video from that day, you can see the whistle-blower at the end of the platform) although at the time I believe they were also trying to use some sort of remote-controlled light that was mounted in the cabs, rather than a whistle.

They "work" it's just a question of reliability. At one point they did announce that they would no longer require the people blowing the whistles, but then on that same day they encountered issues with the camera system. As of now, the last update we got was that the latest changes to the system are awaiting certification. In the meantime, RTG is paying for these people to blow the whistles, so that's about as close as we'll get to a "refund".

This is why Toronto got its light rail vehicles early. They want to test, test, and more testing. They haven't sent the Eglinton light rail vehicles at full speed along the full tracks and for an extended time, yet.

This is why Toronto got its light rail vehicles early. They want to test, test, and more testing. They haven't sent the Eglinton light rail vehicles at full speed along the full tracks and for an extended time, yet.
How close to the opening did the Ottawa LRVs arrive?

They were assembled at the maintenance facility and I recall vehicle testing started once the eastern section between Blair and Belfast Stations was ready. I seem to remember it being quite some time after before the full line opened for service, but the exact timeframe escapes me.

Back