News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One of my neighbours asked the City's PATH Manager about this diagonal PATH on the map and received the following response: "The owner of Maple Leaf Square has requested the city to show the PATH route as a diagonal across the square as their building contains the PATH network at street level and on the 2nd floor. They want the pedestrians to use both of their entrances. The PATH map is meant to be conceptual and not the exact route."

Ah! I appreciate finding this. I'd been guessing it was a layout glitch ... and yet hoping to someday find an actual underground passage.

Just north of there, a line appears to indicate an underground walkway from Union Station to the Royal York Hotel, distinct from the subway connection. I thought the existing tunnel was closed indefinitely...?

Ah! I appreciate finding this. I'd been guessing it was a layout glitch ... and yet hoping to someday find an actual underground passage.

Just north of there, a line appears to indicate an underground walkway from Union Station to the Royal York Hotel, distinct from the subway connection. I thought the existing tunnel was closed indefinitely...?
I think the Union to Royal York tunnel is there and will reopen again once the Union work finishes off. I suspect this was the first part of the pedestrian tunnel system that, eventually, became PATH. as the RY was a CPR hotel.

The first part of the tunnel system was the link between the Eaton's main store and the Eaton's Annex, which today still links the mall to Bell Trinity.

Yes.

just noticed the updated PATH network map got rid of the imaginary diagonal connection from ACC to Maple Leaf Square towers which was actually an outdoor connection. Forum users complained but were told they included it due to the owner of the towers interests with that tower having a first and second floor connection even though u need be outdoors for first floor connection

just noticed the updated PATH network map got rid of the imaginary diagonal connection from ACC to Maple Leaf Square towers which was actually an outdoor connection. Forum users complained but were told they included it due to the owner of the towers interests with that tower having a first and second floor connection even though u need be outdoors for first floor connection

Perhaps the new elevator that was installed has made the second floor connection an accessible connection now?

The Toronto Financial District BIA is working with key stakeholders including the City of Toronto, downtown BIAs, our area businesses and leading transport consultancy firm Steer Davies Gleave to develop a conceptual design for an improved PATH map and navigation system.

No other city in the world has a network of climate controlled pedestrian walkways connecting as wide a range of destinations as Toronto’s PATH. More than 75 buildings are connected and 200,000 people use the PATH to get around during the work week. With more than 1200 retailers in the PATH and direct links to key transit hubs, the PATH is equipped to assist more than downtown workers.

The PATH has outgrown its wayfinding and signage. An update is critical to ensure it continues to be accessible, safe and well utilized by a growing number of stakeholders.

Please fill out the survey at: http://fluidsurveys.com/s/PATH360/

I also wrote this on the survey, but personally I don't see why they can't use the same standard as the new wayfinding pilot for above ground streets. It would have to be tweaked to work underground but it seems more practical and cost effective than coming up with a completely different system.

I also wrote this on the survey, but personally I don't see why they can't use the same standard as the new wayfinding pilot for above ground streets. It would have to be tweaked to work underground but it seems more practical and cost effective than coming up with a completely different system.
I also did this (and sent them a separate email), it seems very silly to have multiple wayfinding 'conventions' in Toronto.

I wonder why they don't include the underground walkways at College Park and Bloor. They're pretty significant systems in their own rights and connected to the PATH through the subway. I would imagine that the hospitals on University Avenue and the provincial office buildings near Queens Park would be pretty interconnected too. The PATH really is only a part of Toronto's underground system. Montreal includes discontinuous parts of its underground city, notably around Berri-UQAM station. Their wayfinding map is a lot better too.

I wonder why they don't include the underground walkways at College Park and Bloor. They're pretty significant systems in their own rights and connected to the PATH through the subway. I would imagine that the hospitals on University Avenue and the provincial office buildings near Queens Park would be pretty interconnected too. The PATH really is only a part of Toronto's underground system. Montreal includes discontinuous parts of its underground city, notably around Berri-UQAM station. Their wayfinding map is a lot better too.

I think the hospital row does not want their underground connections publicized maybe?

But I definitely agree, that the connections around Bloor should be included as part of the PATH network map.

College Park is included, but I don't know why Bloor is not. Any suggestions?

The hospitals and the Province may have their own reasons for keeping the University Avenue cluster and provincial buildings outside of the PATH.

The PATH map does not include Bloor because as one expands the area covered in a map, the scale has to reduce, and either legibility or detail is lost. That is, unless the map itself expands, which is not always possible in a map's various applications.

The extension to College happened because it is a lot closer to the established network, and the possibility of bridging the gap in the coming years became a possibility. Bloor is a whole other kettle of fish, distance-wise. What might make more sense on the PATH map would be to list other subway stations where there are climate-controlled connections to shopping, offices, residential suites, etc.

Reactions: DSC

Back