News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think the hospital row does not want their underground connections publicized maybe?

But I definitely agree, that the connections around Bloor should be included as part of the PATH network map.

Re: Hospital Row tunnels - they are not designed for used by the general public. The longest one from MSH to TGH across University Ave. is crudely finished and barely wide enough for two wheeled stretchers/beds to pass side by side (if that). Having said, I had brought up the idea of having a quasi-public PATH like system as part of a consolidated access/public realm plan for the district.

AoD

The PATH map does not include Bloor because as one expands the area covered in a map, the scale has to reduce, and either legibility or detail is lost. That is, unless the map itself expands, which is not always possible in a map's various applications.

The extension to College happened because it is a lot closer to the established network, and the possibility of bridging the gap in the coming years became a possibility. Bloor is a whole other kettle of fish, distance-wise. What might make more sense on the PATH map would be to list other subway stations where there are climate-controlled connections to shopping, offices, residential suites, etc.

Perhaps we should differentiate the PATH network. "The PATH at Bloor", "The PATH at Eglinton", "The PATH at NYCC".

Perhaps we should differentiate the PATH network. "The PATH at Bloor", "The PATH at Eglinton", "The PATH at NYCC".
I think that the City only deals with the "real PATH" (downtown). I also think there is an " unofficial BIA " of the downtown PATH folk to deal with merchants' concerns.

See:

PATH history
  • The first underground path in Toronto originated in 1900 when the T Eaton Co. joined its main store at 178 Yonge St. and its bargain annex by tunnels. By 1917 there were five tunnels in the downtown core. With the opening of Union Station in 1927, an underground tunnel was built to connect it to the Royal York Hotel (now known as the Fairmont Royal York). The real growth of PATH began in the 1970s when a tunnel was built to connect the Richmond-Adelaide and Sheraton Centres.
  • In 1987, City Council adopted the recommendation that the City become the co-ordinating agency of PATH and pay for the system-wide costs of designing a signage program.
  • In 1988, design firms Gottschalk, Ash International, and Keith Muller Ltd. were retained in by the City of Toronto to apply the design concept for PATH.
  • PATH's name and logo are registered to the City of Toronto. The City co-ordinates and facilitates the directional signage, maps and identity markers throughout the system.
  • Each segment of the walkway system is owned and controlled by the owner of the property through which it runs. There are about 35 corporations involved.
  • In the early 1990s, signage for PATH was developed to provide pedestrians with better ease of use and functionality. The signage enhances PATH's visibility and identity, ultimately increasing its use, attracting more people to downtown Toronto, and drawing more businesses there.
From: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=04708b7a29891410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

College Park is included, but I don't know why Bloor is not. Any suggestions?

The hospitals and the Province may have their own reasons for keeping the University Avenue cluster and provincial buildings outside of the PATH.
I didn't realize that College Park was included. I see that MaRS is included too. Good to see.

The PATH map does not include Bloor because as one expands the area covered in a map, the scale has to reduce, and either legibility or detail is lost. That is, unless the map itself expands, which is not always possible in a map's various applications.

The extension to College happened because it is a lot closer to the established network, and the possibility of bridging the gap in the coming years became a possibility. Bloor is a whole other kettle of fish, distance-wise. What might make more sense on the PATH map would be to list other subway stations where there are climate-controlled connections to shopping, offices, residential suites, etc.

In Montreal the system goes from Guy-Concordia station in the west to Place Dupuis in the east, a distance of 2.7 km. In Toronto the distance from Front to Bloor is 3.3 km, so not much different. Their map is very easy to figure out and it gives you a greater sense of where in the downtown area it goes than the PATH map. PATH could have a map like this one and extend to Bloor.

and the provincial office buildings near Queens Park would be pretty interconnected too. The PATH really is only a part of Toronto's underground system.
This section is only open between 8am and 6pm, and OPP officers who guard the Queens Park Station entrance will check IDs when there are political demonstrations (which is pretty often). It definitely shouldn't be part of the PATH map for these reasons.

Hmmm. Take BMO Way to BMO Path south to TD Pathway to get to Royal Crescent to get to Union Station. Might work.

Keenan repeats the official bullshit that the PATH is a 30 km-long network. Guinness has bought the number too, so disputing it is beyond useless, but still, the 30 km claim is ridiculous. Some blogger in town figured it out at somewhere close to half that length, but I can't find that right now. Anyone know offhand who it was that did a pretty credible job measuring it on his own?

Keenan repeats the official bullshit that the PATH is a 30 km-long network. Guinness has bought the number too, so disputing it is beyond useless, but still, the 30 km claim is ridiculous. Some blogger in town figured it out at somewhere close to half that length, but I can't find that right now. Anyone know offhand who it was that did a pretty credible job measuring it on his own?

I remember the blogpost.

I believe the 30km number is citing two floors of a building concourse as double, and includes all the floors of the Eaton Centre. It also includes College Park, which is not continuous with the rest of the PATH network at the moment.

Back