News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

they are getting rid of the ramps going south bound on lawrence???? Are they doing a report discussing between lawrence and eglinton???? maybe a boulevard would make sense on this stretch. Or maybe a complete removal. but a boulevard I would be ok with.

According to this presentation, they intend to remove the ramps going from Lawrence toward Eglinton. According to the third page in this report, they are doing a study from the 401 to Eglinton. While the project is not focused on the Eglinton-Lawrence stretch it does include the Lawrence-Allen intersection.

Page 9 of said report says:
The Allen Road/Lawrence Avenue intersections are extremely challenging areas of the Allen Road
because all users, pedestrians, cyclists, cars, TTC vehicles, are all competing for what little space is
available. There are high traffic and pedestrian volumes (see Figure 4) and significant barriers for
people trying to reach the subway station entrances.

Adding new entrances would certainly free up capacity and make it easier to access the subway.

My only criticism is that you start with the premise of Eglinton West's current bus terminal being torn down. Given what was in the Eglinton LRT environmental assessment, that clearly won't happen.

And compounding it all: you're dealing with an Arthur Erickson design. 70s architectural heritage, you know...

My plan obvious isnt perfect but it was my idea of a "creative solution" to make lemonade out of lemonade. It seems that many ppl think I hate cars when I suggest that it should be completly removed. Other then the obvious T-stop disaster it faces at eglinton I think it should be removed to make the area a High density neighbourhood to compliment the transit hub that it will become (if the Eglinton LRT is built). Also the allen is really hurting the section closes to it on eglinton. I have thought if they simply made a no left hand turn sign (traveliing eglinton east bound) to northbound allen it would fix the bottleneck that constantly happens on eglinton. This would mean that there would still be a highway dumping onto eglinton but it would minimize the damage caused by the traffic to the immediate area. Other then a boulevard my final suggestion is getting rid of the north bound allen. Again there would be traffic but not nearly the same ammount. Plus it would create land to be developed mid to high rise.

Attachments

• eglintonleft.jpg
    eglintonleft.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 268
  • eglintonnonorthbound.jpg
    eglintonnonorthbound.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 277
Ill admit that is true.... Does this man like cars or something? Even great and smart ppl make mistakes sometimes.

Well I think that the eglinton West bus station could become a variety of things if it stayed. A library would have been great with all of its windows. Or a TTC museum could work as well. Im sure there are other creative things that could be used for this space other then to store a few busses. Im sure the man wouldnt be happy with that plan. If its such a nice design it should be used. What for I dont know but something for sure.

And I agree... Im confused why it appears they are only dealing with the allen up to lawrence. I understand the lawrence heights redevelopment but there should be a priority south of Lawrence as well. Especially since this is where the biggest bottleneck happens and where the transit hub will grow. Think of all the transit hubs. Yonge and Sheppard, Yonge and Bloor, St George, Soon Yonge and Eglinton... It only makes sense that this be a priority here as well.

Its been over a YEAR since this was last a topic.... First of all I should mention that I was reading in Joe Mihevc news letter that they are fixing the west bound eglinton traffic approaching the ALLEN to now facilitate 2 lanes turning onto the allen and one through lane... Currently there is two through lanes and only one right turn north bound allen lane... This in theory should solve some of the bottleneck problems but will it get even more drivers on EGLINTON?? Also I assume that after the LRT is built we will see the BUS only lane going east bound toward Eglinton West station also turned into a lane dedicated to turning onto the ALLEN.. Again we should see 2 lanes turning unto the allen and only one through lane... AS for the allen itself I took a picture off another transit forum which is suppose to be for the georgetown Go line and put it in microsoft paint to show what a decked over section of the allen from Eglinton West station to Glencarin station could look like.. Its really another park... but in my opinion thats a good thing... Cederville is great but it doesnt have soccer fields or baseball diamonds... Maybe it could be a different style park... ANyways heres the crude image i came up with... Imagine cars where the train tracks are...

Attachments

• allen.jpg
    allen.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 349
i live close enough to the allen and eglinton section that i notice how much traffic is on it daily. since friday the left turn lane frim west bound eglknton to the north bound allen has been shut down due to construction. the first weekend the intersection was chaos. in fact they had 2 cops on eglinton east of the allen just to make sure no one did u turns to make it in the allen since the north bound lane was open for traffic coming from east of it. monday and tuesday was chaos. somehow the motorists all missed the huge construction signs which clearly maked that the norh bound allen was closed. instead cars rushed into their left lanes only to the disapoontment to find that they had to continue driving on eglinton. wednesday the traffic had substantially decreased. i guess people either read the signs and found a new route or maybe there was alot less ppl driving weds. today,thursday, the traffic has again cut down in half. eglinton feels nicer to walk beside and alot less highway like. the southbound allen isnt the problem for eglinton. its the north bound allen which is the issue. im calling mike colle and dr eric hoskin tomorrow and asking them to take a count of traffic while the construction is going on. if there is a substatial decrease of traffic on eglinton i think a perminant solution should be found to keep it that way.

sixrings:

Your posts are just almost unbearable to read - actually, correction they are unbearable to read!

p5

Thanks for the compliments. i called colle and mahevc the other day and will be sending a email. your encouragement is refreshing:)

Some interesting discussion of the Allen in this thread. Full disclosure: I also live in the area and I don't own a car.

Changes to the intersection of Eglinton and Allen may or may not have improved the situation, I'm not sure. I get the feeling, though, that tweaks to that intersection won't make the problem go away completely - traffic is backed up pretty much constantly west to Oakwood and then south on Oakwood to St Clair. I've read that originally the Allen terminated at Lawrence and people complained and protested until they completed the last stretch to Eglinton, so the solution doesn't seem to be to pull it back to Lawrence.

I wouldn't mind too much if they completely destroyed the Allen, seeing as I don't own a car. They could turn it into a massive bike expressway that would allow me to cross the 401 north without dealing with traffic. Kidding aside... here are my thoughts:

In places they could build up the banks on either side of the Allen to reclaim a few meters of space. Compare this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allen_Road_from_Glencairn.jpg
To this (Montreal):
http://www.quebec-ukraine.com/i/pic/2004_02_29_b.jpg

I realize that it would be very difficult politically to complete the Spadina Expressway, but I feel like it might be the best option, financial and political issues aside. I picture it being more like Black Creek Dr - gradually losing lanes (at Bathurst and St Clair near St Clair West) and getting narrower, and eventually merging with Avenue Rd near MacPherson, so that it never has to terminate in a residential area.

This is probably not too different from the original plan for the Spadina Expressway, I'm not sure. There are a few blocks where you'd have to tunnel under existing residential to avoid having to demolish anything, but for almost the entire length you could cut and cover a tunnel through the ravine system. I know, there'd be a huge outcry, but this is a city, not virgin forest. It would be worth it eventually.

I realize that it would be very difficult politically to complete the Spadina Expressway, but I feel like it might be the best option, financial and political issues aside. I picture it being more like Black Creek Dr - gradually losing lanes (at Bathurst and St Clair near St Clair West) and getting narrower, and eventually merging with Avenue Rd near MacPherson, so that it never has to terminate in a residential area.

This is probably not too different from the original plan for the Spadina Expressway, I'm not sure. There are a few blocks where you'd have to tunnel under existing residential to avoid having to demolish anything, but for almost the entire length you could cut and cover a tunnel through the ravine system. I know, there'd be a huge outcry, but this is a city, not virgin forest. It would be worth it eventually.

You have got to be kidding? Extend the Allen? No way that will or should every happen

Apparently there is a study that is going to start in the summer about what they should do with the Allen from Lawrence to eglinton. Extending it will not be a option but making it a boulevard or even removing it will be.

Why remove it? I'm not clear what that would gain -- the land wouldn't be useful (as there would be no road access).

Back