News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I over heard Joe Mehevic (i butchered the spelling) talk at a lrt meeting about how one possibility of what to do with the excess lrt dirt was to use it to fill in part of the allen. Why would they consider filling it in? Well a couple simple reasosn would be that if it was filled in it would help the businesses along eglinton. A second reason is it would help make development around glencarin and eglinton west easier. Thirdly the city has to pay to service all of its highways now and if this road was removed apparently it would be a considerable savings. How much would it cost... Im thinking that the city might strike a deal with a developer similar to what has happened with the region park redevelopment, the lawrence heights redevelopment and downsview park. So its possible that what the city is getting is a solution to eglinton, no more annual fees for the allen, and some extra density around a subway and a lrt line in exchange for land to develop on.

By filling in the Allen you can develope the land and build neighbourhoods on there and around it by building houses and of course put in roads. This increases density in the area. I

if we had the money, we really should complete the Allen underground. This will alliviate so many problems on the 401 and DVP.

Got my notice in the mail about the public consultation today. Personally, not sure that the Allen needs to go, but they do need to redevelop the area around the ramps.

http://www.joemihevc.com/

this link will bring you to the information but it wont tell you what the options are just yet.... but remember that at eglinton the allen will have to be shut down for a year (although I heard at least 2) and the TTC doesnt know what to do with the dirt from the tunnel of the lrt and ppl should be able to connect the dot and figure out what the suggestion will be... I wonder what Mr. Ford is going to say about this plan?

I don't see any suggestion in the linked material to actually remove the road, at least without some sort of replacement. It probably does make a lot of sense to raise its grade so that it more easily connects to the surrounding neighbourhood.

I don't see any suggestion in the linked material to actually remove the road, at least without some sort of replacement. It probably does make a lot of sense to raise its grade so that it more easily connects to the surrounding neighbourhood.

it was the councillors hope that the community would embrace an at grade option for the lawrence heights redevelopment... but the community still liked the allen... there was always suppose to be a secondary plan which would study from lawrence to eglinton... however this is being fast tracked because of the shut down of the allen because of the lrt. I think with the shut down for a few years and the fact that the walls need work they are going to fight that the at grade option is the only real one that makes sense... Truthfully I agree with this option since I dont think the allen works properly and with the lawrence heights redevelopment and all the other density that will be coming the allen is simply going to work less efficiently than more efficiently... I say this and i live on eglinton and i use the allen probably every other day.

If the Allen roadway is placed at grade, what will be done with the subway line in the median? Will it be left in a trench, or is the idea to cover it?

If the Allen roadway is placed at grade, what will be done with the subway line in the median? Will it be left in a trench, or is the idea to cover it?

the lawrence heights redevelopment suggested keeping it trenched... to be honest i think the best idea is where possible south of lawrence is to build over it... covering it frees up the most land to be redeveloped.

the lawrence heights redevelopment suggested keeping it trenched... to be honest i think the best idea is where possible south of lawrence is to build over it... covering it frees up the most land to be redeveloped.

Well then why not cover it all including Lawrence, Yorkdale, Wilson Ave and develope the land

Well then why not cover it all including Lawrence, Yorkdale, Wilson Ave and develope the land

Because parts of the subway on the Allen are deeply trenches and other parts are only party trenched. You can tell when you drive the Allen by if there is or if there isn't supporting walls. North of Lawrence after the first underpass the Allen is higher then south of it. Anyways if you were or even could build over it there would end up being a considerable hump to clear the subway which would essentially be all most impossible to develop on anyways.

I got an announcement about public consultations yesterday. So yeah, given that extending the Allen is neither financially nor politically feasible, turning it into a boulevard seems reasonable. Removing it completely seems like a solution as well, but I wouldn't agree with shortening it - it's bound to cause chaos traffic wherever it terminates. Converting it into a boulevard would theoretically calm traffic in a gradual, orderly way.

I got an announcement about public consultations yesterday. So yeah, given that extending the Allen is neither financially nor politically feasible, turning it into a boulevard seems reasonable.

I think an at-surface boulevard with a few lights would actually increase its usefulness to drivers.

One of the main issues with Allan Road is getting off it. If it was brought back up to grade then a large number of smaller intersecting streets could be reconnected.

Add 30 seconds for the tip from 401 to Eglinton but take 2 to 3 minutes off because of reduced traffic at Eglinton itself.

I think an at-surface boulevard with a few lights would actually increase its usefulness to drivers.

One of the main issues with Allan Road is getting off it. If it was brought back up to grade then a large number of smaller intersecting streets could be reconnected.

Add 30 seconds for the tip from 401 to Eglinton but take 2 to 3 minutes off because of reduced traffic at Eglinton itself.

The 2 reasons that Allan Road is being considered now is the amount of fill coming out from the Eglinton tunnelling, and that many bridges are due for maintenance.

Although a boulevard sounds good, I wonder how the traffic staging for this would work since the fill is arriving over a multi-year period.

Back