News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This doesn't take into the account the vast majority of drug use which is not based in addiction, but yeah, the two aren't quite the same idea. It's true.

I'm assuming you're thinking primarily of Australia in terms of countries that implemented something like this and drove gun crime downward. I know that's a very good example. Are there others?

Japan's current gun control laws which are pretty much as tough at it gets, date back to 1958.

I don't know if there's data on a drop in gun violence at the time, but you can safely say there's next to none today.

Scotland seems to have done well since getting tough after its massacre.

There's certainly a proven correlation between tougher gun control and less gun crime.

Its imperfect of course.

And there are variations.

But done properly, I don't think the evidence would fail to establish that it can be effective.

I think Japan is an outlier here.

We are now getting into serious cultural considerations. Japanese culture is a lot more respectful of others than American, for example.

Scotland is a good example though, yeah. Nice one.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced a ban on some 1,500 makes and models of military-grade "assault-style" weapons in Canada, effective immediately.

Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sorts of weapons in this country.

"As of today, the market for assault weapons in Canada is closed," Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said. "Enough is enough. Banning these firearms will save Canadian lives."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gun-control-measures-ban-1.5552131

It seems the government has banned a military-style assault website. Cut-and-paste from Canada Gazette #154, Nbr 3 posting the Regulation:

(z.085) AR15.Com ARFCOM;
(z.086) AR15.Com AR15.Com;

Oopsie.

What was that supposed to mean?

I can't read legal nonsense....it's sometimes reminiscent of political rhetorical oratory and thus......sorry, my eyes glazed over just thinking about it.

It seems the government has banned a military-style assault website. Cut-and-paste from Canada Gazette #154, Nbr 3 posting the Regulation:

(z.085) AR15.Com ARFCOM;
(z.086) AR15.Com AR15.Com;

Oopsie.
Full list here http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

Ottawa should simply ban the ownership and sale of all semiautomatic rifles (or at least any with detachable or large capacity magazines) and handguns, as well as large magazine capacity (>6) and short stock “tactical” shotguns. If you’re hunting, a bolt action rifle or 4-6 round shotgun should suffice. As for handguns, no Canadian really has a purpose for one, but if needed a revolver will take down any bear or cougar that’s coming for you.

This term “assault” weapon needs to be tossed. I have any assault frying pan that I can hit you with.

Come on man.....a 4-6 round shotgun can do a lot more damage than my 10 round semi-automatic .22 I use for rabbits and birds.

What was that supposed to mean?

I can't read legal nonsense....it's sometimes reminiscent of political rhetorical oratory and thus......sorry, my eyes glazed over just thinking about it.

Sorry. It was a two-line extract from the very long list that the government published itemizing new restricted/prohibited weapons. They were approved by Cabinet as a Regulation under the Criminal Code. The Canada Gazette is the 'official newspaper' of the Government, publishing laws committee reports, etc.

I suppose it does seem as Swahili if you're not used to the process

Sorry. It was a two-line extract from the very long list that the government published itemizing new restricted/prohibited weapons. They were approved by Cabinet as a Regulation under the Criminal Code. The Canada Gazette is the 'official newspaper' of the Government, publishing laws committee reports, etc.

I suppose it does seem as Swahili if you're not used to the process

No, I understood that......you made it seem like banning a website was a typo or something so I was wondering what those lines were supposed to say.

No, I'd probably make more sense of Swahili, actually. ;)

No, I understood that......you made it seem like banning a website was a typo or something so I was wondering what those lines were supposed to say.

No, I'd probably make more sense of Swahili, actually. ;)

No clue. Administrative error? Ministry staffer doing a Google search and pasting anything that had 'AR-15' in it? I imagine whoever got stuck doing a final proof-read probabaly ended up with Strabismus (cross-eyed).

Ok, good, I was worried our government was trying to censor the internet. I know they love their Chinese Communist Party but that'd be a bit much.

Come on man.....a 4-6 round shotgun can do a lot more damage than my 10 round semi-automatic .22 I use for rabbits and birds.
That’s certainly an opinion. A .22 semiautomatic with multiple detachable 10 round, quick-load magazines like this one sold by Sail Canada can do a lot of harm. But 4-6 rounds is the traditional internal capacity of all shotguns, outside of crack and load single shots like below and the old twin barrel types. I think it’s impractical to restrict shotguns to these two formats.

Henry-Arms-Single-Shot-Shotgun-Break-Action.jpg

400px-ShotgunAction.JPG

Last edited:
Why would it be impractical to restrict it to two barrel? That's what I've used.
My 10 round semi .22 v the shotgun I've used.... I know which one I'd rather have pointed at me and it ain't the shotgun.

Damn, I didn't know Sail sells guns and that's where I got my tent. The one you linked to looks almost like mine!! Except it doesn't have the magazine attached.

The magazine makes it look like a hilarious bootleg Kalashnikov or something.

I think Japan is an outlier here.

We are now getting into serious cultural considerations. Japanese culture is a lot more respectful of others than American, for example.

Scotland is a good example though, yeah. Nice one.

I watched several videos from a guy who lives in Japan and the people are so polite and respectful. They work very long hours though.

When the Canada Border Services Agency makes up their own rules in conflict with the rules made in Ottawa.

Canadians with foreign national spouses face obstacles at border

From link.

When Canada closed its border mid-March due to the pandemic, John Alan Aucoin and other Canadians were unequivocally assured their spouses from abroad would be allowed into the country despite the travel bans.

Little did they know it would come with a catch. Canada Border Services Agency actually had its own rules when applying the government order.

Aucoin didn’t expect his American wife, Adrienne Berg Yorinks, to have trouble coming home to Cape Breton. The couple’s only concern returning from Florida was being able to drive through Maine and New York with those states in lockdown.

But like many foreigner nationals married to Canadians but yet to become permanent residents, Yorinks was refused entry at the border. The couple have been separated for weeks now, one in Florida, the other in Nova Scotia, not knowing when the border will reopen.

“Adrienne was not on a shopping trip. It was not an optional travel. She’s travelling to our primary home with me, a Canadian,” said Aucoin, who met his now wife in 2014. They wed in 2018.

“The fact is Canadian families are being separated notwithstanding of our prime minister’s assertions.”

On March 16, when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the border would be closed to non-Canadians, he made exceptions for immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The travel ban, as stated in the government’s orders, was to curtail the spread of COVID-19.

However, since April, a growing number of foreign spouses and children of Canadians have been refused admission into Canada because their travels are deemed “non-essential and optional” by Canadian border agents at airports and land border crossings, said lawyers.

“The Order-in-Council is very clear that immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident are exempted from the travel restrictions,” said Barbara Jo Caruso, a former chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s immigration division.

“It appeared the border was open for a period of time, and then they started tightening it in early April. And now nobody gets in except if (the travel) is of essential nature.”

On Good Friday, after being on the road for hours driving back from Juno Beach, Fla., Aucoin, a retired lawyer, and Yorinks, an artist and author, arrived at the border crossing between Calais, Maine and Saint Stephen, N.B. at 5:30 a.m. A border agent refused to let Yorinks in because her travel was deemed non-essential.

When the couple returned to the United States border entry, American officials refused to let Aucoin in because Washington’s COVID-19 travel ban doesn’t have provisions to exempt foreign spouses accompanying Americans.

“It’s been a roller-coaster for us, and we have tried to keep our spirits up,” said Aucoin, who had consulted a lawyer, obtained a notarized statement from the Justice of Peace who married them in Cape Breton and drafted a quarantine plan upon arrival. Yorinks ended up having to drive home to their winter home in Florida by herself.

Immigration lawyer Rafeena Rashid, who used to represent the federal Justice Department and now has her own practice, said her clients — a British and Canadian couple — boarded a government repatriation flight to Toronto Pearson airport April 13 after Global Affairs Canada cleared them.

However, the border agency seized the British husband’s passport and sent him back to the U.K. the next day. The couple are still separated.

“It is very clear that one thing is said to the public while something else is done behind the scenes by CBSA,” said Rashid. “CBSA absolutely has no oversight. Zero. Who’s CBSA to come up with its own criteria that’s not based on the law?”

In response to the Star’s inquiry, the border agency referred to a provision in the government’s COVID travel orders that says: A foreign national, including a Canadian’s immediate family member, is banned from entry if they seek to enter for an optional or discretionary purpose, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment.

However, an internal instruction for front-line border agents obtained by the Star revealed that Canada Border Services Agency actually has set criteria beyond that.

The guidelines include, among other criteria, a ban against a “foreign national coming to Canada to temporarily reside with spouse or immediate family during the pandemic.”

The immigration department last week also posted on its website examples of what are deemed discretionary: visit family on vacation; spend time at a secondary residence; attend a funeral; and birth of a grandchild.

What is not discretionary, it says, is for people to spend the pandemic period with their Canadian family member to ensure each other’s health, safety and well-being. “It would be beneficial to all parties, as the reunification of family members is a key point of the Order in Council,” it notes. “This allows for families to be together during this difficult time.”

Lawyers said the border agency’s own rules go against the spirit of the government order.

“There’s a consistent reference to essential travels, and they don’t see keeping a family together in crisis as essential,” said lawyer Erin Simpson, who has filed a court challenge against a border agency decision to deny one of her client’s entry to Canada.

Nadia Drost of Toronto said her Italian journalist husband, Bruno Federico, was denied entry at Pearson airport on April 22 and sent back to New York City, where he had travelled for an assignment for a documentary about COVID-19. The two had already booked an Airbnb for his 14-day quarantine.

“It’s wrong that border officers are following secret guidelines that are different from what the public is privy to,” said the 42-year-old Toronto woman, also a journalist. “We need oversight of CBSA in the way they interpret the government order. They’ve got to square up.”

Back