News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No surprise.

BREAKING: Restrictions at the Canada-US border are being renewed for another 30 days to Sept. 21, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says.

Morneau is holding a presser any minute.

Reports are he is resigning. (from Radio-Canada)

Morneau is also resigning as the MP for Toronto-Centre.

Generally, a safe Liberal seat.

I assume, barring surprises, we will be going to a by-election.

We will probably see a high-profile candidate as well.

Morneau further stated he is putting his name forward to be Secretary-General of the OECD.

Apparently with the PMs formal backing.

Ok, tacking this on, loved this:

1597708032830.png

S-G of the OECD is a pretty cushy job. Head office in Paris, a CAD$350,000 equivalent annual salary, probably a personal driver, security detail, errand boy, a nearly unlimited expense account, oh, and this:

The Secretary-General shall, in respect of himself, his spouse and children under the age of 21, be accorded in Canada the privileges, immunities, exemptions and facilities accorded to heads of diplomatic missions in conformity with international law.

Who's in the bullpen?

Acting Minister will be Mona Fortier according to the Order-in-Council. Which I believe makes her Canada's first female Finance Minister.

But I expect, from what I'm hearing, its Freeland.

But one can never be sure of these things.....

The other logical Candidate is Duclos; who is second-acting Minister, and has the right CV for the job. (Economist by trade)

But I think Freeland is the more likely choice.

Freeland by the way is very much connected to former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney......who has been advising the PM as of late.

Some think Carney will be appointed (he doesn't have to be elected first, and could run in Morneau's seat).

That's plausible.

Last edited:
It'd be nice to have a MP in Toronto Centre who can actually give a damn about the people of Toronto Centre. I would not be happy if the Liberals tried to parachute Mark Carney here - it's been a dumping ground too often. Before the last provincial election, the Liberals left us without a MPP for nearly a year.

Acting Minister will be Mona Fortier according the Order-in-Council. Which I believe makes her Canada's first female Finance Minister.

But I expect, from what I'm hearing, its Freeland.

But one can never be sure of these things.....

The other logical Candidate is Duclos; who is second-acting Minister, and has the right CV for the job. (Economist by trade)

But I think Freeland is the more likely choice.

Freeland by the way is very much connected to former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney......who has been advising the PM as of late.

Some think Carney will be appointed (he doesn't have to be elected first, and could run in Morneau's seat).

That's plausible.

They could appoint him to the Senate. Harper did that.

Back