News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Freeland has been the special teams expert in Trudeaus government basically covering some of the hardest jobs. Finance still has the pandemic to provide cover but it will become difficult in subsequent years: slaying deficits and either raising taxes or cutting spending or both. I’m not sure they need her there yet.

Ya, I saw some the coverage after I posted. Representation in terms of gender, region, etc. will no doubt have to be considered. I have a lot of respect for Freeland but geez, how much can they pile on her plate. A move the Finance perhaps but do we have somebody to take the reins of Intergovernmental Affairs (and international trade even though there is an actual Minister for that) in light of the seemingly never ending disputes with the US and China?

Carney: perhaps, if he is willing to dip into the cesspool. If had his CV, I'm not sure I'd put up with the grief for what, $180K, when there would be so many other options out there.

Our Westminster-based system does not require a Minister of the Crown to be elected - ever. Apparently we've done it 169 times (some were Senators). That would be a ballsy move these days.

Usually, good finances ministers boost the PM.

Like Paul Martin did to Jean Chretien

Like Jim Flaherty did to Stephen Harper.

Even if the PM falters, the finance minister is someone that really is seen as a steady force.

Morneau was not that guy

Even if the PM falters, the finance minister is someone that really is seen as a steady force.

Morneau was not that guy
Worst Federal Finance Minister I can remember in my 49 years. In 2015 Morneau promised to stop deficits by 2019... a useful thing to do during times of economic strength, preparing the country‘s finances for unanticipated times of stress, like a pandemic. But even worse he kept making his boss look bad.

After nearly fifty Ministers of Finance, maybe it’s time to give a qualified woman a shot. Whomever leads Finance needs a plan to pay off the pandemic programs and bring a now trillion dollar national debt under control. We had war bonds, maybe pandemic bonds? Morneau canceled the Canada Savings Bond program in 2017, maybe being them back? Cut back on foreign aid, military and resource spending, and sell off previously nationalized pipelines, basically anything anything that‘s not essential. That last word is where a good finance minister will make the distinction. And close the loop holes on corporate and personal income taxes, especially those the Morneau’s of this country utilize to pay little tax.

Here’s where the money goes, what’s that 16% of “other departments and agencies“? This needs to be drilled down to $100k increments.

Last edited:

Morneau was not that guy

Carney won't be that guy either. Mostly because Trudeau seems unwilling to listen to any sort of moderating fiscal advice.

Worst Federal Finance Minister I can remember in my 49 years. In 2015 Morneau promised to stop deficits by 2019... a useful thing to do during times of economic strength, preparing the country‘s finances for unanticipated times of stress, like a pandemic. But even worse he kept making his boss look bad.

After nearly fifty Ministers of Finance, maybe it’s time to give a qualified woman a shot. Whomever leads Finance needs a plan to pay off the pandemic programs and bring a now trillion dollar national debt under control. We had war bonds, maybe pandemic bonds? Morneau canceled the Canada Savings Bond program in 2017, maybe being them back? Cut back on foreign aid, military and resource spending, and sell off previously nationalized pipelines, basically anything anything that‘s not essential. That last word is where a good finance minister will make the distinction. And close the loop holes on corporate and personal income taxes, especially those the Morneau’s of this country utilize to pay little tax.

Here’s where the money goes, what’s that 16% of “other departments and agencies“? This needs to be drilled down to $100k increments.

The problem being if you ask ten people you get 12 answers, depending on things like personal financial situation, location, philosophy, etc. The 16% 'other' on the loonie infographic is all the departments not shown: justice, environment, coast guard, parks and on and on and on.

It's all there on Canada.ca, you just have to slice and dice it. With a budget the size of the fed's, trying to drill down to $100k, particularly visually, would be impossible - that's barely one middle manager's salary and benefits.

Curious too see how long she lasts. Especially if she's unwilling to bankroll Trudeau's helicopter money dreams.

I do not think she will last very long given how passive she is. When I see watch her press conferences I get more of a stay the course vibe than I do a deal with the crisis one.

She is great in the foreign affairs role but I don't think she will do well in the finance minister role.

1597759919110.png

She is great in the foreign affairs role but I don't think she will do well in the finance minister role.
I disagree, she was not great at foreign affairs (or trade). We got roasted on NAFTA, headlined an event needlessly criticizing Trump, and unnecessarily pissed off China by doing Trump’s bidding by seizing and now holding Huawei‘s CFO, whilst leaving the two Michaels to rot in Chinese prisons. The best thing is she doesn’t seem to last long in any portfolio (she’s headed five ministries since 2015), so we can expect Freeland to be bounced from Finance sometime in 2021.

I disagree, she was not great at foreign affairs (or trade). We got roasted on NAFTA, headlined an event needlessly criticizing Trump, and unnecessarily pissed off China by doing Trump’s bidding by seizing and now holding Huawei‘s CFO, whilst leaving the two Michaels to rot in Chinese prisons. The best thing is she doesn’t seem to last long in any portfolio (she’s headed five ministries since 2015), so we can expect Freeland to be bounced from Finance sometime in 2021.

That's if this little boondoggle does not result in an election first.

I'm not sure how you ascribe the Huawei 'incident' to Freeland, unless you are trying to tie it to her role as Deputy PM, in which case you might as well send your blame right to the top. Intergovernmental Affairs mandate is internal (federal-provincial/territorial).

Back