News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd suggest a complete trade. All of Point Roberts goes to Canada and all of Campobello Island to the US. The Northwest Angle is not that important, but if their few residents felt it better to be in Manitoba, then America should honour that.

I suppose the concept of 'importance' differs whether you are a resident. I can't say I've heard of a local hue and cry from local residents to change nationality, at least not in the media I see. There was a stink in NW Angle a few years ago around Ontario fishing rules but it was solved. I think they'd be quite happy with common sense application of border rules or perhaps some modification/allowances for affected residents.

I think swapping of land masses would be the comparatively easy part; people would be the harder part. Does each state pay for the relocation of residents who do not wish to change nationalities? For those who remain, there would need to be an actuarial adjustment of the public and private financial impact, such government entitlements, private financial instruments such as bank accounts, RSPs, etc. now help by a foreign national. Dual citizenship might help but that has other spin-offs.

I suppose the concept of 'importance' differs whether you are a resident. I can't say I've heard of a local hue and cry from local residents to change nationality, at least not in the media I see. There was a stink in NW Angle a few years ago around Ontario fishing rules but it was solved. I think they'd be quite happy with common sense application of border rules or perhaps some modification/allowances for affected residents.

I think swapping of land masses would be the comparatively easy part; people would be the harder part. Does each state pay for the relocation of residents who do not wish to change nationalities? For those who remain, there would need to be an actuarial adjustment of the public and private financial impact, such government entitlements, private financial instruments such as bank accounts, RSPs, etc. now help by a foreign national. Dual citizenship might help but that has other spin-offs.
Yet, the Indian and Bangladeshi governments were able to simplify their borders and convince residents to change their nationality or move (and these residents can be very obstinate).

Therefore, trading Campobello Island to the United States (arguing that the Roosevelts (both Teddy and FDR and their families) vacationed there during the summer) for Point Roberts and the Northwest Angle could be feasible. We could also throw in Cockburn Island to give to the United States to sweeten the deal (arguing that Cockburn Island's first settlement was founded by an American).

Last edited:
I thought Trudeau was living in Rideau cottage so that 24 Sussex could be renovated.

I haven't heard of any concrete plan, or any work being started, but it's been unoccupied since 2015.
They're more likely to demo it entirely at this point.

Yet, the Indian and Bangladeshi governments were able to simplify their borders and convince residents to change their nationality or move (and these residents can be very obstinate).

Therefore, trading Campobello Island to the United States (arguing that the Roosevelts (both Teddy and FDR and their families) vacationed there during the summer) for Point Roberts and the Northwest Angle could be feasible. We could also throw in Cockburn Island to give to the United States to sweeten the deal (arguing that Cockburn Island's first settlement was founded by an American).

I get it - other countries have done it. Perhaps grassroots petitioning from the areas involved might start something. The fact that a couple of Americans vacationed somewhere is probably the worst reason to cede territory; otherwise, Muskoka is in trouble.

I haven't heard of any concrete plan, or any work being started, but it's been unoccupied since 2015.
They're more likely to demo it entirely at this point.
Didn't it have to do with the Cons refusing to approve renovations unless Trudeau paid the Aga Khan for that "personal" trip (or something like that)?

Fallout from the 'WE' scandal......................

1599684448855.png

The way I read it, the CPC's reluctance to support committed funding for NCC was in response to a CBC inquiry. From link:

In 2018, CBC News asked political parties if they would put politics aside to repair the residence. O'Toole balked at the idea and said his party would only back the cost of renovating 24 Sussex if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid back costs associated with his 2016 trip to the Aga Khan's island in the Bahamas.
It is unclear if if there was any actual interference with NCC project approval or funding, which I would think would be unusual at the parliamentary level except to make noise about it. The same article says the NCC is working to remove politics from maintenance and ensure long-term funding. And good luck with that.

Fallout from the 'WE' scandal......................

View attachment 268702

Probably too bad - it seems their financials and ratios were fairly decent for a charity - they no doubt did good works, but a lesson for when you get entwined in a political affair. When the accusations and recriminations are aired and the crying is done, you will be on street on your own with your reputation in tatters.

To do so without attack ad's claiming the PM is spending your money to build a lavish house for himself?
As I recall, Trudeau said he would never live in 24 Sussex, so anything spent on it won't benefit him personally. It is really sad and pathetic how we treat these official residences. Is this a G7 country or a condo board?

Back