News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I imagine the noisy voices that show up at these things would boo anyone that represents 'the establishment'.

yeah i am sure they would boo trudeau if he did that.

But it was nice to hear all the leaders come out against toppling statues.

I went to a school named after our first PM. Yeah, he was a racist drunk, but I don't support toppling statues or renaming the school.

There's been so many rumours of this record stimulus package. Really curious what this is. I'm a little worried. Trudeau has a record is making grand promises and having it all end up as cutting cheques. His infrastructure plans are only marginally better than Trump's Infrastructure Weeks at this point.

Maybe I come from my own Toronto-based bubble, but I suspect that this is largely correct. SoCons are more partisanly conservative (and anti-Trudeau/Liberals) than they are ideologically SoCon. Call it yet another ramification of the Americanization of our political climate.

I'm not a fan of importing American problems and perspectives. Were our founders racist? Absolutely. Were they near as bad as Confederates? No. Did we put up their statues to specifically antagonize and oppress First Nations? No.

It likely won't be long before Egerton Ryerson's statue is toppled over. Nuance is unfortunately dead. This was a man who fought for universal basic education for all children in Ontario, boy and girl, rich and poor, protestant and non-protestant. That was remarkably progressive for the time. Yet I saw on Instagram yesterday people cheerfully painting the hands of his statue with red paint to symbolize blood.

It is true. However, the SoCons have a lot of influence in the party. So if O'Toole wants to not be beholden to them, he has to exercise Harper-like control over the party to prevent SoCon eruptions in policy or commentary bubbling up from the grassroots or his MPs.

Maybe I come from my own Toronto-based bubble, but I suspect that this is largely correct. SoCons are more partisanly conservative (and anti-Trudeau/Liberals) than they are ideologically SoCon. Call it yet another ramification of the Americanization of our political climate.

It likely won't be long before Egerton Ryerson's statue is toppled over. Nuance is unfortunately dead. This was a man who fought for universal basic education for all children in Ontario, boy and girl, rich and poor, protestant and non-protestant. That was remarkably progressive for the time. Yet I saw on Instagram yesterday people cheerfully painting the hands of his statue with red paint to symbolize blood.
It’s all part of being woke. There is no nuance.

Back