News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is true. However, the SoCons have a lot of influence in the party. So if O'Toole wants to not be beholden to them, he has to exercise Harper-like control over the party to prevent SoCon eruptions in policy or commentary bubbling up from the grassroots or his MPs.

Yes, the infamous bozo eruptions when Scheer wouldn't keep a lid on things.

I wouldn't test that if I were Trudeau.

I didn't mind what O'Toole said after being elected--he put me at ease that he wasn't a firebrand. That Labour Day address though makes me wonder if he is going to take the anti-globalism Trumpist approach. I hope not. Canada doesn't have the luxury of being able to bully other countries.

I wouldn't test that if I were Trudeau.

I didn't mind what O'Toole said after being elected--he put me at ease that he wasn't a firebrand. That Labour Day address though makes me wonder if he is going to take the anti-globalism Trumpist approach. I hope not. Canada doesn't have the luxury of being able to bully other countries.

I essentially agree w/you.

But to play Devil's advocate; the U.S. aside.................can't we? (bully other countries).

If we decided to cease Wheat exports, there would be a global shortage; likely the same w/soy.

We are also the world's supplier of mustard (seed).

And a large exporter of many other foods.

We are also a world supplier of many metals and rare earths.

If we actually decided to stop (the self-inflicted economy injury would be large, if we didn't sell to others); but the damage we could inflict is large.

But let's be honest, that's a high-risk, high-stakes play; probably not advisable; and in any event highly unlikely from any Canadian government.

Even Trump's new Trade deals really didn't move the needle in bringing manufacturing back to the U.S.; even at the margins. (in fact there have been net employment losses in this sector under Trump)

Thought that's not so much because the U.S. couldn't make that happen, as Trump never intended to; and no other U.S. leader was likely to either.

More on the issue of fragmented communities due to the U.S./Canada border situation.

Touching on the challenges for Cambello Island residents (Canada, NB) but off the coast of, and only directly connected to Maine.............and Pt. Roberts Washington, which is functionally part of BC.

Pt. Roberts residents have always had to send their kids either to, or through Canada to go to school beyond grade 3.

Something I didn't realize, is we are no longer accepting school as a reason for crossing the border (essential travel).

So Pt. Roberts residents are having to send their kids away if they want them to attend school this fall.

In a world where countries push each other around rather than largely abide by international norms & standards, Canada gets pushed around and squashed like a bug. It's in our interests to strengthen those standards, because we are in bed with the elephant (the US).

More on the issue of fragmented communities due to the U.S./Canada border situation.

Touching on the challenges for Cambello Island residents (Canada, NB) but off the coast of, and only directly connected to Maine.............and Pt. Roberts Washington, which is functionally part of BC.

Pt. Roberts residents have always had to send their kids either to, or through Canada to go to school beyond grade 3.

Something I didn't realize, is we are no longer accepting school as a reason for crossing the border (essential travel).

So Pt. Roberts residents are having to send their kids away if they want them to attend school this fall.

This exclave business seems like nonsense. I know it will never happen, but these exclaves should all be ceded to the natural country to which they should belong and all the residents given the option of dual citizenship (if they have citizenship of one of the two countries).

This exclave business seems like nonsense. I know it will never happen, but these exclaves should all be ceded to the natural country to which they should belong and all the residents given the option of dual citizenship (if they have citizenship of one of the two countries).

For reference for those unawares..............this is Campobello Island.

The black line is the US/Canada border.

One can clearly see the island is more proximal to the mainland of Maine than NB.

Though there is another NB Island just beside it which almost traces back to the mainland; and Nova Scotia is due east across the Bay of Fundy.

Its an odd way to have drawn the line, but not quite as preposterous as Pt. Roberts or the North-West Angle.

1599539665036.png

Pt. Roberts:

1599539721909.png

Again the black line is the US/Canada border.

North-West Angle:

1599539804180.png

Here again you see a fragment of mainland that logically meets Manitoba but is within, but not connected to the U.S.

Those exclaves are largely a result of imprecise map-making when borders were agreed and lack of foresight. The optics are terrible for any country to be ceding territory (particularly with the current occupant of the WH), but these are silly and should be resolved with a swap.

I think the challenge with these exclaves is that we need to phrase regulations to allow their transit without letting in all the hooligans from the contiguous lower 48. Canada has bigger fish to fry than spend much time worrying about this. Perhaps we just permit specific buses & kids to transit.

A lot of these anomalies are a result of the imprecise geographic knowledge of the day - a lot of assumptions were used. The NW Angle arose out an original incorrect assumption regarding the source of the Mississippi - which was supposed to define the location of the main border. The exclave arose from a correction. Point Roberts was stranded but at least they didn't extend the 49th due west and divide Vancouver Island. During the era of border-making, most of the involved areas were unsettled so few if any thought these quirks were a big deal anyway. Actually, in spite of the rules, most local application of sovereignty rules wasn't big deal until 9/11 - consider life in Derby Line VT/Standstead QC pre-9/11.

Swapping or rationalizing of territory ain't gonna happen. Factors such politics, in and under water resources, territorial waters, etc. will prevent it. If the matters were left to local governments, I could see specific permissions and allowances, but not with the US federal agencies involved.

Reactions: DSC
^ If it is going to kept as a public property then, yes, it's the cost of maintaining a 107 year old building that probably hasn't seen a lot of timely love over the years (but seriously, +$30K for "decor, including new mattresses, plus carpet cleaning and moving in furniture" - I'm in the wrong line of work). But I think there is an equally valid argument for debating whether The Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition needs provided housing, along with The Farm (residence of the Speaker). Neither have the responsibilities as Head of Government. They are both eligible for their MP housing allowance and if their parties want to salt that it is up to them.

All political parties have used the NCC's management of the official residences for partisan ends for years which why they have ended up in the state they are in.

A lot of these anomalies are a result of the imprecise geographic knowledge of the day - a lot of assumptions were used. The NW Angle arose out an original incorrect assumption regarding the source of the Mississippi - which was supposed to define the location of the main border. The exclave arose from a correction. Point Roberts was stranded but at least they didn't extend the 49th due west and divide Vancouver Island. During the era of border-making, most of the involved areas were unsettled so few if any thought these quirks were a big deal anyway. Actually, in spite of the rules, most local application of sovereignty rules wasn't big deal until 9/11 - consider life in Derby Line VT/Standstead QC pre-9/11.

Swapping or rationalizing of territory ain't gonna happen. Factors such politics, in and under water resources, territorial waters, etc. will prevent it. If the matters were left to local governments, I could see specific permissions and allowances, but not with the US federal agencies involved.
Yet, the Indo-Bangladeshi boundary had been simplified:

There were numerous micro-enclaves and recursive enclaves before the simplification.

For reference for those unawares..............this is Campobello Island.
The black line is the US/Canada border.
One can clearly see the island is more proximal to the mainland of Maine than NB.
Though there is another NB Island just beside it which almost traces back to the mainland; and Nova Scotia is due east across the Bay of Fundy.
Its an odd way to have drawn the line, but not quite as preposterous as Pt. Roberts or the North-West Angle.
Pt. Roberts:
Again the black line is the US/Canada border.
North-West Angle:
Here again you see a fragment of mainland that logically meets Manitoba but is within, but not connected to the U.S.
I'd suggest a complete trade. All of Point Roberts goes to Canada and all of Campobello Island to the US. The Northwest Angle is not that important, but if their few residents felt it better to be in Manitoba, then America should honour that.

Back