News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You have the right that wants to stop immigration but just as bad as some on the left want massive numbers every year 1 million plus.
I don't think 1M per year is inherently bad. We would just need to ensure we have the infrastructure in place to absorb and integrate that immigration, without relaxing standards.

I don't think 1M per year is inherently bad. We would just need to ensure we have the infrastructure in place to absorb and integrate that immigration, without relaxing standards.

This would make for a great post-covid rebuilding project. Infrastructure projects throughout Canada to rebuild the economy. City building... not just sewer replacement.

Help build up cities so they can support immigration.

This would make for a great post-covid rebuilding project. Infrastructure projects throughout Canada to rebuild the economy. City building... not just sewer replacement.

Help build up cities so they can support immigration.
The urbanist in me certainly images a timeline where places like Moncton, London, and Red Deer develop into major Canadian cities. A second tier of big city behind the six major cities in the country.

It is not that we should stop immigration, we should focus it. Canada needs immigration given its sheer size, we cannot survive without more people coming in to populate the country, pay taxes etc.

What should be done is something similar to the Atlantic Pilot Project that grants people visas to work in the maritimes where they need people.

Designate zones for new immigrants (NOT camps) where we need people to bolster the local population and make it a requirement of their application that they live in those areas. Everyone wants to live in Toronto and Vancouver but those cities are becoming overloaded whereas cities like Saskatoon, Halifax, Regina, Lethbridge, Whitehorse and Winnipeg need people.
I think we have to be careful with this. Maybe provide an expedited process for people who agree to live in one of these cities for 3 years.

I think we have to be careful with this. Maybe provide an expedited process for people who agree to live in one of these cities for 3 years.

Perhaps but at the same time the major cities are overloaded with new immigrants and simply cannot handle more people. There needs to be some sort of incentive to live in cities other than Toronto, Vancouver, etc.

Its not just those 3 cities look at Ottawa start with housing prices that catching up Toronto and Vancouver there is no room in shelters and hospitals are well over cap.

I think the question do we want canada to remain a rather medium size nation or go to 100 million.

We have seen once countries get a larger population, their problems grow exponentially.

I think the question do we want canada to remain a rather medium size nation or go to 100 million.

We have seen once countries get a larger population, their problems grow exponentially.

If you look at countries that had a few million a year it lead to major issues what groups are calling on Canadato do is bring in 10-15 million a year that would cripple the country.

If you look at countries that had a few million a year it lead to major issues what groups are calling on Canadato do is bring in 10-15 million a year that would cripple the country.

Exactly. The system is backlogged as it is and can't handle many more people.

They need to pause immigration if anything to play catch up

Exactly. The system is backlogged as it is and can't handle many more people.

They need to pause immigration if anything to play catch up

If the PM came out and said were going to bring in 100 million from 2030-2050 and we will spend 2020-2030 getting ready i think most would support that.

I am not sure if he would.

As a person who is entirely pro-immigration...........

Uh, yes he would.

That's too aggressive a number.

The cost of readying infrastructure for that number would be enormous.

It would also have huge implications.

Take a look:

If, the Goldenhorse took only 1/3 of that number (well less than our current share of new immigrants)

You're talking about about increasing the population here by 20M, to roughly 30M

That's staggering.

Even with large-scale intensification it would near impossible to do without going well into the Greenbelt for development.

Toronto already has notoriously bad commutes.

The O/L / Relief Line isn't really to address growth like that, its to catch us up to where we need to be now; the same could be said for the base level of GO Expansion/RER

You're talking about a scenario with a GO Midtown line; the missing link, GO to Bolton, GO to Uxbridge, GO to Orillia, and GO to Brantford.

You're also talking about a completed Sheppard Subway (Sheppard West to STC); the relief line/OL going to Steeles, not Sheppard, and likely another Relief Line on top of that.

Never mind a Line 2 extension to Mississauga and a bevy of LRT projects.

This isn't Billions or Tens of Billions is well over 150B new transportation infrastructure alone, in the GTA, alone.

That doesn't address sewers, water mains, hospitals, schools etc etc.

Now imagine how the places that get the other 2/3 of immigrants will feel.

Some small communities would love a few hundred or thousand new citizens.

But are Haligonians ready to from 400,000 to 2,000,000?

Vancouver could stand some additional intensification; but even a wall of hirises in North Vancouver isn't going to get you room for an extra 4,000,000.

Montreal/QC would have huge concerns about the French language being swamped.

You need to picture an Edmonton and Calgary at 4M+ each and likely Winnipeg too.

I think you need to restrain your sense of scale.

100M by 2100 is believable (whether we want that is a different question)

100M by 2080 is pushing the boundaries of plausible and unlikely to receive a positive reception.

But by 2050? Next to zero chance.

Too ambitious, too lifestyle altering, too drastic, too soon and too expensive.

Strawman. No one is suggesting 10-15M per year. It would be impossible to do, anyway.

Back