News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My only issue is that as long as the people coming have the skillset to work in a modern economy and not bring in people to live in immigrant ghetto to be used as exploitable 2nd class labour force for the elites.

As a minority i feel people get brought here and they have no really chance to succeed in a modern canada.

Personally I think the numbers should remain at 300k and a move to only highly skilled immigration only.

This is a big issue in Ottawa right now many immigrants don't have the skill set and large number don't speak english or french.

This is a big issue in Ottawa right now many immigrants don't have the skill set and large number don't speak english or french.

This is 2020, not 1980, the chances of someone who is uneducated and can't speak a language getting good jobs is very limited.

Yes the ones who are here I agree but I dont buy the mantra higher immigration is always for the best and I say this as a person who comes from an immigrant family.

The other think if we bring in 400,000 and thousands of refugees come from the States how to we handle that.

My only issue is that as long as the people coming have the skillset to work in a modern economy and not bring in people to live in immigrant ghetto to be used as exploitable 2nd class labour force for the elites.

As a minority i feel people get brought here and they have no really chance to succeed in a modern canada.

Personally I think the numbers should remain at 300k and a move to only highly skilled immigration only.

Pretty please, lets stop conflating Immigrants and Refugees, these are different categories.

There are no economic-class immigrants coming to Canada who don't speak English or French. Its a requirement in order to immigrate here, in the primary stream.

There is a smaller family reunification stream, used to bring spouses, children, parents and grandparents.

That stream is more lax on skills/language; however, in order to come in on that stream, your family member must sponsor you and demonstrate they have the financial capacity to look after you.

Likewise, refugees are not screened on a points basis.

From the 2018 immigration report, found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...eport-parliament-immigration-2018/report.html

1604151797702.png

From the same document:

1604151921149.png

This page provides information on sponsoring a family member: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...mily-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

About the process

If you’re eligible, you can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada.
If you do, you must be able to:
  • support them financially
  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government

They cracked down hard but I know a lot of people came into Canada from India under fake ILETS scores as international students.

This is not about economic-class immigrants.

That story is about international students, who do not have permanent residence or citizenship conferred on them through this process; and have to pay, international rates for Canadian education.

Even under the new measures being contemplated, such students would still have to graduate here in order to apply for P.R. status.

Something that would seem to suggest a certain level of language proficiency and employability.

This is not about economic-class immigrants.

That story is about international students, who do not have permanent residence or citizenship conferred on them through this process; and have to pay, international rates for Canadian education.

Even under the new measures being contemplated, such students would still have to graduate here in order to apply for P.R. status.

Something that would seem to suggest a certain level of language proficiency and employability.

Actually, you can get PR without passing the language test if you get a job in certain areas or fields (on paper).

Trudeau has sort of have opened the doors wide and I dont blame people they are using loopholes to game the system as living in Canada is pretty nice. A student visa from India is not about education in my community but about getting into Canada for life.

The international student numbers have gone from 300k to nearly 700k since 2015 and a lot of them are wanting to live in Canada forever. So the true number of people immigrating each year is well over 300 or 400k the govt says.

I am suggesting that as our economy becomes more specialized, people who do not speak the language well or have no skills are going to be pretty screwed I think. So I think our immigration system should be like almost entirely focused on economic class immigration.

Last edited:
We need to continue our Canadian approach to immigration, and not stray away from that, less we end up with other nations with various social issues. This means maintaining our stringent requirements for immigration, even if the overall quota increases through 2021-2023.

I get concerned from both directions when there is anti-immigration rhetoric from the right, or some notions of relaxing immigration requirements or open borders from the left. Our immigration policy as it stands, is not broken, is nationally popular, and I don't believe requires reform.

We need to continue our Canadian approach to immigration, and not stray away from that, less we end up with other nations with various social issues. This means maintaining our stringent requirements for immigration, even if the overall quota increases through 2021-2023.

I get concerned from both directions when there is anti-immigration rhetoric from the right, or some notions of relaxing immigration requirements or open borders from the left. Our immigration policy as it stands, is not broken, is nationally popular, and I don't believe requires reform.

You have the right that wants to stop immigration but just as bad as some on the left want massive numbers every year 1 million plus.

You have the right that wants to stop immigration but just as bad as some on the left want massive numbers every year 1 million plus.

It is not that we should stop immigration, we should focus it. Canada needs immigration given its sheer size, we cannot survive without more people coming in to populate the country, pay taxes etc.

What should be done is something similar to the Atlantic Pilot Project that grants people visas to work in the maritimes where they need people.

Designate zones for new immigrants (NOT camps) where we need people to bolster the local population and make it a requirement of their application that they live in those areas. Everyone wants to live in Toronto and Vancouver but those cities are becoming overloaded whereas cities like Saskatoon, Halifax, Regina, Lethbridge, Whitehorse and Winnipeg need people.

It is not that we should stop immigration, we should focus it. Canada needs immigration given its sheer size, we cannot survive without more people coming in to populate the country, pay taxes etc.

What should be done is something similar to the Atlantic Pilot Project that grants people visas to work in the maritimes where they need people.

Designate zones for new immigrants (NOT camps) where we need people to bolster the local population and make it a requirement of their application that they live in those areas. Everyone wants to live in Toronto and Vancouver but those cities are becoming overloaded whereas cities like Saskatoon, Halifax, Regina, Lethbridge, Whitehorse and Winnipeg need people.

Its not just Toronto and Vancouver its also Montreal/Ottawa and Edmonton.

Iqaluit would be a perfect place for those running away from COVID-19.

Just don't bring those with COVID-19 there.

After all, Nunavut is among the few jurisdictions on Earth without a single positive case of COVID-19 (that one "positive" case a few months ago turned out negative).

Back