News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Branch, a non first nations community of 247 has had a boil water advisory since 1989.

If you mean Branch NL, The province has 17 pages of advisories. Branch, and many others, are listed as "no disinfection system"; which doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the water - like drinking water out of the lake at the cottage.

BWAs exist all over the country; some temporary, some long term, some public, some private.

The difference between a FNT and non-native community is that we (Canadian government) put the residents there. A 'reserve' is a "tract of land, the legal title to which is vested in Her Majesty, that has been set apart by Her Majesty for the use and benefit of a band." (Indian Act).

There has been much foot-dragging by many governments over the years in relation to first nations, but politics exists on both sides. The issue in Caledonia stems from a conflict between the elected and hereditary factions.

A new Environics Focus Canada poll is out. It examines Canadian attitudes towards immigrants, immigration and refugees.

Its a good news story.

Canadians are becoming more accepting than ever, indeed being exceedingly positive on the whole subject.

Support is up, notably, among Albertans, the less educated, and Conservative voters.

Just one graph from the above link:

View attachment 278410

But there were many other questions, all with similarly positive trendlines.
Not polled:

The alt-right (they are less likely to trust pollsters)

By the way, I agree with the survey and it's always good to see that Canadians are more accepting than ever. The alt-right is just a very small but a very vocal group.

New funding to build/acquire new homes for the homeless; includes modular housing and hotel conversions among other things.

Targeted to create up to 3,000 units total, Toronto will see 200M and change.

That's ~800 units depending on costs (range about 600-1000)

As usual, these funding announcements always seem to fall far short of what's needed.

Well, look who illegally donated to Trump....

Hardly a surprise, given her past.

I have to say, given U.S. law on the subject, I'm unclear why parties aren't required to at least verify an address exists, in order to receive a donation.

I'm also not sure why proof of citizenship isn't required.

I don't know, but imagine we are similarly lax here.

Do you know what it reminds me of??

Its illegal for a U.S. employer to hire someone not legally permitted to work in the U.S.

However, they aren't actually required to check someone's legal status when hiring.

Hmmmm.

I mean, why donate directly to Trump? Just donate to a Trump-supportive super PAC. Anything goes when it comes to spending for them. You could be a foreign dictator and give hundreds of millions without disclosing.

Scheer says he won't vote in the US election.

Seven Conservative MP's voted against banning conversion therapy...
I’d want to peel the onion a bit before painting them all as zealots. Trudeau, like Harper before him likes to hide off topic twinkies in plain sight, in the form of omnibus legislation.

The Feds will set there immigration targets for the next 3 years today i am sure it will be to low for some and to high for others.

Canada's new immigration target's released.

A significant increase is proposed.

From a target, this year, of 341,000 (which won't be achieved due to the impact of the Pandemic)

To 401,000 in 2021

411,000 in 2022 and

421,000 in 2023

The desire seems to be to recover this year's shortfall entirely within the next 3 years.

Its the first time I can recall, in my lifetime, targets greater than 1% of population (which at ~38M would dictate 380,000)

The article suggests that to make this easier, Canada will allow international students graduating this year to immediately apply for permanent residence without any waiting period; and will also
take a more permissive view of giving permanent residents to current TFWs (Temporary Foreign Workers)

Not clear from the Minister was what the actual rule changes will say, on the latter, a further announcement will presumably be forthcoming.

Criticism mostly centres around whether the new targets are feasible.

Both the Conservatives and the BQ flagging that Canada simply doesn't have the requisite staffing to process that amount of paperwork in a single year; and that there is already a backlog of applicants.

Back