News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The future is renewables. People in high school are becoming more eco-friendly compared to 30 years ago.

For some stuff gas engines are preferable like snowblowers, or construction vehicles but otherwise natural gas, hydrogen and electric are taking over.

I don't see fossil fuels being the cash cow they were in the 20th century.

When i went to high school many years ago the talk then was windmills and solar now many don't wnat that they want different forms of renewables.

When i went to high school many years ago the talk then was windmills and solar now many don't wnat that they want different forms of renewables.

And if magazines like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science were to be believed back in the '50s and '60s, we'd all have a small nuclear reactor in our basement to heat and power our home and charge up our flying heli-car.

I am sharing an article from Ottawa Life below; in which the bulk of the piece takes the form of an open letter from a Federal Deputy Minister.

Daniel Quan-Watson is currently the Deputy Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada.

It was written in answer to the Rex Murphy piece some time ago suggesting Canada wasn't really racist; and is a sharing of his experiences that would suggest otherwise.

I could have given this its own thread, but as the bulk of the writing is that of a Federal Deputy Minister, and speaks to his experiences across the country and around the world as a Canadian, in the employ of the state; this seemed a reasonable place to park it.

While I certainly hope the extent of his negative experiences is not the norm; and that such things are less common than they once were; that he has had so many negative encounters, over such a long period is truly disheartening.

My guess is that would be single digit seats for them.

As I said before, Singh was the last choice on my ballot for leader because I knew he would not win anything outside the various ethnic enclaves in the GTA and BC.

He was propelled into the leadership by people who are not able to vote in general elections. Most of his supporters were new immigrants or those with PR status. Those people can vote for a party leader but not in general elections.

As a former NDP member, my NDP died on August 22nd, 2011.

This story, originally from the Washington Post; but republished and linked here through the National Post is on Canada turning back refugees from the U.S. land border, in particular irregular crossing points, during the pandemic.

Apparently this was done with a U.S. assurance that the persons involved in question would not be deported; but it seems that assurance was not abided by.

An impact of .37c per L on gas (over 10 years) isn't that enormous.

Based on current prices, we would still be below historically high prices we've paid at the pump.

I remember prices north of $1.40/L not so many years ago.

That was pre-fracking when prices were skyrocketing. We then had the fracking era which brought prices down. Now a lot of those frackers have gone bankrupt and supply is tighter. We could see $1.40 gas in a year or two if the Covid recovery is faster than oil production can rise. And that's the kind of thing that can make trouble for an incumbent government.

I kind of doubt they ever will, barring any geopolitical crises. Batteries and renewables are forming an effective cap on the price of oil.

Actually it's the threat of fracking and the frackers balance with the Saudis determining oil prices now. The BEV share of the current road fleet (not sales) is less than 1-2%. That's not really enough to move the needle on oil demand.

Last edited:
That was pre-fracking when prices were skyrocketing. We then had the fracking era which brought prices down. Now a lot of those frackers have gone bankrupt and supply is tighter. We could see $1.40 gas in a year or two if the Covid recovery is faster than oil production can rise. And that's the kind of thing that can make trouble for an incumbent government.

Actually it's the threat of fracking and the frackers balance with the Saudis determining oil prices now. The BEV share of the current road fleet (not sales) is less than 1-2%. That's not really enough to move the needle on oil demand.

The frackers have a lag in drilling, but it is not long. If prices spike, so too will production. Any price spike will be short lived.

In the short run, it is fracking that keeps oil prices low. If we had sustained high oil prices, it would accelerate electrification and renewables. So long run, oil can't be expensive, or it will be substituted.

Right wing twitter tried to lie about Trudeau being in Barbados, as a way to deflect from the Rod Philips scandal. He was at the official Harrington Lake residence the whole time!

Also, Niki Ashton lost her shadow critic job over some unreported travel.

Tracy Allard, the representative for Grande Prairie and Alberta's minister for municipal affairs, first apologized Thursday for an ill-timed trip to Hawaii, which saw her jet off to the island getaway on Dec. 19.

During a media conference Friday, she said the trip was part of a long-standing tradition for her family.

"We have been going to Hawaii for most of the past 17 years since our youngest child was born," she said.

However, she says her family was impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions, which prevented her from seeing her two sons.

"We did make the decision to travel with my immediate household, which is my husband and my daughter."

So, because Allard felt Alberta's International Border Testing Pilot Program was "a safe way for Albertans to travel abroad" and in order to help the airline industry, she decided to carry through with her trip.

"We were confident that we were fully compliant with Alberta's current health mandate," she said.

However, when news came to light about several Alberta government officials leaving the province for recreational purposes over the Christmas holidays, Allard said her decision, in retrospect, was an error.

"As a minister of the Crown, I know that I am held to a higher standard," she said. "I definitely made the wrong decision."

Despite admitting her mistake, Allard shied away from announcing her resignation from her post and instead "acknowledged the frustration and anger" that her actions had caused.

"Many Albertans chose to forego dearly-held traditions this Christmas with family in order to follow public health recommendations and guidelines. I know my actions seem dismissive of the frustration and grief that many have experiences. For that, I am truly and deeply sorry."

Tracy Allard, the representative for Grande Prairie and Alberta's minister for municipal affairs, first apologized Thursday for an ill-timed trip to Hawaii, which saw her jet off to the island getaway on Dec. 19.

During a media conference Friday, she said the trip was part of a long-standing tradition for her family.

"We have been going to Hawaii for most of the past 17 years since our youngest child was born," she said.

However, she says her family was impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions, which prevented her from seeing her two sons.

"We did make the decision to travel with my immediate household, which is my husband and my daughter."

So, because Allard felt Alberta's International Border Testing Pilot Program was "a safe way for Albertans to travel abroad" and in order to help the airline industry, she decided to carry through with her trip.

"We were confident that we were fully compliant with Alberta's current health mandate," she said.

However, when news came to light about several Alberta government officials leaving the province for recreational purposes over the Christmas holidays, Allard said her decision, in retrospect, was an error.

"As a minister of the Crown, I know that I am held to a higher standard," she said. "I definitely made the wrong decision."

Despite admitting her mistake, Allard shied away from announcing her resignation from her post and instead "acknowledged the frustration and anger" that her actions had caused.

"Many Albertans chose to forego dearly-held traditions this Christmas with family in order to follow public health recommendations and guidelines. I know my actions seem dismissive of the frustration and grief that many have experiences. For that, I am truly and deeply sorry."

Sigh, this was not an exception; her getting caught is the exception, so far; along w/Ontario's Finance Minister.

There will likely be more (who are caught); and more than a few who won't be.

Back