News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Feds are determined not to miss our population growth/immigration targets.

If you can't get people in from abroad.............just give status to those that are here!

Permanent residence being offered to up to 90,000 graduates of Canadian education programs as well as Foreign Temporary workers on a one-time basis.

Takes effect May 5th, runs to Nov 5th.

This isn't anything particularly new - we did that in the early 70s - and frankly it is probably the demographic we *want* to have.

AoD

This isn't anything particularly new - we did that in the early 70s - and frankly it is probably the demographic we *want* to have.

AoD

I wasn't raising an objection, merely reporting the news.

However, I will say I do think its somewhat new; in as much as its the first time in over 40 years.....1/2 the population wasn't alive the last time this was done!

I wasn't raising an objection, merely reporting the news.

However, I will say I do think its somewhat new; in as much as its the first time in over 40 years.....1/2 the population wasn't alive the last time this was done!

Wasn't responding to it critically - I just thought it was kind of an ancient policy. Guess short memories makes everything old new again.

AoD

Wasn't responding to it critically - I just thought it was kind of an ancient policy. Guess short memories makes everything old new again.

AoD

LMAO......most people have trouble remembering what they had for breakfast; or where they left their keys.

Our governments couldn't remember the lessons of SARS and that was this Millennium.

40 years ago is .......a bit too far for most, I suspect.

LMAO......most people have trouble remembering what they had for breakfast; or where they left their keys.

Our governments couldn't remember the lessons of SARS and that was this Millennium.

40 years ago is .......a bit too far for most, I suspect.

Thankfully, I neither forget, nor forgive.

AoD

I guess the pitch would be as follows.

Well, there still would be a carbon tax on every liter of fuel you buy. A job killing tax on everything, as they say. However, at least every time you pump a liter of gas, the carbon tax you are paying goes into your own personal green piggybank and not to some filthy lowlife who rides a bike to work and doesn't own a car. And you get to redeem things from your green piggy bank like one of those lame credit card gift catalogues!

I think this might just be some strange greenwashing. A carbon tax where you pay the tax to yourself but can only spend the proceeds on lame things is a much weaker incentive to reduce carbon emissions. You could just burn as much carbon as you want, but ebikes from your green piggybank and flip them on kijiji. Or buy them on request for a small discount. Elaborate money laundering scheme and no incentive to reduce emissions. If they let you use the money to buy a furnace or windows, it would represent exactly zero incentive for me to reduce emissions, because the tax is just going toward something I would have to spend money on anyway.

Last edited:
There is nothing in it that suggest serious policy changes that will lead to what matters - lower overall mobile prices. Like low-cost/occasional use - not high mobile prices overall - is the real issue.

AoD

It may make some difference; that will be up to Videotron more than anyone else; if they enter the Ontario market, we will likely prices at levels comparable to Quebec.

Which is to say, well above European levels, slightly above U.S. levels, too high, but less high than in Ontario now.

Does it open the door for US providers?

No.

The requirement is that you must be an existing licensed provider with your own infrastructure somewhere in Canada, this decision will allow access by Videotron or Eastlink to the Ontario market should they choose.

Price Data for Cell Phone Plans across Canada can be found here:

From the above:

1618531073873.png

1618531139081.png

It may make some difference; that will be up to Videotron more than anyone else; if they enter the Ontario market, we will likely prices at levels comparable to Quebec.

Which is to say, well above European levels, slightly above U.S. levels, too high, but less high than in Ontario now.

No.

The requirement is that you must be an existing licensed provider with your own infrastructure somewhere in Canada, this decision will allow access by Videotron or Eastlink to the Ontario market should they choose.

Price Data for Cell Phone Plans across Canada can be found here:

From the above:

View attachment 312899

View attachment 312900

You missed one important aspect - the asterisk in the chart- and it reads:

* indicates promotional pricing.

It's horsepoo.

AoD

Back