40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You missed one important aspect - the asterisk in the chart- and it reads:

* indicates promotional pricing.

It's horsepoo.

AoD

I didn't miss it.

This chart describes where we are at now.

I was using it to illustrated that Quebec is priced slightly lower than Ontario, which it consistently has been for several years.

Note considerably fewer * on the Quebec prices.

Take this at face value, but based on discussion with a pollster, the CPC's proposed carbon tax is going over so badly that the PPC is now up to 4% and others (like the Maverick party) are at 8% in the Prairies and Alberta.

Take this at face value, but based on discussion with a pollster, the CPC's proposed carbon tax is going over so badly that the PPC is now up to 4% and others (like the Maverick party) are at 8% in the Prairies and Alberta.

I mean the plan was always to trade Prairie votes for GTA and GVA votes.

I'm not sure that this is enough.

The Globe and Mail believes it has a comprehensive leak of the Federal Budget later today.

Obviously we'll have to wait to see how accurate it is.......

But highlights from the article:

-$10 per day Childcare modeled on the Quebec Plan (good)
- Up to 7 Billion Dollars for the purchase or construction of new public/supportive housing. (50,000 units)
- 100B stimulus ( from which the 7B above derives) that will also support transit infrastructure (no projects listed)
- Some sort of Foreign Buyers speculation tax.
- A new tax on luxury yachts, cars and planes
- Curbing the tax deduction for tax options
- A push to reduced credit card swipe fees for business
- Buckets of money to assist small business tax credits/interest free loans and expertise, particularly on buying technology.
- Money venture capital

From the WTF camp:
- Tax Credits for first time home buyers and 'Green' home renos (Does the market really need stimulating?}

Not Mentioned in the article:

- VIA HFR
- Pharmacare

The Globe and Mail believes it has a comprehensive leak of the Federal Budget later today.

Not Mentioned in the article:

- VIA HFR
- Pharmacare
VIA/HFR would surely fall under the enhancement of public transit?
They (we) can probably not cope with introducing $10 a day daycare/early childhood education and pharmacare at same time - both are really Provincial responsibilities and maybe only one battle at a time can be fought?

They (we) can probably not cope with introducing $10 a day daycare/early childhood education and pharmacare at same time - both are really Provincial responsibilities and maybe only one battle at a time can be fought?

Very true. VIA Rail enhancement can be very VERY expensive which is why they probably left it out until the fiscal situation gets a bit better.

Very true. VIA Rail enhancement can be very VERY expensive which is why they probably left it out until the fiscal situation gets a bit better.
You may e right but that is not what I said. I said that it has probably NOT been excluded as funding for it would surely come under the heading of 'public transit' - which is, supposedly, getting $$.

I guess we all need to wait until 4pm to know what's 'promised' - while realising that this will very much be an 'election display' budget where most of the ideas will, at best, only be implemented after the next election.

The way in which the article described public transit did not lead one to draw that conclusion.

But that doesn't mean its not in the budget; only that the government didn't provide that information in its leak.

Pharmacare can be phased-in; and done properly, most provinces will line up.

All the western provinces, for instance, already provide for out-patient chemotherapy drugs; but in general this is not true of Ontario and eastward; though we have programs like the Trillium benefit which help many people w/the cost.

Likewise, BC is committed to covering the cost of contraception; which is only 60M for BC so under 1/2 a billion for all of Canada..........and covering that actually saves the government more than the cost of the drug.

I see no reason we can't get those 2 classes of drugs covered off the bat (expensive cancer drugs, and contraception) and I would argue for insulin as a its a chronic medication that isn't cheap.

Then phase in the rest over a few years.

I mean we're talking 2-3B per year to start, on a 1/2 Trillion Dollar budget, or about 0.5%

No HFR and I'm staying home next election. It's getting ridiculous that the Liberals will prioritize any and every social program before infrastructure.

I'm reading the full Federal Budget as I type this...........

Here's my first pleasant surprise:

1618868924641.png

Now the next important bit will be to lift the income replacement rate; which is currently only 55% just like regular E.I.

I would argue for 75%; but think anything from 65% up would be a material improvement.

Very few Canadians have the financial ability to withstand a 45% pay cut for six months!

I'm reading the full Federal Budget as I type this...........

Here's my first pleasant surprise:

View attachment 313747

Now the next important bit will be to lift the income replacement rate; which is currently only 55% just like regular E.I.

I would argue for 75%; but think anything from 65% up would be a material improvement.

Very few Canadians have the financial ability to withstand a 45% pay cut for six months!

Totally agreed. I don't follow the logic of the decision to think that 55% is anywhere near sufficient...

I'm really disappointed. Nothing to really help the middle class on housing. They didn't commit to launch HFR. Best case scenario is some middle class folks might benefit from cheaper childcare years from now.

This is the Kathleen Wynne strategy. Lots of money for every bleeding heart. Middle class stuck with the bill and no tangible and discernible benefit. Particularly millennials. They might get lucky with the next election. But eventually, this ends for them just like the Wynne Liberals.

I'm not sure what they could do. It's supply and demand, the only way to get the prices down is to increase supply.

Plenty they could do.

For one, how about tracking capital into the country so that Canadian real estate isn't being used to launder money.

Next, you can't say "supply is tight", and then bring in 400k immigrants a year, while not substantially increasing spending on public housing. Go look at forums full of Millennials. There's a lot of anger and it's driving a ton of xenophobia. If we have a supply crunch, why are we allowing any foreigners to own homes?

And for that matter, if we have a supply shortage, why is the government not cracking down on investors, particularly those resorting to HELOC leveraging to invest in real estate?

Dunno if you've seen the Adam Vaughan interview making the rounds. But that is increasingly coming across as, "Let them eat cake.". He basically told Steve Paikin that the government wouldn't allow a 10% drop in home prices after a 25% YOY gain.

One look at any forum full of under-35s and you'll see how palpable the anger is on this file.

Back