News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Star article on the ongoing situation in Pt. Roberts Washington. (could obviously go in the U.S. thread, but I think fits here too)

The end of the article includes a quote that really does make the case for transferring this area to Canada:

1624444567352.png

For context, the quote is from Brian Calder, with their local chamber of commerce.

Agreed.

A more modern building is required that is capable of acting as a command center much like 10 Downing Street.

They could do so much more if they rebuilt it like the addition of a bunker or modern facilities.

I get it has heritage value but they need a functional building not just a historical one.

Tear it down and rebuild it for a modern age.

It's only got to this point because too many successive residents have hand their hands in the pie rather than let the NCC do its job. It does have heritage value going back to the 1860s (although only in government hands since 1951). It's only a residence with some meeting space, unlike 10 Downing or the White House which include facilities for their Executive.

I think that it's at the point where demolition is the only practical option. I'm not a contractor but $24Mn to renovate? They could probably level it and build new for ten. My only caveat is my fear what design a government committee would come up with, either on their own or after the politicians got a hold of it. I did see an item a few days ago where a faculty of architecture (Ottawa? Carleton?) released some proposals, but I didn't really look at them that closely.

As it stands now, it is a national embarrassment.

They could always do the classic Canadian "save the front facade" thing and build entirely new behind it...

And yes, include a state-of-the-art command centre as others have suggested.

It's only got to this point because too many successive residents have hand their hands in the pie rather than let the NCC do its job. It does have heritage value going back to the 1860s (although only in government hands since 1951). It's only a residence with some meeting space, unlike 10 Downing or the White House which include facilities for their Executive.

I think that it's at the point where demolition is the only practical option. I'm not a contractor but $24Mn to renovate? They could probably level it and build new for ten. My only caveat is my fear what design a government committee would come up with, either on their own or after the politicians got a hold of it. I did see an item a few days ago where a faculty of architecture (Ottawa? Carleton?) released some proposals, but I didn't really look at them that closely.

Honestly, if they are to redevelop it they need to take it out of the hands of the government. Whatever party or persons are in power should not be allowed to modify the building in any way except aesthetically (and changeable).

A full tear down as I said, would allow for a more modern building with modern facilities capable of handling any emergency that may arise.

My biggest fear if they tear it down is that it will turn into some overpriced debacle involving award-winning architects that design for effect, not for functionality. I am not saying it does not have to look good, I am only saying that we don't need Frank Gehry designing the building. .

Honestly, if they are to redevelop it they need to take it out of the hands of the government. Whatever party or persons are in power should not be allowed to modify the building in any way except aesthetically (and changeable).

A full tear down as I said, would allow for a more modern building with modern facilities capable of handling any emergency that may arise.

My biggest fear if they tear it down is that it will turn into some overpriced debacle involving award-winning architects that design for effect, not for functionality. I am not saying it does not have to look good, I am only saying that we don't need Frank Gehry designing the building. .
It does not belong to 'the government" , like most/all buildings of this kind (i.e. Stornoway) the building is owned by the National Capitol Commission. It is also a designated National Historic Building. The reason that they cannot just 'tear it down and rebuild it" (apart from the historic building designation) is that they need $$$$$ to do the job. Inevitably the (additional) money will come from the government (or parliament) and THAT is where the politicians get into things. Pretty much everyone agrees 'something needs to be done", nobody wants to be seen as being responsible for approving what will be a large expenditure. Stalemate!

This is just sad. A stain on our country.

What's worse is that the Catholic Church is assuming no responsibility for this utterly horrific act of Genocide.

Call it what you will, but there is no excuse for what transpired at this schools. We took them from their families forcibly indoctrinated them and then chucked them in a ditch when they died.

The church knew what they were doing, they did not care and now they should answer for their actions.

The actions taken by the church were deliberate. They knew they were causing mass deaths in their facilities and did nothing. That is the very definition of Genocide.

Right now, the Catholic Church is no better than a Congolese warlord.

It's not a straight remodel like a personal home would be though. There are likely costs in there associated with protective features and infrastructure resilience.
By comparison, when the White House was rebuilt it ended up costing $50 million in today's dollars. Trump wanted $400 million to renovate the West Wing most recently.

What's worse is that the Catholic Church is assuming no responsibility for this utterly horrific act of Genocide.

Call it what you will, but there is no excuse for what transpired at this schools. We took them from their families forcibly indoctrinated them and then chucked them in a ditch when they died.

The church knew what they were doing, they did not care and now they should answer for their actions.

The actions taken by the church were deliberate. They knew they were causing mass deaths in their facilities and did nothing. That is the very definition of Genocide.

Right now, the Catholic Church is no better than a Congolese warlord.

The CC probably don't want to assume responsibility because it they don't want to assume the liability.

AoD

I see that Jody Wilson-Raybould is as touchy as ever. Many commentators have noted that the pension vesting date could well influence whether MPs are in favour of a dissolution and election. "Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett apologized to Jody Wilson-Raybould on Thursday after sending her a text message suggesting that Wilson-Raybould doesn’t want a federal election because it would imperil her pension — a charge the Indigenous MP described as “racist” and “misogynistic.”" It may be untrue in Wilson-Raybould's case that she has 'pension concerns' but it is true that she is probably going to have a very hard time being re-elected as an Independent....

This is just sad. A stain on our country.

It is.

Though, without excusing the countless problems and abuses associated with Residential Schools in the least........

It is important to add some context.

In Toronto we've almost all walked, driven or played over unmarked graves.
There are bodies under the school yard at St. Paul's Elementary on Queen; more still under the parking lot at Metropolitan United on Queen.............
It was not an uncommon practice, particularly in the era of Cholera to quickly bury anyone; particularly if they didn't come from a family of means.

Many deaths at Residential Schools were the result of abuse; all of them in as much as the children shouldn't have been brought there............but the majority of the deaths were the result
of communicable diseases like Measles. That insufficient action was taken to protect the children, in many cases, is known; though death from such diseases existed in the general population as well.

Last edited:

Back