News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Joint Statement of Commitment of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate on Documentation Transparency Regarding Residential Schools

From link.

We are two Catholic religious communities of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (commonly known as the Oblates) and were involved in operating many of the residential schools throughout Canada. The Oblates operated 48 schools, including the Marieval Indian Residential School and the Kamloops Indian Residential School. We remain deeply sorry for our involvement in residential schools and the harms they brought to Indigenous peoples and communities.

We want to reiterate our commitment and intent to disclose all historical documents maintained by us and in our possession, in accordance with all legislation, about our involvement.

With today’s disclosure of the 751 unmarked graves at the former Marieval Indian Residential School on the lands of the Cowessess First Nation, and the recent disclosure of the remains of 215 children at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School on the lands of Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc, we offer this formal commitment statement.

Consistent with the Oblate Apology, given in 1991, our two Oblate religious communities (OMI Lacombe Canada and Notre-Dame-du-Cap) have worked to make our historical documents available through partnerships with universities, archives and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. While some progress has been made, this disclosure is not complete, and has been complicated by issues of provincial and national privacy laws.

We are not experts in the management and analysis of these historical documents or the complex privacy laws which apply. However, we must address these issues, as without a full review of the existing historical documentation from our order’s involvement, the truth of residential schools will not be fully known. Recognising that we are not the appropriate organisations to determine which documents can be released within the law, we are seeking guidance and instruction from expert organisations. And we further acknowledge that delays can cause ongoing distrust, distress, and trauma to Indigenous peoples across British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and the rest of the country.

For this reason, we declare that our commitment to transparency involves the following:

• We will disclose and not block access to the historical documents maintained by us and in our possession, as is possible within the law, to establish the truth of what happened in residential schools;
  • We will seek guidance from and work with First Nations and federal and provincial governments on these matters;
  • We will work with bishops and other leaders in the Catholic church to support full truth in these matters.

Ken-Thorson-small.jpg

Fr. Ken Thorson, OMI
Provincial – OMI Lacombe Canada

Am I wrong for not understanding this? Nothing has changed, anyone saying otherwise was burying their head in the sand. If we're taking flags down now and cancelling Canada day why didnt we do that 20 years ago?

Canada is not the same country it was, confronting the past doesn't meaning tearing down the country in the present. I am proud to be Canadian and I will continue to be proud to be Canadian. I'm not proud of what we did to indigenous people, but I did not put them in residential schools, I wasnt even alive. Instead I've spent ample time in indigenous communities working with natives, learning from them and listening to what they have to say, in hopes of moving towards reconciliation and breaking the cycle of generational trauma.

I'll still celebrate this country because I love this country and I believe in the values that it stands for and want to see those values put into action. Please tell me I'm not crazy for thinking this. Like I really dont get this whole cancel Canada Day stuff

We should be taking down flags if we think Canada, on balance, is bad. The residential school system is definitely one of the darkest marks on Canada's history, but I don't think it renders the whole endeavour irredeemable. Same goes with Canada Day festivities. It should be used as a time to reflect on our history, both good and bad.

Payable at age 55 or 65 (depending) and is capped as a % of their parliamentary income (complex, like all pension calculations). Their contribution rates are now in the range of 20-odd percent of their income.

I imagine McKenna has done the math and will ensure to sit tight until Oct 22nd.

Last edited:
Who is “he”?
I was referring to the quoted story headline, which says the retirement of McKenna "creates a possible opening for Mark Carney". I am assuming he would choose to run in Toronto instead of Ottawa based on my belief that he still lives here, but that assumption could be wrong.

The right was absolutely ruthless towards McKenna on social media, including more than just “climate Barbie.” There were legitimate criticisms of McKenna’s tenure - I’m more partial to the left wing arguments - but none of the vitriol was acceptable.

Mark Carney reminds me a lot of Michael Ignatieff. A brilliant thinker who spent time abroad and might not have the political “chops” to be a politician. I also think Carney’s tenure as a VP at Goldman Sachs could be political poison for the Grits and a gift for the NDP.

The right was absolutely ruthless towards McKenna on social media, including more than just “climate Barbie.” There were legitimate criticisms of McKenna’s tenure - I’m more partial to the left wing arguments - but none of the vitriol was acceptable.

Mark Carney reminds me a lot of Michael Ignatieff. A brilliant thinker who spent time abroad and might not have the political “chops” to be a politician. I also think Carney’s tenure as a VP at Goldman Sachs could be political poison for the Grits and a gift for the NDP.
As opposed to Mr Bay Street Insider Morneau?

You could be right, but he does have experience in the machinations of bureaucracy, whereas Ignatieff was more of an academic. I don't think he would be as much as a naïf. He's also wouldn't be running for leadership (yet).

Reactions: DSC

Back