News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I see that Jody Wilson-Raybould is as touchy as ever. Many commentators have noted that the pension vesting date could well influence whether MPs are in favour of a dissolution and election. "Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett apologized to Jody Wilson-Raybould on Thursday after sending her a text message suggesting that Wilson-Raybould doesn’t want a federal election because it would imperil her pension — a charge the Indigenous MP described as “racist” and “misogynistic.”" It may be untrue in Wilson-Raybould's case that she has 'pension concerns' but it is true that she is probably going to have a very hard time being re-elected as an Independent....
JWR has the racism and sexism card on speed dial.

I think it is becoming clear that we are only going to see more and more reports of unrecorded deaths of first nations children at the hands of the residential school system. Maybe this is the kind of horror needed to break the most intransigent Canadians out of resisting the need for reconciliation. It is going to be much worse than most people are prepared for. The Catholic Church withholding documents is going to become untenable as they literally know where the bodies are buried.

JWR has the racism and sexism card on speed dial.

Even if that's true, Carolyn Bennett is stupid to have done what she did - especially as the Minister responsible for Crown-Indigenous relations.

I think it is becoming clear that we are only going to see more and more reports of unrecorded deaths of first nations children at the hands of the residential school system. Maybe this is the kind of horror needed to break the most intransigent Canadians out of resisting the need for reconciliation. It is going to be much worse than most people are prepared for. The Catholic Church withholding documents is going to become untenable as they literally know where the bodies are buried.

The sad thing is that there is absolutely nothing that new about the revelations - only that there are now physical bodies found. The question is - why did Canadians need that to finally believe in this horror? We had ample evidence - we just chose not to care.

AoD

They could always do the classic Canadian "save the front facade" thing and build entirely new behind it...

And yes, include a state-of-the-art command centre as others have suggested.

The federal government already has an emergency operations centre, and many individual departments and agencies also have their own, Twenty-four Sussex is a residence, period, with some facilities for personal staff and small entertaining on four acres. It is not the same as 10 Downing (which is a complex of adjoined buildings consisting of, apparently, 100 rooms) or the White House which both house Executive and other state facilities. Our executive facilities are on The Hill.

If folks are thinking about some kind of cold war-esque bunker, with the yield and accuracy of today's nuclear weapons, that would pretty much be pointless. Even the venerable NORAD Cheyanne Mountain (built three after ours) could not survive a direct hit.

The basics for an operations centre these days are facilities, communications, access (including parking, which 24 Sussex has virtually no space for) and sustainability (power,, water, food, temporary accommodations, etc.).

I don't understand why people continue to single out the catholic church. Both the government and the church are equally at fault. There is no way in hell the government didnt know what was going on at those schools and they still picked up kids and took them there.

It wasnt like the church came along out of it's own volition and said we're making these school and FN kids are coming to them and the Gov has no say over the matter. It was literally the government's idea. Both parties are responsible and both most certainly have records and it's time both are put under the microscope.

Also this is no more a stain on our country than it was before these discoveries were made. Anyone familiar with our history already knew this was the reality. The fact that this is now starting to come out in the open instead of us continuing to hide it is a huge positive. These things have already happened and nothing can change that. Its abhorrent and terrible, but every new discovery is something that happened decades ago and paves a road forward for the country to heal

I don't understand why people continue to single out the catholic church. Both the government and the church are equally at fault. There is no way in hell the government didnt know what was going on at those schools and they still picked up kids and took them there.

It wasnt like the church came along out of it's own volition and said we're making these school and FN kids are coming to them and the Gov has no say over the matter. It was literally the government's idea. Both parties are responsible and both most certainly have records and it's time both are put under the microscope.

Also this is no more a stain on our country than it was before these discoveries were made. Anyone familiar with our history already knew this was the reality. The fact that this is now starting to come out in the open instead of us continuing to hide it is a huge positive. These things have already happened and nothing can change that. Its abhorrent and terrible, but every new discovery is something that happened decades ago and paves a road forward for the country to heal

I will agree that the Catholic Church is being centred out; the Anglican Church operated some as well, but my understanding that the Catholic orders were far and away to majority player.

I think one reason why some people are on CC's case is because of their intransigence on allowing access to their files - though at the same time I wonder how fair it would be to hold them completely liable when all involved in their org had been dead for ages. Tough questions - but for starters the question around liability should be set aside to facilitate access to these files for forensic purposes - the attribution of guilt can come later.

AoD

I think that all we actually know is that the graves that are being 'discovered' are unmarked - some may also be of unrecorded deaths. There is no suggestion that all are unknown and the Chief of the Cowessess First Nation stated that they do not know if all are of children and that in the 1960 a number of grave markers were removed. In some cases, I am told, there are graveyard 'maps' that identify whose body is buried where though I am not sure if that's the case here.

I think one reason why some people are on CC's case is because of their intransigence on allowing access to their files - though at the same time I wonder how fair it would be to hold them completely liable when all involved in their org had been dead for ages. Tough questions - but for starters the question around liability should be set aside to facilitate access to these files for forensic purposes - the attribution of guilt can come later.

AoD

But organized religion, especially the Catholic Church, is a business, and they know their records will eventually be turned against them. I am actually not surprised that the federal government of the day tossed money at the churches and said 'go forth and run schools' with little accountability; heck we still have that to a significant degree today when the government doles out money. Somebody was willing to operate their program and they were willing to let them. If there are government records at Library and Archives Canada I am assuming the aggrieved parties have long since tried to look for them.

We have to remember that First Nations history is largely oral. There is disagreement on the source and antiquity of the written system of syllabics but I'm not aware of any written body of original First Nations history, let alone their own records of events surrounding residential schools.

Even if that's true, Carolyn Bennett is stupid to have done what she did - especially as the Minister responsible for Crown-Indigenous relations.
I think JWR's knee jerk defense assumes no real or perceived character flaw of any member of a disadvantaged group can be described without it being an instantiation of whatever form of discrimination applies, be it racism, sexism, etc. Many people, including some on this forum, said that MPs would be resistant to an election before some of their pensions vest. Are they are racists and misogynists as well?

Is JWR ableist for calling into question the ethics of our dear PM, who suffers from speech pathology?

This way lies madness. JWR: you're a politician. Take your unsubstantiated character attacks like everyone else.

I think JWR's knee jerk defense assumes no real or perceived character flaw of any member of a disadvantaged group can be described without it being an instantiation of whatever form of discrimination applies, be it racism, sexism, etc. Many people, including some on this forum, said that MPs would be resistant to an election before some of their pensions vest. Are they are racists and misogynists as well?

Is JWR ableist for calling into question the ethics of our dear PM, who suffers from speech pathology?

This way lies madness. JWR: you're a politician. Take your unsubstantiated character attacks like everyone else.

JWR can say whatever she likes as an independent - Carolyn Bennett, given the gravity of her file and the current optics, should act above the fray. It's not about JWR, it's about CB's own behaviour - it's not a good play if you end up having to apologize for what you've said.

AoD

Back