News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

GPC will live on. Paul is just refusing to see the writing on the wall and resign. How does she think she will come back from this?

GPC will live on. Paul is just refusing to see the writing on the wall and resign. How does she think she will come back from this?

Limp on, sure - but this sort of public internecine warfare suggests deep splits within the party, and communicate to potential voters for the party it isn't ready for prime time (instead of one for LOLs). It will take awhile to heal, if that.

AoD

I posted an old poll here which shows that the Greens take as many votes away from the Liberals as they do the NDP.

And a fair few from Conservatives in some constituencies as well.

Limp on, sure - but this sort of public internecine warfare suggests deep splits within the party, and communicate to potential voters for the party it isn't ready for prime time (instead of one for LOLs). It will take awhile to heal, if that.

AoD

What they need is a proper leader like a modern day Bob Hunter.

The leader needs to be more than a pretty face, they also need to believe in the cause. If the leader is only interested in the position, the message is doomed to failure.

AoD
GPC is purely protest vote at this point. I don't think too many of their supporters are really swayed one way or the other by the leader but are making a statement about their support for the broad ideological position of the party.

Even as a purely protest vote, the current leadership of Annamie Paul makes the Green Party completely unpalatable as an option to vote for.

The Green Party is barely a legitimate party at this moment. I am sorry to say it, but all the gains made under Elizabeth May were completely undone in just a few months, and seemingly completely self-inflicted.

The Green Party is barely a legitimate party at this moment. I am sorry to say it, but all the gains made under Elizabeth May were completely undone in just a few months, and seemingly completely self-inflicted.

I am an NDP supporter but I actually liked Elizabeth May. She was the best of both worlds focusing on the environment while also being a balanced supporter of the everyday good.

The problem I find with Annamie Paul is that she is a hardliner without any sort of middle ground. There is no compromise, only her way or the highway which rubs alot of people the wrong way.

As I said before, if the Green Party is to survive it needs a more moderate leader that believes in the environment and the betterment of Canada.

I am an NDP supporter but I actually liked Elizabeth May. She was the best of both worlds focusing on the environment while also being a balanced supporter of the everyday good.

The problem I find with Annamie Paul is that she is a hardliner without any sort of middle ground. There is no compromise, only her way or the highway which rubs alot of people the wrong way.

As I said before, if the Green Party is to survive it needs a more moderate leader that believes in the environment and the betterment of Canada.

Is Paul a hardliner? They've been so preoccupied with infighting I couldn't tell you a single policy of theirs, other than vague concepts of "environment = good." Also, unlike May, Paul doesn't have charisma, which I think will hurt her against the much more affable Trudeau and Singh on the debate stage.

Seems like she is just a bad politician when it comes to the backroom stuff.

New wire story from the Canadian Press
Four party sources, who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about internal matters, say a motion was tabled at a federal council meeting on June 29 to hold back $250,000 previously earmarked for Paul's campaign in Toronto Centre.
At this point, she really should resign. If they are actively sabotaging her campaign to get her to do just that then she actually looks worse for staying and fighting.
The adult way out is to have a clean break with a press conference that starts with "I'm done with this shit. I didn't sign up to be the leader of a high school politics club for melodramatic teenagers."
The problem is, I think that's what she did sign up for.

New wire story from the Canadian Press

At this point, she really should resign. If they are actively sabotaging her campaign to get her to do just that then she actually looks worse for staying and fighting.
The adult way out is to have a clean break with a press conference that starts with "I'm done with this shit. I didn't sign up to be the leader of a high school politics club for melodramatic teenagers."
The problem is, I think that's what she did sign up for.

Toronto Centre is a Liberal stronghold with the occasional NDP MPP. They could have earmarked 1 million dollars and it would not have made a difference in Toronto Centre. Hell, the riding has been a liberal stronghold since 1993!

With all the financial issues within the party, it makes sense to withhold the funds given how impossible it would be for her to win that riding. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

She is f***ing nuts, completely bonkers and whacked out her gourd if she thinks she will win ANYWHERE in Toronto (or the GTA). Her best bet would be to resign for the sake of the party. Failing that she should try running in BC or Guelph.

Toronto Centre is a Liberal stronghold with the occasional NDP MPP. They could have earmarked 1 million dollars and it would not have made a difference in Toronto Centre. Hell, the riding has been a liberal stronghold since 1993!

With all the financial issues within the party, it makes sense to withhold the funds given how impossible it would be for her to win that riding. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

She is f***ing nuts, completely bonkers and whacked out her gourd if she thinks she will win ANYWHERE in Toronto (or the GTA). Her best bet would be to resign for the sake of the party. Failing that she should try running in BC or Guelph.

I agree that Guelph was the logical place for her to run. She came a strong second in Toronto Centre, but with all the recent inner party strife and bad press, Paul doesn’t have a chance in the next general.

I agree that Guelph was the logical place for her to run. She came a strong second in Toronto Centre, but with all the recent inner party strife and bad press, Paul doesn’t have a chance in the next general.

Exactly and when she fails to win a seat she will be involuntarily turfed.

I can see the Greens failing to win any seats this coming election.

With that being said...

I checked and since there was no open thread for the 44th Canadian Federal Election I created a catch all thread here https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/44th-canadian-federal-election.32521/

Not sure if will ever be used but it is there to consolidate theories and information such as they are.

Back